ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thumb NYC commuters?

This is now basically a catch-all NYC thread. If you live, commute, ride or think about riding in the NYC area post here. Questions about dealing with the traffic, parking, things to do, places to find parts and service (good luck) rants and raves about pedestrians, whatever lets hear it!

-----------------------------

How many NYC commuters here? I ride in 3-4 times a week from LIC on an XT225, a KLR650 before that. (I upgraded) I donít see too many other dual sports so I was wondering who else is out there mixing it up with the evil yellow and black cars everyday.

Karl

LusterBroil screwed with this post 12-18-2006 at 07:15 AM
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
I use to until Sat. when an SUV T Boned me and put me in the hospital for 4 days. Be careful! The fucker ran a red light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
How many NYC commuters here? I ride in 3-4 times a week from LIC on an XT225, a KLR650 before that. (I upgraded) I donít see too many other dual sports so I was wondering who else is out there mixing it up with the evil yellow and black cars everyday.

Karl
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 719
Hey Karl--I may have met you to look at your KLR when you were selling it... Kind of behind a bar under the approach to the bridge? I commute everyday there's not significant snow or heavy rain. I freelance, so that usually means the city but sometimes all over--this week has been long island. In the normal riding season, I don't take the KLR into the city b/c I'm too paranoid about it getting ripped off... instead I ride my nighthawk. In the winter the nighthawk is put up and I ride the KLR everywhere, pull the plate and chain it to light posts. I still come back to it each evening expecting to see it missing.

How do you like the XT? They're cool looking little bikes. You should drop by Matchless some Monday night, it's just across the creek. Usually at least a couple folks on dual sports (sometimes only me on a dual sport if you don't count BMWs)

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,638
I've been commuting into one part or another of NYC for the past 6 years. Down town, Mid town and now in Queens. I find it's the buses that are the most bothersome. They seem to outright hate bikers.
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws ó always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' ó not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeikis
Hey Karl--I may have met you to look at your KLR when you were selling it...

How do you like the XT? They're cool looking little bikes. You should drop by Matchless some Monday night, it's just across the creek. Usually at least a couple folks on dual sports (sometimes only me on a dual sport if you don't count BMWs)

-Luke
Hey Luke, Yup thatís me. I found somebody that wanted to trade the XT for my KLR. He was touring the Americas on it and already accumulated 10K riding from California and into Canada. He wanted the KLR before heading down to South America.

Iím glad I got the XT, I find myself riding in a lot more with the smaller bike. Itís really a lot more fun in traffic than the 650, more like a mountain bike with a motor. I have to be a little careful not and try to squeeze through every little gap in traffic. And off road itís a total blast. Not the fastest bike on the trail but compared to the mighty KLR itís a pure joy to ride in the tight stuff or deep sand. That KLR was way too much like work for me off road.

Busses are scary, I total assume they either donít see me, or are trying to run me over. And this is true on my XT or a bicycle.

And Jolly705 Damn that sucks. I hope everything turns out OK. What was reason the SUV failed to stop? Heal well,

Karl
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
i commute daily unless there's snow, ice or temperature drops below 30. almost four years: first on dakar, now on caponord. i use to see few guys on gses in weekdays' mornings. one heading south on fdr. another one in fifth avenue - sometimes with female on pillion.

get well, jolly.
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Busses are scary, I total assume they either donít see me, or are trying to run me over.
in my experience, busses are the safest vehicles in streets (besides other bikes). they are predictable and simply to heavy and slow to surprise me. yellow cabs are much worse. i don't want to be called a racist which i am not, so i'll stop here.
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
in my experience, busses are the safest vehicles in streets (besides other bikes). they are predictable and simply to heavy and slow to surprise me. yellow cabs are much worse. i don't want to be called a racist which i am not, so i'll stop here.
True, busses are at least predictable. They donít make left turns from the extreme right lane or any number of otherwise totally asinine maneuvers that cabs pull every day. But busses tend to run red lights and for some reason try and crush me when I am next to them, I think itís a sport for bus drivers.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
Hey Yarrai

I agree, but I think the black lincoln towncars (kind of poorman's limo's) are THEE WORST!!!!

I can generally predict buses, less the cabs.

The worst thing is the J walking pedestrians
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #10
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The worst thing is the J walking pedestrians[/QUOTE

Yes, peds are the worst. The one thing I worry about the most is hitting a damn pedestrian. When Iím filtering along through traffic I always scan the sidewalk and possible ped infiltration points for one that looks like a potential darter. It is amazing that some people here in the city have no concept of what is using the street other than cars. When people step off the sidewalk mid-block from behind a parked cargo van are they really assuming that if the cars are stopped nothing else is moving? Donít they ever see the bicycles, motorcycles, rollerbladers, hotdog carts, horses, or whatever other street user thatís not as wide as a car? People just walk on out there without so much as a look in the direction of traffic.
I really do keep it slow, like under 10mph if I donít have good visibility of potential threats. I figure any speed is better than 0.

Anyone know what sort of blame would be applied for a J-walking incident involving a motorcycle moving through stopped traffic? I know that when a car strikes a ped that darts out from a parked car or whatever the driver is usually not found at fault. It is illegal for a pedestrian to cross if a crosswalk is provided at each end of the block.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
The worst thing is the J walking pedestrians[/QUOTE

Yes, peds are the worst. The one thing I worry about the most is hitting a damn pedestrian. When Iím filtering along through traffic I always scan the sidewalk and possible ped infiltration points for one that looks like a potential darter. It is amazing that some people here in the city have no concept of what is using the street other than cars. When people step off the sidewalk mid-block from behind a parked cargo van are they really assuming that if the cars are stopped nothing else is moving? Donít they ever see the bicycles, motorcycles, rollerbladers, hotdog carts, horses, or whatever other street user thatís not as wide as a car? People just walk on out there without so much as a look in the direction of traffic.
I really do keep it slow, like under 10mph if I donít have good visibility of potential threats. I figure any speed is better than 0.

Anyone know what sort of blame would be applied for a J-walking incident involving a motorcycle moving through stopped traffic? I know that when a car strikes a ped that darts out from a parked car or whatever the driver is usually not found at fault. It is illegal for a pedestrian to cross if a crosswalk is provided at each end of the block.

I figure you're fucked if you hit one, legally too.

I find loud pipes are the best way to scare the bejeesuz out of the fools who step out in J walk mode.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I figure you're fucked if you hit one, legally too.

I find loud pipes are the best way to scare the bejeesuz out of the fools who step out in J walk mode.
ipod piercing loud!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
ipod piercing loud!

It's all about the vibration, resonating. They could be deaf, but they still feel it.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #14
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 659
commuting

Been commuting 46 mi rt from NW Joisey every day (except snow/ice) since the blackout in Aug '03. Started out on the DR200 and now on the DRZ400s. Got an extra set of wheels for commuting and then change 'em (along w/ front sprocket) on wknds w/ DOT knobbies for dirt riding. I try to avoid using the SV650s for commuting, steer clear of the buses, share the lanes w/ other commuters and keep speed down and 8 eyes out when splitting on the side streets w/ the suicidal peds.
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #15
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet from Joisey
Been commuting 46 mi rt from NW Joisey every day (except snow/ice) since the blackout in Aug '03. Started out on the DR200 and now on the DRZ400s. Got an extra set of wheels for commuting and then change 'em (along w/ front sprocket) on wknds w/ DOT knobbies for dirt riding. I try to avoid using the SV650s for commuting, steer clear of the buses, share the lanes w/ other commuters and keep speed down and 8 eyes out when splitting on the side streets w/ the suicidal peds.

smart