ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Winter commuting thread

Got tips? Need advice? Wanna brag about the fact that you are still riding your motorcycle in January? This is the place.
Welcome, my hardcore breatheren. You are among friends. So, who's still riding everyday?

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We should develop some type of algorithm. Say, for every mile of your ride you get 2 points and every degree below 32F you get 1 point and you multiply them together. So this morning my ride was a ((18 miles x 2)x(16)) 576 on the cold factor scale.

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,150
Therapists….

How about a list of therapists in each area for the riders crazy enough to go out in this kinda weather?

Seriously, the most important tip is that when the temperature is below freezing, the wet spots may be black ice. Also, even on a nice sunny day, the places on the country roads in the shade can STILL have black ice. And the sun melts the snow off of hills onto roads, where the water freezes.

Second tip. Always have a backup for the electric gear. If the heated grips or gloves fail, have the chem-packs ready to keep your fingers from freezing. Keep an extra layer with you if the heated vest fails.

Finally, get some decent waterproof and insulated boots. Nothing worse then cold feet. LLB has some decent ones.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,113
I think if you are going to ride in the winter,an investment in some studded tires should be seriously considered.
The ones from Aerostitch should due the trick for commuting.
I think a set of TKC 80's with 100 of the studs in each tire would keep you smooth sailing.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 11-19-2014 at 09:55 AM
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
mulderdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Oddly my ride to work yesterday was also a 576. not so odd i guess when you consider we live in the same small state ! somewhat of an exception, the ride home was higher at 648. Usually the warmer ride home justifies the chilly AM ride. the first couple cold rides of the season are a bit of a shock, then you settle in and the enjoyment settles in !! The morning newspaper as a wind protector/insulator is my best friend……
be safe
mulderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
misterbee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
a little chilly start this AM at 17F on my vstrom thermometer starting in western CT. 80 miles later in NYC it was 28F.

I had never ridden in that low of a temp and besides some chilly feet by the finish it was no problem.

i have hippo hands and heated grips. otherwise no heat, but lots of stuff from my mountaineering kit keeps me warm and cozy.

so how about 80*2*15 = 2400
misterbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
How about a list of therapists in each area for the riders crazy enough to go out in this kinda weather?

Seriously, the most important tip is that when the temperature is below freezing, the wet spots may be black ice. Also, even on a nice sunny day, the places on the country roads in the shade can STILL have black ice. And the sun melts the snow off of hills onto roads, where the water freezes.

Second tip. Always have a backup for the electric gear. If the heated grips or gloves fail, have the chem-packs ready to keep your fingers from freezing. Keep an extra layer with you if the heated vest fails.

Finally, get some decent waterproof and insulated boots. Nothing worse then cold feet. LLB has some decent ones.
All very good suggestions. I find my dog to be a good therapist. Best listener I've ever met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I think if you are going to ride in the winter an investment in some studded tires should be seriously considered.
The ones from Aerostitch should due the trick for commuting.
I think a set of TKC 80's with a 100 of the studs in each tire would keep you smooth sailing.
I always thought about studs and it would eliminate one more excuse - ice and snow. I spoke with one of the parts guys at Max in NY and he used studs to commute in the winter. Hard core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderdog View Post
Oddly my ride to work yesterday was also a 576. not so odd i guess when you consider we live in the same small state ! somewhat of an exception, the ride home was higher at 648. Usually the warmer ride home justifies the chilly AM ride. the first couple cold rides of the season are a bit of a shock, then you settle in and the enjoyment settles in !! The morning newspaper as a wind protector/insulator is my best friend……
be safe
Newspaper? Under your jacket? Genius! Do you ride when there is a chance of ice or snow? Right now that is the only environmental factor that keeps me from riding.
Was thinking about the hack idea for snow but thats alot of money for a few rides a year.

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
misterbee
Adventurer

a new piece i tried today was a uniqlo hooded down jacket. the hood fits nicely under my helmet and it's cut high enough across the brow where it won't slip down and block vision when I put the helmet on. best part is it's way cheaper than typical outdoor brand down gear. I wore this under a marathon stretch kevlar motoport jacket.

that and a vapor therm mask from RBHdesigns and i can't even feel the cold on my neck/face/head.

I had on compression socks + thick old school knee high wool socks and Alpinestars Toucan boots.

pants i had on firstgear insulated liner/waterproof shell pants and EMS power stretch tights.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, I sent an email to NBC Connecticut yesterday. I tend to watch Bob Maxon in the morning around 6 for the forecast. I asked him if he would make reference to motorcycles in his morning forecast (at least on days that it was relevant) as the very small pockets of ice or flash ice just before dawn may effect bikes but not cars. I told him there is a small dedicated community to riders that would appreciate it and it would be well received by the motorcycle community in general. Stay tuned...

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbee View Post
a new piece i tried today was a uniqlo hooded down jacket. the hood fits nicely under my helmet and it's cut high enough across the brow where it won't slip down and block vision when I put the helmet on. best part is it's way cheaper than typical outdoor brand down gear. I wore this under a marathon stretch kevlar motoport jacket.

that and a vapor therm mask from RBHdesigns and i can't even feel the cold on my neck/face/head.

I had on compression socks + thick old school knee high wool socks and Alpinestars Toucan boots.

pants i had on firstgear insulated liner/waterproof shell pants and EMS power stretch tights.
2400! Great information misterbee. Thanks for sharing!

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
misterbee
Adventurer

no problem, since i was first a winter moutaineer before riding i learned a lot on how to survive in minus 40 weather in terrible mountain conditions. fortunately most the gear works on the bike.

i'll admit i had on a little more gear but didnt want to scare ya'll away!

over the tights i had on a pair of mountain hardwear synthetic insulated pants. and under the uniqlo down jacket i had on a ultralight synthetic jacket that is thin like a sweater but much warmer.

FYI the firstgear pants are sized one size too big to allow all this crap.

of all the gear i think the RBH mask makes the most difference. i love their stuff and use it head to toe when winter backpacking in subfreezing weather.

hardly anyone knows about it...and its locally made in CT. the socks are nice too but i can't find my pair right now.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well that's a helpful background!
I wear a tourmaster transition 2 jacket with a sweater or sweatshirt underneath, tourmaster winter elite 2 gloves, castle streetwear pants with my work pants underneath. I also have a cheap fleece balaclava from Walmart that I wear under my XD4. On my feet I just have steel toe work boots with heavy socks.
I do have a few accommodations on my bike tho - heated grips and bar muffs (cheapies from BG for a quad but they work well) and some ebay wind/water blockers for my feet which help out alot. But then again, my ride wasn't a 2400

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
2upadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Max BMW is having a winter mileage contest starting on Nov 29. sign up at any of their store locations. I believe you need to have your bike present for mileage verification.
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
misterbee
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upadv View Post
Max BMW is having a winter mileage contest starting on Nov 29. sign up at any of their store locations. I believe you need to have your bike present for mileage verification.
Good to know. Think I'll be tough competition doing 172 miles five days a week!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
mtrdrms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool! Can't find any info on this. Do we need to go there on the 29th?

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F