ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #15031
ESPRider
Say what again...

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
I got one of these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-68-chain-lock and it hasn't failed me in the 4 months I have had it.

I used the setup when I parked my Explorer at the EWR motorcycle parking lot (thanks everyone for your help in directing to this great, barely advertised, resource). Bike was there when I got back from a four day trip
That beast looks amazing. Kind of huge though... where do you store it? Or do you just wear it?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #15032
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,889
If anyone knows of any apartments in Queens or W. Nassau please let me know. Want an area where I can reasonably park my van (it i big and hard to find spots for) and cheap (within reason) short term would be OK.
TIA Rich
Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #15033
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
If anyone knows of any apartments in Queens or W. Nassau please let me know. Want an area where I can reasonably park my van (it i big and hard to find spots for) and cheap (within reason) short term would be OK.
TIA Rich
I know a perfect neighborhood where you can park your van with no alternate side parking in Queens. There's always apartments for rent around there.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #15034
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPRider View Post
That beast looks amazing. Kind of huge though... where do you store it? Or do you just wear it?
I store the disclock under the seat and use that on its own most of the time. Usually I use both when parking somewhere iffy and I either put the chain in my topbox or, if not using that, I just use a bungee net to hold it in place on the pillion seat.

It is a heavy beast for sure but I guess that is part of its effectiveness. I make sure that the chain NEVER sits on the ground when in use making it harder to break with an impact tool.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #15035
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 803
Drunk driver who hit two guys on a bike in Queens gets formally charged.

Linky-poo.

But justice is blind; the rider in the medically-induced come is likely to be charged with felony possession of controlled substance.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #15036
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,721
if anyone is shopping for an 1150 GS adv, i just put mine up:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818956
Old 08-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #15037
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,889
Custom Ear Plugs

I have been wearing ear plugs for 20 years and never bothered to get a custom fit pair. I just decided to try them. Anyone have any experience with getting some made locally? I was thinking of calling an audiologist that takes my insurance, but I am open to suggestions.
I don't want to do the mold your own kits FYI
Old 08-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #15038
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,450
I just caught the aftermath of a bad crash on the way home from work at the intersection of Saratoga Ave. & Eastern Pkwy. Appeared from the scene that a Mercedes SUV turned left onto Saratoga into the path of a motorcyclist on Eastern Pkwy. Speed of oncoming motorcyclist unknown but the Benz had a huge imprint floor to roof on the rear passenger side door area. Bike was down and unrecognizeable except that it appeared to be some kind of sport bike. Judging by how the road was closed off and the presence of NYPD white shirts at the scene, I'm guessing that the prognosis is not good for the rider. Please be safe out there.
The Jerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #15039
dahnovka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Shared Garage in Brooklyn Heights

leaving in Brooklyn Heights more than a year now, getting tired of having garage in Bensonhurst, I see GS on every block here, where you guys hiding it in winter? Is anyone here know about any shared garage in area?
dahnovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #15040
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
I have been wearing ear plugs for 20 years and never bothered to get a custom fit pair. I just decided to try them. Anyone have any experience with getting some made locally? I was thinking of calling an audiologist that takes my insurance, but I am open to suggestions.
I have a hearing disability so I wear hearing aids. My ear molds are obviously custom-made by audiologist in NYC (Wall Street area). There are a few different kinds of materials for your liking (also depending on your skin allergy/reaction) such as silicone, polyethylene, soft vinyl, etc. and you'll have a choice of color too and design. and you'll have to tell them how much of decibel protection you want.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #15041
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 634
forgot to post this earlier today... this afternoon, on the way to work... I was riding down on West Side Highway southbound and I saw a NY motorcycle/scooter plate laying on right lane about a half-mile before Exit 12 (125th st). Too bad I couldn't stop and pick it up or I'd get plowed down by a lawnmower.... the plate's probably already gone by now.

I think it fell off from a scooter. ya'all - don't be silly and get rid of that velcro strips for your plate. it would be rendered useless in a short time from hot weather and everyday wears n' tears.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #15042
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahnovka View Post
leaving in Brooklyn Heights more than a year now, getting tired of having garage in Bensonhurst, I see GS on every block here, where you guys hiding it in winter? Is anyone here know about any shared garage in area?
I live nearby (Pacific btwn Smith and Court) and the closest garage I could find was Vaxmoto in Gowanus (3rd ave @ 12th st). There's also a garage on 9th st near 3rd ave, but it's pretty small (not enough room for all my crap).
The commute to the garage isn't too bad- the 4th ave train stop (F,G,R) is pretty close and (for me) only 2 stops. It's a cool place with a good vibe and Justin (the owner) is a standup guy. (I have no affiliation, other than I'm a paying customer.)
http://vaxmoto.com/

Oh, there's what looks to be an abandoned red Multistrada on Smith St (btwn Pacific and Dean) which keeps racking up tickets, if that sounds like someone familiar to anyone here.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #15043
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
I got a set of these http://www.earinc.com/p1-filtered-afiltered.php

Went to an audiologist in NJ (on the above companies list of providers) and had a full hearing test and fitted for these. They arrived about 3 weeks later and though it took me a while to get used to puttting them in (I kept sticking the wrong end in my ear first - user error) now they go in and out in a couple of seconds.

I got the acoustical version as I wanted to be able to hear speech through my Sena speakers in my helmet. I just got back from using them at Indy durring the races and they did a great job there.

They do a fabulous job in my helmet reducing wind noise to something I barely notice. They seem like they will last a long time.

EAR inc should have a list of audiologists you can use for their product in your area and there may even be a search function on their site.

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #15044
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 628
Wink Great morning!

Met a very nice gentleman on a yellow passport scooter today.
A very pleasant morning
Hollah nick2ny!

Ravyn screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 08:46 AM
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #15045
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahnovka View Post
I'm looking into a private garage in Queens right off the subway somewhere, the bike has been outside for years now. It look's like the going rate for a 1 car garage (private) with a garage opener is about $200. I'm sure I can get them down cheaper, I know some people in the area so ill have them ask around. Let me know if you're interested. I have an SV1000S and a Ninja 250 to park. I figured it would be better to look for them now than later.