ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #15316
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Shot in the dark here, but does anyone happen to have a shift lever from a DR650 lying around that I can buy?

NYPD relocated my bike about 3 blocks when Mr Fundraiser was in town (I guess motorcycles within half a mile of the heli-pad scare him), and whoever did it dropped my bike.

I'm filing a claim, but in the meantime, I'm shifting without a toe-point, just the arm.

Thanks in advance
I don't have one, but when mine dropped and broke, I removed the arm, drilled it, and put a machine screw through it to make the toe piece. Nuts on each side of the arm keep it in place. Wrap it with tape to protect your boots. Will work until your new one arrives.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #15317
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbob View Post
This morning between 7am & 11am a co-workers new 2012 honda cbr 1000 got plucked from the corner of 26th & 9th, manhattan. Both wheels had disc locks on them. The building surveillance camera was able to record the license plate of the van used in the theft, most likely stolen van or fake plates...
That sucks, I would never park that bike without being chained up with something or inside a parking garage. Sucks... darn thieves.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #15318
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
This morning between 7am & 11am a co-workers new 2012 honda cbr 1000 got plucked from the corner of 26th & 9th, manhattan. Both wheels had disc locks on them. The building surveillance camera was able to record the license plate of the van used in the theft, most likely stolen van or fake plates...
bad news.

in broad daylight and a rather busy intersection.

with disk locks.

lately, when i've been parking in manhattan, i now take the time to put a cover on my bike. it is a pita. i need to wait for the muffler to cool a bit. and lugging that cover around is also annoying. but...

...but, if thieves don't know what is under a cover are they less likely to pluck a bike off the street?

i'm asking.

i am not starting a flame war or casting any blame in any direction.

i'm just asking.

(and again, sorry to hear about the cbr1k)

ymmv.

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #15319
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
You gotta ride stuff people won't steal, like me and Tom here, who I randomly ran into yesterday afternoon in queens!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #15320
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

THIS IS WHY WE MUST HAVE LOCKABLE STREET PARKING!

Until then you're picking out a bike, you gotta think "Am I okay if this thing gets stolen? Will people want to steal this? Am I rich as ****?" If the answers are "NO" and "YES" and "NO" you gotta keep that thing locked and mostly garaged, and insured to death.

Good NYC bikes: 80's sportbike, 70's bikes, touring bikes like a ST, something like a BMW GS.

Bad bikes: KTM supermotos, honda XRs, Japanese superbikes, Harleys, and anything worth more than 10k.

Think about making a thief look like a japanese cowboy or a brother on skates and you'll find the right sort of bikes.

Otherwise, ride something ratty, old, and fast that still makes you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
bad news.

in broad daylight and a rather busy intersection.

with disk locks.

(and again, sorry to hear about the cbr1k)

rob
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #15321
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Regarding meters and tickets, anyone know what's up with the legislation to exempt bikes from meters all together?
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #15322
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Regarding meters and tickets, anyone know what's up with the legislation to exempt bikes from meters all together?
Have you spoken to or written to any NYC Council members?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #15323
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post

Yes: Contact your City Council representative about it RIGHT NOW!

Find your Council Member:

http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/members.shtml

If your council member is on the Transportation Committee it is VERY IMPORTANT that you call them TODAY!

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Depa...0C1A34&Search=

The proposed bill is called "Intro 0860-2012: Exempting certain vehicles from purchasing muni-meter time."

It has been referred to City Council, but will die unless it gets some love.

Link to bill status:

http://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Legi...rch=motorcycle

Look: I appreciate all the support from folks. But, better than an attaboy, you need to GET INVOLVED! Don't just ask me or Brad or Jillian "what's up with that good-for-motos bill?" We're just like you -- moto riders in NYC. Instead, pick up a phone and call someone!

Also, don't be limited to where you LIVE. Where you WORK is just as important -- if not more so. I'm lookin' at YOU New Jersey riders!

So, share this around, and get involved.

Jesse

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #15324
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Jesse, I just called Council Member Brewer. Her office said email was the only way. Here is what I sent (others feel free to copy/paraphrase):

Quote:
Council Member XXXX,

I am writing in support of pending legislation titled, "Intro 0860-2012: Exempting certain vehicles from purchasing muni-meter time." I am a constituent of yours residing at XXXX. I understand that you are on the transportation committee, and therefore can influence its support.

I commute daily by motorcycle within XXXX, am a cautious rider, and abide by all laws.

There is no way to securely affix a receipt to a motorcycle. Therefore it is nearly impossible to comply with Muni-Meter regulations as a motorcyclist. I used to tape Muni-Meter receipts to my windshield, but this resulted in other drivers taking them, and traffic officers not noticing them (and writing me tickets anyways).

While motorcycles are more fuel efficient, and cause less congestion, I do not believe that we should necessarily have free parking. HOWEVER, without changing the muni-machines to the numbered space style ( la San Francisco), or giving them the ability to accept license plate numbers, there is no other option.

Currently I park legally, put the receipt in my wallet, and assume I will get a ticket. This forces me to (successfully) contest numerous tickets a month. The cost to both me and the city is onerous.

Exempting motorcyclists from the muni-meter fees until a proper fix is found, is not only fair, but will decrease illegal behavior (license plate removal), and save the city money (fewer successfully contested tickets).

I hope you are able to be a proxy for my support of the bill.

Many thanks,

XXXX

rutard screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 01:54 PM
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #15325
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
Jesse, I just called Council Member Brewer. Her office said email was the only way. Here is what I sent:

Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #15326
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Yes: Contact your City Council representative about it RIGHT NOW!

So, share this around, and get involved.
Just called six council members and expressed my support for 0860-2012. Took five minutes total.

Here's how I learned what to do.

Is there some way we could post this in an activist forum or something to get a TON of people to call?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #15327
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Just called six council members and expressed my support for 0860-2012. Took five minutes total.

Here's how I learned what to do.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #15328
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
...Is there some way we could post this in an activist forum or something to get a TON of people to call?
Go nick!

I CC'd my Council Member's Director of Legislation on the email. He just responded. I strongly suggest doing the same.

My worry with phone calls is that vague messages about support can often vanish into the ether. A legitimate name, address and email is well...more legitimate.

We could alway try to get Occupy involved, but their solution might worsen the parking problem.
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #15329
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:

Sorry to hear about this. Such a nice bike (and a decent owner, I'm sure) ... just sucks. So much for that theft ring bust.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #15330
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Lane splitting

So here is a question for you guys? Think you could fight or get of a ticket for splitting lanes in an area that doesn't have the lanes painted? Or have any of you won on this basis? Because is it really splitting if there are no lanes?

Example down on Houston around mott st there is always traffic and no painted lanes, must be due to the construction down there. I was splitting lanes and saw a cop parked on the north corner of mott then looked down for the white line and there where non so I said fuck it and kept on splitting.
rider257 is offline   Reply With Quote