ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #15481
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
Get a set of valve stem caps that have a built in valve core removal tool. You should have one on your bike anyway. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail

/SLI0/22052/N0183.oap?ck=Search_N0183_-1_-1&pt=N0183&ppt=C0337

Always remember the immortal words of Al Pacino in "Scarface", "Fuck me? Fuck me? Fuck you fuck me!". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahh1rP0qL-s

Speedo66 screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 01:22 PM
Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #15482
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
I have to respectfully disagree with the advice to park in the middle of a 12' spot on a residential block. If it's an area where 6 bikes will pull in - go for it. But if there's a nice 4.5' spot for you between cars, why needlessly take up a car-size spot? Depending on where you live, cagers are very aware of parking availability on their block and will take your "wide stance" as an aggressive, and douchey move. No, it's not ok for someone to move your bike but if it's a residential block, make nice with other parkers and live & let live.
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #15483
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with the advice to park in the middle of a 12' spot on a residential block. If it's an area where 6 bikes will pull in - go for it. But if there's a nice 4.5' spot for you between cars, why needlessly take up a car-size spot? Depending on where you live, cagers are very aware of parking availability on their block and will take your "wide stance" as an aggressive, and douchey move. No, it's not ok for someone to move your bike but if it's a residential block, make nice with other parkers and live & let live.

If folks are respectful -- sure. I have been about to walk away from my bike after parking, and have gone back and moved my bike to make room for a car, when they ask.

But, I've had my bike moved and knocked over by fucktards who don't give a shit. I've watched "park-by-feelers" knock into a parked bike, and walk away like it's no big thing.

BTW... One other technique I use: Often, I'll take a picture of the cars (and their plates) which are next to me when I park. I've never had to use it, but better to have it and not need it....

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #15484
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Put a disc lock on it on the very end of the disc so when he pulls the clutch in less than 3-5 inches the bike will stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
So I guess I would be moving my bike all the time then.

Everytime I nab a 4.5' spot 2 or 3 more bikes or vespas pull next to me within the hour.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #15485
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Everytime I nab a 4.5' spot 2 or 3 more bikes or vespas pull next to me within the hour.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #15486
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,049
So some jackass was backing his big ass Ford van and tapped my DR last night. Well I try and park real close so I can lock my bike to my van sometimes. I got a little too close, but didn't knock it over
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #15487
NomadNunez
Driftwood

Oddometer: 4
Whats up NYC ADV riders, new on the forums. Feel bad about my first post requiring help but here goes. I have a 2003 XR650L with a leaky head gasket for sure as its where the oil is coming from and I discovered fragments of gasket there as well. Kind of strapped for cash and there is no way in can afford the 600 bucks the dealer wants to charge. Was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to help me out in exchange for some money, beer, liquor lol. I also have many resources available at my job like , A large sandblaster, welders, torch, bearing press(2 of them) and thousands of tools. I Would prefer someone whos done it before or really knows what they are doing. Any help would be appreciated. Glad I found this place and look foward to riding with you guys soon.
NomadNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #15488
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 636
I think it's actually quite nice that a few miles of southbound West Side Highway is unmarked. I think it's actually safer that way
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #15489
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadNunez View Post
Whats up NYC ADV riders, new on the forums. Feel bad about my first post requiring help but here goes. I have a 2003 XR650L with a leaky head gasket for sure as its where the oil is coming from and I discovered fragments of gasket there as well. Kind of strapped for cash and there is no way in can afford the 600 bucks the dealer wants to charge. Was wondering if any of you guys would be willing to help me out in exchange for some money, beer, liquor lol. I also have many resources available at my job like , A large sandblaster, welders, torch, bearing press(2 of them) and thousands of tools. I Would prefer someone whos done it before or really knows what they are doing. Any help would be appreciated. Glad I found this place and look foward to riding with you guys soon.

Its not that complicated. Only special tools you need are a torque wrench and a feeler gauge. Post up in the 650 thread we can walk you through it. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4834&page=3165
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #15490
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Its not that complicated. Only special tools you need are a torque wrench and a feeler gauge. Post up in the 650 thread we can walk you through it. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4834&page=3165
+1. not sure on the 650l but maybe you can do the job with engine in frame. get a service manual regardless. i can't help i'm going away but if you still haven't gotten it fixed by the new year pm me.

its not that complicated but always expect there will be something else that needs attention. nature of the beast.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #15491
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
I'd also offer to help, but I've got my hands full tearing into mine and then hitting the road for a month.

I'll say the same as Thomas though, if you still need a hand by the time I get back, I'd be more than willing to help.

Edit: I should also mention, if anyone is looking for winter storage, I have space available in the garage in Brooklyn. Let me know if your interest. Cheaper than anyone else AFAIK, and you're welcome to wrench through the winter.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #15492
NomadNunez
Driftwood

Oddometer: 4
Thanks dudes for the offers. I just downloaded a service manual online that is very clear with color pictures and step bye step instructions. I'm gonna try and get my hands dirty on her. If anything puzzles me I'll ask over at the XRL forum. If for some reason she ain't done bye then I'll be sure to hit you up. It gets pretty messy on long, highway rides and drips a good amount of oil when parked after a ride. Still runs like a champ though. I just rode her up from Georgia. Leak and all never hiccuped. Back tire was getting sprayed with oil though. Which was a little dodgy . She was parked for 6 months due to issues with an ex and fired right up with a boost. These bikes are amazing. Thanks again guys, feel free to pm me if you need to use any of the tools I mentioned earlier.
NomadNunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #15493
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,926
Just remember the carb mainfold has to come off the head to get the valve cover off. it looks like it wont make a difference but it does
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #15494
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
Fully enclosed gyro stabilized electric bike, $24K

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/te....html?hpw&_r=0

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #15495
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,711