ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #15511
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Who were

the four FF's I saw on my way home from D.C. yesterday on I-78? Dakar 650, 1200GS, couldn't make out the other two bikes... looked like you were packed for a nice weekend camping. I had a hoot riding a couple hundred miles of the TET through WV, VA, MD, and PA, until I ran out of time and had to blast home on innerstate.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #15512
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
the four FF's I saw on my way home from D.C. yesterday on I-78? Dakar 650, 1200GS, couldn't make out the other two bikes... looked like you were packed for a nice weekend camping. I had a hoot riding a couple hundred miles of the TET through WV, VA, MD, and PA, until I ran out of time and had to blast home on innerstate.
I'm about to take off on the TET down to the Gulf, have been looking for people who have ridden sections for feedback but haven't found much.

I've ridden the NJ & PA parts. How does MD, VA, & WV compare, terrain wise, to the PA.
Those southern PA sections through Michaux are pretty groomed.

Edit: I also just want to say... Although I haven't read your reports in entirety, your style of leaving the bikes on the road to return and continue has been incredibly inspiring. In fact it made me realize that I actually can see this country, and still make money at the same time.
So this TET journey south for me is the beginning of the same sort of thing. Getting the bike out of town for the winter, with no plan on ever bringing it back.
So a quick thanks are in order.. hopefully I've planned accordingly.

jconly screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 07:16 AM
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #15513
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Tet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconly View Post
I'm about to take off on the TET down to the Gulf, have been looking for people who have ridden sections for feedback but haven't found much.

I've ridden the NJ & PA parts. How does MD, VA, & WV compare, terrain wise, to the PA.
Those southern PA sections through Michaux are pretty groomed.
I picked it up near Purcellville. Took it to the I-81 / I-78 junction. Total of about 200miles of TET. It was a blast. From Purcellville, there's more pavement than dirt. But it's nice -- lots of single-lane country roads, not a lot of driveways or distractions. Once I hit PA, there was a lot more gravel and dirt, I agree, nothing technical more than some ruts and bumps. I was riding the Terra Mostro with street wheels and tires, fully inflated. Think motard set-up. Overnight bag and tools only. There wasn't anything so tricky that I was concerned riding solo.

Boy do tires make a difference -- gravel felt like riding on ball bearings, I just slowed down, and took it easy. Had to keep my eye on the trail so as not to hit anything that would bend the cast rims -- BTDT.

I wouldn't look at the TET (or the TAT for that matter) as an extreme technical riding challenge. 98% is easy riding, big bike friendly. The 2% that isn't though (and a lot gets tough if the weather is crap) REALLY isn't easy on a fully loaded big bike. What it is, though, is an endurance challenge riding day after day, unsupported. My view is that it's a fabulous way to see some backroads and still get where you're going more or less.

My goal was to ride the TET another 100 miles or so to the Delaware Water Gap, and then blast home on I-80, but my average speed on the TET was about 30mph, and there's a bridge out / road closed where it crosses under I-81. As I was scouting on the GPS a go-around, I realized what time it was (3:30pm), and what time the sun set (6:30pm), and how far I was from home (144miles), and realized that if I didn't want to be riding for 14hours and well into the night I better scoot home. I'll be back, though -- it was fun.

The street tires / wheels earned their keep on the innerstate, that's for sure.

You're gonna have a great trip... enjoy!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #15514
jconly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I picked it up near Purcellville. Took it to the I-81 / I-78 junction. Total of about 200miles of TET. It was a blast. From Purcellville, there's more pavement than dirt. But it's nice -- lots of single-lane country roads, not a lot of driveways or distractions. Once I hit PA, there was a lot more gravel and dirt, I agree, nothing technical more than some ruts and bumps. I was riding the Terra Mostro with street wheels and tires, fully inflated. Think motard set-up. Overnight bag and tools only. There wasn't anything so tricky that I was concerned riding solo.

I wouldn't look at the TET (or the TAT for that matter) as an extreme technical riding challenge. 98% is easy riding, big bike friendly. The 2% that isn't though (and a lot gets tough if the weather is crap) REALLY isn't easy on a fully loaded big bike. What it is, though, is an endurance challenge riding day after day, unsupported. My view is that it's a fabulous way to see some backroads and still get where you're going more or less.

My goal was to ride the TET another 100 miles or so to the Delaware Water Gap

You're gonna have a great trip... enjoy!
Thanks for the feedback!

It's funny you hopped on the interstate at the 78/81 jct. Every time I've ridden the PA parts (and I've ridden a lot of Rob23's PA routes, which basically play AROUND the TET) I always have that same intention of going to the Gap from there, but ALWAYS run out of time playing in south central PA and end up doing the same as you, slabbing home. I do have the suspicion though that the maze of trails down there is far more exciting than the northern portion. I base this off of Rob's routes which have taken me from the Delaware river (New Hope area) over to Michaux. All street.

Your perspective on the TET, and TAT for that matter, intrigues me....
Assuming you meant 98% easy, 2% NOT easy, my interest is peaked. Seems to me that my weapon of choice (a fully loaded 990 ADV) may need some considering. Not so much the capability of the bike itself (bring on the gnarly ) as the amount of crap I'm planning on hauling. I may need to re-visit my gear and see what I can thin out. Although, unlike you, I plan to camp unless a motel becomes an utter necessity. I'm also planning 1-->2 month trips vs two weeks, spending some time in major cities to familiarize myself with what's out there. You also had me re-considering my tire choice for a moment there, so much talk of pavement and easy(er) riding. I was going to go with a pretty nobby setup (something more manageable to start on front, for my slab to my start on the MD border), although I suppose I'd better be prepared for that 2%. Especially since it's suppose to rain this weekend!! I was hoping to squeeze a few more weeks out of the weather. But hey, at least I'm headed south.
jconly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #15515
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Wow it was a great riding day yesterday, took a ride up to the new NYS Safety Track in Davenport, NY, rode the unfinished track for an hour with my buddy (owner let us) and then rode back. The foliage was beautiful this time of the year and that track is amazing!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #15516
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Running 13 miles sounds dangerous. Look what happened to Jeter, and he only ran a few feet.

Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #15517
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Wow it was a great riding day yesterday, took a ride up to the new NYS Safety Track in Davenport, NY, rode the unfinished track for an hour with my buddy (owner let us) and then rode back. The foliage was beautiful this time of the year and that track is amazing!

WTH?!? No advance notice, invitation, or ADV BBQ / Pseudo-track-day?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #15518
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
I've missed playing in the dirt, so last week, I bought a 2008 450 EXC-R. It's in Bobby's garage in NJ (I haven't even seen it in person yet) but ultimately, my plan is to keep it at my place in FL.

I don't know how I was unaware of the TET until just a few days ago but I'm intrigued by the idea of riding my new toy from NJ to Tampa, on the TET, staying off road as much as possible.

If anyone has made the ride from the NE all the way to FL, I'd appreciate any routing feedback (or feedback, in general).

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #15519
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
WTH?!? No advance notice, invitation, or ADV BBQ / Pseudo-track-day?
Sorry guys, this was a 7am why are you calling me so early on Sunday wake up call turned into a full blown riding day out of nowhere turned track day with priviliges to walk the track, not ride it.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #15520
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
Remove the cores from their schrader valves? The proper tool runs about $30 (CHECK HERE) $6 (CHECK HERE). If you wanna be cheap, you could try very fine needle nose pliers.

No permanent damage, but pure PITA.
Yeah, that's it. Pull the valves out of someone's wheels 'cause they moved your bike. That's the ticket.

Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with the advice to park in the middle of a 12' spot on a residential block. If it's an area where 6 bikes will pull in - go for it. But if there's a nice 4.5' spot for you between cars, why needlessly take up a car-size spot? Depending on where you live, cagers are very aware of parking availability on their block and will take your "wide stance" as an aggressive, and douchey move. No, it's not ok for someone to move your bike but if it's a residential block, make nice with other parkers and live & let live.

That's my take on it. Be a good neighbor. Maybe it will catch on.
If I can't find a nice spot that just fits my bike, with enough room for the cars on the left or right to get out of their space, I park on the sidewalk and put my cover on.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #15521
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Anyone want either of these two helmets? If not, they're going in the trash!

2002 arai quantum/f XL

1982?? Shoei something or other

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #15522
z0ne
~santoku samuri~

Oddometer: 55
I want that Shoei for a desk thingamajig. Or, I'll carry it to bars with me and tell chicks I just wrecked my NOS'd 'busa & I'll get some sicknasty sympathy poon.

Hi, I'll see myself out.

'93 CB750
z0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #15523
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Yeah, that's it. Pull the valves out of someone's wheels 'cause they moved your bike. That's the ticket.
Thanks for posting your advice 5 days later. If he had followed my amazing advice, and it was Joe Pesci's car, you'd have had his death on your hands.

Why are people always trying to diffuse a situation. Real NY'ers elevate and escalate.
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #15524
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
Why are people always trying to diffuse a situation. Real NY'ers elevate and escalate.

I know a guy... not naming names... but when his bike was moved by a crew in a moving truck, he happened to find the keys to that truck in the unsupervised cab, and took them. Hard to know what finally happened, but I'm sure someone eventually figured out how to hotwire an 18-wheel rig.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #15525
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
anyone want either of these two helmets? If not, they're going in the trash!

2002 arai quantum/f xl

1982?? Shoei something or other

wtf?
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote