ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #15766
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 313
Thank you

This is the first time that I had a few minutes to check in. Thank you to all that are helping out. I am in Breezy Point and it is apocalyptic. The house is trashed, lost my wife's car my daughters car my truck and my motorcycle. I am fortunate to have my camper to live in and am doing better than most. A million thanks for helping out.
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #15767
Lasermaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Relief Effort

I am in no way affiliated with this organization, but I've read (and witnessed) that some of the local community organizations have been very effective at providing volunteers and supplies to affected areas. To that end, the "Occupy" movement has wisely set up "wedding registries" on Amazon.com that highlight the most desperately needed supplies. With a few clicks of the mouse (and a credit card, of course) you can send needed items without even leaving your home. It couldn't be any easier to help.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you may notice that many of the items on the list are not Prime eligible. I simply checked the list and searched the site to find Prime eligible equivalents that could be delivered in two days. I'm sure time is of the essence, and it probably won't help if these items arrive next week.

Even if you're not comfortable contributing through the "Occupy" organization, the lists are a good guideline of badly needed supplies. You could use them for reference when collecting items for your next relief run.

There are links for the Brooklyn and NJ based groups below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/re...qid=1352177622

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/re...qid=1352177653
Lasermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #15768
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbanflood View Post
This is the first time that I had a few minutes to check in. Thank you to all that are helping out. I am in Breezy Point and it is apocalyptic. The house is trashed, lost my wife's car my daughters car my truck and my motorcycle. I am fortunate to have my camper to live in and am doing better than most. A million thanks for helping out.

Wow man, so sorry to read of your plight. You've got an amazing attitude given what you're going through.

Stay warm and safe through the coming storm. I'm off to donate to Occupy Sandy.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #15769
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbanflood View Post

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #15770
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 878
Great idea! I just sent some flashlights/cell phone chargers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasermaster View Post
I am in no way affiliated with this organization, but I've read (and witnessed) that some of the local community organizations have been very effective at providing volunteers and supplies to affected areas. To that end, the "Occupy" movement has wisely set up "wedding registries" on Amazon.com that highlight the most desperately needed supplies. With a few clicks of the mouse (and a credit card, of course) you can send needed items without even leaving your home. It couldn't be any easier to help.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you may notice that many of the items on the list are not Prime eligible. I simply checked the list and searched the site to find Prime eligible equivalents that could be delivered in two days. I'm sure time is of the essence, and it probably won't help if these items arrive next week.

Even if you're not comfortable contributing through the "Occupy" organization, the lists are a good guideline of badly needed supplies. You could use them for reference when collecting items for your next relief run.

There are links for the Brooklyn and NJ based groups below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/re...qid=1352177622

http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/re...qid=1352177653

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #15771
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Got back from the Rockaways a few hours ago, celebrating my wife's birthday right now. I'll post my experience with relief effort tomorrow morning.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #15772
tpirocz
i do what i want

Oddometer: 228
ive got 2 places in nyc that i need to go to on saturday 11/17. one is on broadway between broome and canal and the other is on canal and church street....

i will be driving in and parking in a garage most likely...there is one ive parked before in that area, its on mercer i think.

what kind of storm issues will i run into in this area?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #15773
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,753
light snow outside. called mobil station (not that i want to go out right now) on houston and ave c. has fuel not lines.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #15774
z0ne
~santoku samuri~

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
light snow outside. called mobil station (not that i want to go out right now) on houston and ave c. has fuel not lines.
Thanks! I got back from NJ a few hours ago & my thighs are freezing. I should invest in better pants. Do you know which brand gas station is on Houston & Bowery (might be one avenue west, but not as far as Broadway) or if they're open/have fuel?

'93 CB750
z0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #15775
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Looks like the ride home today will be fun... it will certainly be better than the half hour it took me to get up the Lincoln tunnel helix yesterday.
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #15776
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0ne View Post
Thanks! I got back from NJ a few hours ago & my thighs are freezing. I should invest in better pants. Do you know which brand gas station is on Houston & Bowery (might be one avenue west, but not as far as Broadway) or if they're open/have fuel?
yep it's the brand i boycott still because of the environmental mess they created in the gulf. wish everybody would.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #15777
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
yep it's the brand i boycott still because of the environmental mess they created in the gulf. wish everybody would.

They all do that.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #15778
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

^oh yeah, that.

does anyone have a phone number for ebbanflood?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #15779
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
The Rockaways - Part 1

Last weekend I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday (her birthday is Nov 6) and she told me she didn't want a gift, instead she wanted to take a ride to the Rockaways and drop off supplies and volunteer. GREAT cause I didn't know what to get her and I didn't want to spend any $$$

So we took off to Astoria where we picked up some donations Astoria Recovers (https://astoria.recovers.org/) had collected for the folks in the Rockaways. The donations were dropped off at a gym (Matrix Gym) and we packed them into our truck and headed to the Rockaways.

Traffic was pretty bad on the Van Wyck and on Cross Bay Blvd. If you plan on heading down you might want to take Flatbush Ave to the Marine Parkway Bridge.

Every where you looked there was sand and debris, no streets or houses were spared.

We headed to the rendezous point at Beach 113rd street. The National Guard was there giving out water and blankets.

When we pulled into the donation are all we saw was a bunch of clothes on the ground and nobody organizing the distribution. We decided not to drop off our supplies in the parking lot, instead we started to clean the area.

After we finished cleaning a bit we opened the tailgate on the truck and layed out the contents of the bags. People we very happy to come over and pick out coats that weren't on the ground, a few even mentioned they felt so ashamed going thru the clothes on the ground. They might have lost their homes and all their stuff but there is no reason they should lose their dignity.

Our food and other supplies was distributed to people standing in line.

As we were about to leave a young lady from the mayor's office asked us if we could bring back bags of clothes to the Salvation Army on West 46th Street in the city. We obviously said yes and proceeded to load the bags into the Rangie. Right as we are pulling out of the parking lot another young lady asked us if we could give her a ride into Brooklyn or Manhattan. She was a journalist for a Canadian newspaper who worked out of their office at Times Square. So we gave her ride into the city and then dropped off the clothes at the Salvation Army.

If you plan on donating stuff just remember that they DO NOT need more clothes other than hats, socks, gloves and warm jackets. T-shirts and shorts and dress shoes aren't needed.

Items needed:
  1. Flashlights
  2. Gas
  3. Candles
  4. Batteries
  5. Diapers
  6. Blankets
  7. Toiletries
  8. Latex gloves
  9. Cleaning products
  10. Large garbage bags
  11. Food - tuna, pop tarts, etc - stuff you don't need a stove to cook on or a can opener
Remember, they do not have electricity and probably won't have it for another month (hopefully less). They don't have were to wash their clothes.

It would be nice if we could organize a motorcycle convoy and pick up supplies from Astoria and disitrbute them ourselves instead of just dropping them off. We spoke with a few people in the area and they were happy to speak to folks other than Red Cross personnel or other organizations.

Maybe we could even do a tailgate thing and cook some burgers or hot dogs..... there are soo many things we can do to help these folks.

BTW, Roy has been doing an excellent job with his group in Battery Park City getting supplies and help to the folks on Staten Island. Thanks Roy!!!

I'll shut up now and get back to watching the snowfall.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #15780
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
TengaiJohn, your efforts are admirable . Also, it sounds like you have, in the words of the great poet Ja Rule, quite a down ass bitch.

My problems pale in comparison to those in the Rockaways, Strong Island, and Staten Island. But if any of you have first hand experience in the insurance industry, I am looking for advice. Progressive is giving me an absurdly high repair estimate using new-OEM parts. I can get the parts for much cheaper, and do the work myself. Goal is to prevent the bike from being "totalled."

Let me know. Thanks.
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote