ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #15781
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Last weekend I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday (her birthday is Nov 6) and she told me she didn't want a gift, instead she wanted to take a ride to the Rockaways and drop off supplies and volunteer. GREAT cause I didn't know what to get her and I didn't want to spend any $$$

Happy Birthday to TengaiWife!

Good work in the Rockaways, sir!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #15782
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
My problems pale in comparison to those in the Rockaways, Strong Island, and Staten Island. But if any of you have first hand experience in the insurance industry, I am looking for advice. Progressive is giving me an absurdly high repair estimate using new-OEM parts. I can get the parts for much cheaper, and do the work myself. Goal is to prevent the bike from being "totalled."

Well, keep in mind this: IF the bike is totaled, you can (usually) buy it back for very little money. (Like, a $200-$400!) That means you'll get paid out for the used value () minus your deductible. Then, you can buy your bike back and fix it any way you please.

You will have to look into the procedure for getting a salvage title, and it will hurt if you ever try to sell it.

If you DON'T want it totaled, you can try claiming that some bits were damaged in earlier "incidents" which you didn't report because you figured they would be under your deductible. Or, you can flat out tell the adjuster that is your desire, and can he help guide you?

I'm not an insurance expert, but I've had my share of claims on the motorcycle, including one totaled bike, and a handful of minor incidents on my last bike.

Anyone else have ideas?

Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #15783
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Well if the option is to pay less and do it yourself or pay more through insurance I think you have your answer. But why not just have it be totalled? Will your rates go up if you do? Are you allowed to explicitly ask that to the agent? My deductible is $100 through progressive, my yearly rates went up $40 by bringing it down to that from $500.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #15784
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 901
My day started off so nice. Got into work early (I run the coffee bar at the Whole Foods on E57th St.), packed out a bunch of stuff, placed some orders. One of my all-stars was working with me, so I figured I could get away and do some more packing out and office-y stuff. Nope. At 9:30 she left due to stomach issues. And because of tight labor budget and scheduling, I was alone until 4pm. A nice 10-hour day.

Meanwhile, I see the snow outside the window, but everyone assures me it's not sticking. Since the store was dead (everyone hiding at home) I decided to do some shopping. Got to the bike, loaded it up, suited up, then headed for the QBB.

OK, visibility was nil and people were still driving like assholes. Got over the bridge fine. Northern Blvd moving slow, but that's fine since snow was sticking and I still couldn't see. And some guy in an 18-wheeler next to me wondered why I didn't just weave in and out of traffic. I tried to explain traction of a two-wheeler vs. 18-wheeler, but I don't think he got it.

Hung a left onto 45th St, er, almost. Someone was turning right onto it but aborted midway through. No prob. Traffic moving slow up 45th. Rear wheel of the GS swung out left a few times, but I kept it up. Headed up a slight hill to a stop sign where intersecting traffic on left does not stop. I was gonna just ride through but saw headlights. Eased on front brake -woopsie-daisy! down I went onto the starboard side. Was able to hurk it up onto the side stand, but it was sorta leaning against an SUV. Tried to stand it up to see if I could straddle it to ride it. Boots had no traction and the camber worked against me cuz it went down onto the port side. A good samaritan helped me get it back up.

After breathing for a bit, I took out two bags of groceries and humped it the two blocks home.

Yes, I dumped it two blocks from home.

I put on my new Red Wing boots, with traction!, and walked back to the bike. A car had left the parking spot just in front of the bike so I started to maneuver it into that spot, instead of being half in the road. I got it against the curb and noticed it was fairly upright. I swung a leg over and could stand it up. So, I fired it up, put on the hazards and duck-walked it the two blocks home.

Damage? The left Jesse bag is pushed in even farther so it barely opens & closes. I'll find out more tomorrow. Me? A sore back.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #15785
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

That sucks!

I had an off in the snow last year in February. Cracked a rib. Faaack.

No gas probably saved me from my own stupidity tonight!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #15786
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
I had an off in the snow last year in February. Cracked a rib. Faaack.

No gas probably saved me from my own stupidity tonight!
Remember when I dumped it on black ice just playing fuckin' tag?

My wife saved my ass today. I was gonna ride to work in See-cock-us based on last night's expectation of "no accumulation". She insisted I take the cage. Smart woman, this one. I would have had to sleep in the office.

Meanwhile it's quite a mess out there, with snow-laden trees down everywhere. The drive home featured all the usual stuff. That is, people taking up two lanes, driving 5 MPH while everyone passes them by 15-20 either because they are spazzes or because their $300 racing tires won't bite on the snow, ridiculous gridlock, a bus on the 59th Street Bridge upper level on-ramp spinning its wheels and going nowhere. And of course occasional lane closures to make room for five block long lines of cars waiting - hoping - to get some gas.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #15787
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
either because they are spazzes or because their $300 racing tires won't bite on the snow,
Yup, took off the ultra high performance summer only tires this morning and put on the set of wheels with snows.

Didn't want to be "that" guy holding up traffic. We've got about 3-4" up here now. Just cold temp alone makes for poor traction with summer only tires.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #15788
uxc
adventure nerd

Oddometer: 1,340
Holland Tunnel is Open

The Holland tunnel is open!

And no lines for gas, either!
uxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #15789
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Next order of business - a pinlock faceshield and better gloves. My boss, knowing that I rode in, sent me home early yesterday. Didn't have any problems with traction, except when putting my foot down at a stop, but the helmet fogging was completely uncontrollable. Had to stop to take off my goggles, and spent the whole ride home intermittently closing the faceshield and opening it to wipe it from the inside, so freaking miserable
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #15790
madrivermaz
Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Next order of business - a pinlock faceshield and better gloves. My boss, knowing that I rode in, sent me home early yesterday. Didn't have any problems with traction, except when putting my foot down at a stop, but the helmet fogging was completely uncontrollable. Had to stop to take off my goggles, and spent the whole ride home intermittently closing the faceshield and opening it to wipe it from the inside, so freaking miserable
Here's neat temporary fix for helmet fogging that you can try next time.

I find that if I put a little bit of some dish washing liquid on a cloth or paper towel and rub it on the inside of the face shield or goggles, then let it dry for a few minutes, then polish it almost clear with another dry cloth or paper towel, I am able to see fairly well. Water may bead up in there, but it won't be impossible to see. I do it to my glasses also.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #15791
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
TengaiJohn, your efforts are admirable . Also, it sounds like you have, in the words of the great poet Ja Rule, quite a down ass bitch.

My problems pale in comparison to those in the Rockaways, Strong Island, and Staten Island. But if any of you have first hand experience in the insurance industry, I am looking for advice. Progressive is giving me an absurdly high repair estimate using new-OEM parts. I can get the parts for much cheaper, and do the work myself. Goal is to prevent the bike from being "totalled."

Let me know. Thanks.
Thanks and sorry about the bike. Although I work for an Insurance company (bankrupt) I don't know anything about insurance and can't help you. Sorry!!!
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #15792
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Happy Birthday to TengaiWife!

Good work in the Rockaways, sir!
Thanks. That top box sure has come in handy!!!
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #15793
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Thanks. That top box sure has come in handy!!!
I saw that!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #15794
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Bloomberg declares odd-even gas rationing.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/pdf/eo/eo_170.pdf

It says for "passenger automobiles" starting Friday, but doesn't list motorcycles as an exemption.

Even number ended plates buy on even numbered days.
Odd & letter ended plates buy on odd days.

Starts Friday 6am.
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #15795
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Well in response I can say there are no issues in Yonkers, all gas stations that are open have lines no longer than 2 or 3 cars. Some are imposing a $40 limit. Come on up!