ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #15811
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Cancel

The Jerk screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 02:47 PM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #15812
macutan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Metalic base motorcycle crate

Hey guys, does anyone know where (near New York city) I could get ahold of a few motorcycle shipping crates (metallic base type), I don't need the walls or top, used ones works.

macutan screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 02:03 PM
macutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #15813
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Guys: help needed

One of the volunteers down here in Rockaway has suffered a flat on the rear of his Bonneville (tube tire).

This is a call out to see if there's anyone in the area with tools, a tube patch kit and a compressor (no electricity down here).

Location is Rockaway Beach Blvd @ Beach 113th St.

Call me 347-404-4899
Too bad I just saw this, just got back from the Rockaways. We were at 113 earlier today. I had all the tools with me.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #15814
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
maybe this is there way to get rid of bikes which are behind in monthly payments. wouldn't want to give much notice in that case
Sorry for the late notice folks - the whole affair was all a little haphazard. Next time I will try to get something up here with more lead time.

Donations and a '54 BSA auctioned off through the NYCvinmoto list sent about $1300 to the Rockaways for relief. 100% went straight to the effort - no middleman, and I think they were aiming for some generators to power a couple relief stations. Not as much as we hoped - but far better than nothing...

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #15815
ESPRider
Say what again...

Oddometer: 99
Battery Tunnel?

Anyone take the Battery Tunnel?

I heard this morning that the tunnel was open to bus traffic but not cars, so I took the BQE to the Brooklyn Bridge. Went south to loop around Battery Park - uhm, nope, they closed that.. rerouted traffic north. But I digress. As I was passing the tunnel I saw cars following buses into the tunnel.

Are they allowing bikes now through the Battery tunnel? both directions?

I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone knows before I make my route home.

ESP
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #15816
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by macutan View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know where (near New York city) I could get ahold of a few motorcycle shipping crates (metallic base type), I don't need the walls or top, used ones works.
Most bike shops should have those from new arrivals. I've seen them up at Rockwell Cycle in Ft Montgomery.

I'd just start calling around and asking if you haven't found one yet.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #15817
GridCrosser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
New York Honda usually has some piled up on 36th Av.

Quote:
GridCrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #15818
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPRider View Post
Anyone take the Battery Tunnel?

I heard this morning that the tunnel was open to bus traffic but not cars, so I took the BQE to the Brooklyn Bridge. Went south to loop around Battery Park - uhm, nope, they closed that.. rerouted traffic north. But I digress. As I was passing the tunnel I saw cars following buses into the tunnel.

Are they allowing bikes now through the Battery tunnel? both directions?

I'd appreciate a heads up if anyone knows before I make my route home.

ESP
i don't know the answer but the battery park underpass which is different from the hugh l carey tunnel (brooklyn battery tunnel) has not been reopened yet. the underpass is what you go under off the (absolute brain lock, was gonna call it the jfk) fdr after getting off the brooklyn bridge.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #15819
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,220
Isle of Man(hattan)!

Check in!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840929

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #15820
ESPRider
Say what again...

Oddometer: 99
I know I'm a take it slow and easy rider, but I'm impatiently waiting until they open these tunnels/underpasses.

It's taking too long to get in and out of the city Staten Island bound. Though I got a huge thumbs up from a LEO at the tunnel today, as I was directed away from the entrance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
i don't know the answer but the battery park underpass which is different from the hugh l carey tunnel (brooklyn battery tunnel) has not been reopened yet. the underpass is what you go under off the (absolute brain lock, was gonna call it the jfk) fdr after getting off the brooklyn bridge.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #15821
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Last weekend I asked my wife what she wanted for her birthday (her birthday is Nov 6) and she told me she didn't want a gift, instead she wanted to take a ride to the Rockaways and drop off supplies and volunteer. GREAT cause I didn't know what to get her and I didn't want to spend any $$$

So we took off to Astoria where we picked up some donations Astoria Recovers (https://astoria.recovers.org/) had collected for the folks in the Rockaways. The donations were dropped off at a gym (Matrix Gym) and we packed them into our truck and headed to the Rockaways.

Traffic was pretty bad on the Van Wyck and on Cross Bay Blvd. If you plan on heading down you might want to take Flatbush Ave to the Marine Parkway Bridge.

Every where you looked there was sand and debris, no streets or houses were spared.

We headed to the rendezous point at Beach 113rd street. The National Guard was there giving out water and blankets.

When we pulled into the donation are all we saw was a bunch of clothes on the ground and nobody organizing the distribution. We decided not to drop off our supplies in the parking lot, instead we started to clean the area.

After we finished cleaning a bit we opened the tailgate on the truck and layed out the contents of the bags. People we very happy to come over and pick out coats that weren't on the ground, a few even mentioned they felt so ashamed going thru the clothes on the ground. They might have lost their homes and all their stuff but there is no reason they should lose their dignity.

Our food and other supplies was distributed to people standing in line.

As we were about to leave a young lady from the mayor's office asked us if we could bring back bags of clothes to the Salvation Army on West 46th Street in the city. We obviously said yes and proceeded to load the bags into the Rangie. Right as we are pulling out of the parking lot another young lady asked us if we could give her a ride into Brooklyn or Manhattan. She was a journalist for a Canadian newspaper who worked out of their office at Times Square. So we gave her ride into the city and then dropped off the clothes at the Salvation Army.

If you plan on donating stuff just remember that they DO NOT need more clothes other than hats, socks, gloves and warm jackets. T-shirts and shorts and dress shoes aren't needed.

Items needed:
  1. Flashlights
  2. Gas
  3. Candles
  4. Batteries
  5. Diapers
  6. Blankets
  7. Toiletries
  8. Latex gloves
  9. Cleaning products
  10. Large garbage bags
  11. Food - tuna, pop tarts, etc - stuff you don't need a stove to cook on or a can opener
Remember, they do not have electricity and probably won't have it for another month (hopefully less). They don't have were to wash their clothes.

It would be nice if we could organize a motorcycle convoy and pick up supplies from Astoria and disitrbute them ourselves instead of just dropping them off. We spoke with a few people in the area and they were happy to speak to folks other than Red Cross personnel or other organizations.

Maybe we could even do a tailgate thing and cook some burgers or hot dogs..... there are soo many things we can do to help these folks.

BTW, Roy has been doing an excellent job with his group in Battery Park City getting supplies and help to the folks on Staten Island. Thanks Roy!!!

I'll shut up now and get back to watching the snowfall.
I like your tailgate idea, let me know when you would like to do this. I'll be leaving next week for an extended period of time so I have roughly the next 7 days.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #15822
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrivermaz View Post
Here's neat temporary fix for helmet fogging that you can try next time.

I find that if I put a little bit of some dish washing liquid on a cloth or paper towel and rub it on the inside of the face shield or goggles, then let it dry for a few minutes, then polish it almost clear with another dry cloth or paper towel, I am able to see fairly well. Water may bead up in there, but it won't be impossible to see. I do it to my glasses also.
Another great temporary fix is using toothpaste, let it sit on the inner shield for an hour before taking it off, Your shield will remain fog free for a few weeks, maybe a month.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #15823
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Any motorcycle shop will give em to you, they throw them away instead of sending them back in.

Try utica honda or any large dealer that gets new bikes on a regular basis.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #15824
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

What a shitty experience with the impound lot I'm having.

I went to retrieve a bike and the cunt working there had such a bad attitude. Now, I was planning on pushing the bike down the block to a friend shop, literally just a 1\4 mile away.

She refused, I said no problem, I can put it in a van or pick up from the shop or come right back with a motorcycle trailer. Again, Absolutely not. It can only be released to an authorized tow vehicle with a medallion.

This is news to me, I called a few motorcycle shops in the area who also do towing and asked if they ever picked up bikes from this impound, they all said of course, they do it all the time. I then asked if their tow vehicles had a medallion on them. Huh, no, we put it in a pick up \ van \ trailer.

So I asked again and mentioned this to them. The cunt said that's not true and to stop wasting her time. Even though I know for a fact that Motorgrrl has picked up numerous bikes from them and so have I a few years ago using my trailer in a bag albeit for other peoples bikes.

Now, I understand she is probably dealing with angry and irate people all day who are probably yelling and cursing at her. But I was pretty cordial, I simply asked why and asked for something written that states that I need an authorized vehicle.

Spent an hour trying to figure something out, no luck, so this morning I called the NYC marshall's office, and told them the situation and they called the tow yard and told them to release the vehicle to me.

So if you guys ever get towed, make sure that the paperwork you get to release the vehicle also indicates for them to release it to you.

Now, anyone around Williamsburg have a few minutes to spare with a pick up or van and ramps that can do me a favor? The bike is literally going just 1\4 mile away.

My car is in the shop and my trailer is sitting on long island waiting to be picked up so I can't do it myself.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #15825
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Hey guys, as some of you know I will be leaving the country for a while. So if anyone here had the space and the need to borrow my trailer in a bag or tire changer feel free to ask.

I only ask that if another member here requires a hand with either towing a bike or changing a tire you offer up to help or allow them to borrow it. (the latter with my permission).

The trailer in a bag comes apart like an erector set and can fit in even the smallest of trunks. Hell you can store it under your bed or in a corner of your closet.

HaChayalBoded screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 09:20 AM