ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #15886
Smokar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Bar end blinkers ? I've seen people use those arrow shaped red lights for mirrors on their bikes.
That could have been it. I didnt get a great look because I was a car or two behind the guy, but I liked that I could see him pretty well.
Smokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM   #15887
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 409
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
....coming off the GWB onto the HHP ramp. Cabbie is in left lane, I'm in right lane next to him. Traffic in front of him slows down so he decides to pull into my lane, I try move to the shoulder and pull away.... he taps me on the rear left Pelican case.... bike goes left, then right, then left, I see the barriers in front of me and straighten her out. I get to a safe spot on the shoulder and pull over thinking the bastard was gonna stop.... yeah right! He keeps going and yells out the window "Sorry!". I get behind him and memorize his plate (1P97), follow him for a while and then finally calm down and realized how lucky I was not to have gone down. In the end I took off and he got off at 125th.

Be careful out there!!! I'm SOOOO glad I had those shitty cases!!!
damn dude. call that shit in. that's a hit and run.

i'm glad as hell you're ok but that obviously doesn't make it fine - one thing if he stopped to see how you were, maybe cut the guy a break, but "sorry" out the window means he obviously knows what he did and didn't bother stopping. 311 and report his ass, police report. vengeance.

edit: good work keeping your cool, btw.
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #15888
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Hey Gents and (FF's),

just want to drop in and say that I'm officially back in the city. No longer working downtown thanks to Sandy flooding my office building, but no worries there, as I wasn't anxious to get back to work anyway.

Will be working in midtown for the time being, 51st and 7th. Anyone park round here?

See y'all soon, and hope everyone is having good holidays so far
i park at 36th and dyer just outside the lincoln and walk to work at 7th and 38.

there's good parking where you are all in the upper 40s between 9th and 10th, it's all residential street cleaning parking. just sneak in between 2 cars.
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #15889
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
.... He keeps going and yells out the window "Sorry!". I get behind him and memorize his plate (1P97), follow him for a while and then finally calm down and realized how lucky I was not to have gone down. In the end I took off and he got off at 125th.

Glad to hear you didn't go down, John. Chances are, it was caught on a traffic cam. Turn that bastard in!

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #15890
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
new to the forum,
been riding my bicycle to work for years.
thinking about commuting more with the DRZ.

any one know a decent place to park by 28th and 5th?
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #15891
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
....coming off the GWB onto the HHP ramp. Cabbie is in left lane, I'm in right lane next to him. Traffic in front of him slows down so he decides to pull into my lane, I try move to the shoulder and pull away.... he taps me on the rear left Pelican case.... bike goes left, then right, then left, I see the barriers in front of me and straighten her out. I get to a safe spot on the shoulder and pull over thinking the bastard was gonna stop.... yeah right! He keeps going and yells out the window "Sorry!". I get behind him and memorize his plate (1P97), follow him for a while and then finally calm down and realized how lucky I was not to have gone down. In the end I took off and he got off at 125th.

Good luck with that. The fact that you didn't get hurt, sustain damage, or pull over and call the cops means they most likely won't do anything. Next time just knock off his side mirror, he doesn't use it anyway.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #15892
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
Good luck with that. The fact that you didn't get hurt, sustain damage, or pull over and call the cops means they most likely won't do anything. Next time just knock off his side mirror, he doesn't use it anyway.
I usually just kick in their doors but I was too far ahead of him. I thought about following him until he stopped somewhere but I was so glad I didn't go down that I let him go.

I should've had my video camera with me but it's so dark in the morning that it doesn't catch anything.

Brad, I checked for webcams in the area (online) and I didn't see any for that section of the ramp. I know there is one in the 170s and it probably shows me running after him in the right lane...
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #15893
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 977
Hey Rich,

yep, still in the RV for this week. Going to try moving in with the GF starting this weekend, cause its cramped in there for 2, and trickier in the winter. We'll see how it goes for a few months, but I'm reluctant to sell the RV. Its gotten to the point where I'm comfortable there, and its hard to imagine not having it. Oh well.... I once felt that way about my cage.

Do you mean someone in an RV cut you off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Still RVing it? I was stopped at a light the other day in Greenpoint and someone turned across me and it reminded me of your RV.
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #15894
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,031
Quote:
Yesterday morning I used the HOV side of the 59th Street Bridge upper level to get into the sh, er I mean city. I slip down the ramp to the light at 58th Street and pull up on the left side of a florist van. There's a TA agent directing traffic there. She eventually waves us on. I don't start yet because the woman is still standing in my path (duh). The van doesn't start moving either, for no particular reason at all. Mind you, I can't see if traffic is coming or not because of the van. Three or four seconds after the ocifer waves us on, a black limo whizzes by on 58th, against her instructions.

A few seconds after that the van driver and I are having a friendly chat about how lucky we both are, while watching the ocifer chew out the idiot in the black car.

Be careful out there, indeed.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #15895
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
I've kicked those SooperShuttle vans on my bicycle when they've turned in front of me and I can'tish avoid hitting them, but I don't think I have ever dented one. Are you guys seriously kicking and denting cars and breaking mirrors off?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #15896
Lesser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
REV'IT! Sample Sale @ Union Garage

Don't want to hijack but thought this would be relevant to this thread:

REV'IT! sample sale is happening next weekend - 12/8/12, 10AM to 4PM

Killer deals on closeout gear and warranty-return items. Sizes and availability limited, but free coffee and bagels just for showing up. Early bird gets the worm.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845113

www.UnionGarageNYC.com
103 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231; Tues-Sun
Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #15897
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
I've kicked those SooperShuttle vans on my bicycle when they've turned in front of me and I can'tish avoid hitting them, but I don't think I have ever dented one. Are you guys seriously kicking and denting cars and breaking mirrors off?
Yes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #15898
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Do you think that makes it more dangerous for you (and everyone) the next time? I've often thought that in the past when I escalated a situation...

Also, how do you go about assessing the value of a mirror. If someone cuts you off, it's the same annoyingness if they're in a Pinto or a Mercedes SLS. The mirrors have very different costs. I would hate to borrow someone's car, accidentally cut someone off, and return the car with only one mirror!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #15899
BERZERKOWITZ

Quote:
Do you think that makes it more dangerous for you (and everyone) the next time? I've often thought that in the past when I escalated a situation...

Also, how do you go about assessing the value of a mirror. If someone cuts you off, it's the same annoyingness if they're in a Pinto or a Mercedes SLS. The mirrors have very different costs. I would hate to borrow someone's car, accidentally cut someone off, and return the car with only one mirror!
Well if you don't pay attention to what you're doing and jeopardize my life, consider yourself getting off easy.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #15900
BERZERKOWITZ

Is this one of you guys?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1c7_1354378358