ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #16111
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
actually, from a safety standpoint, full face DOT approved is plenty good enough. Doesn't have to be expensive. Beyond that, you're paying for branding, fluffery, comfort, and nonsense.
Hi Doc, happy new year!!!

As for any DOT full face being good enough, ideally, yes.

Unless it is one of the many brands/models which turn out to be non-compliant with the DOT (FMVSS) specifications, un-discovered until it is too late. The feds it turns out do not test every brand and model that appears on the market.

Here is a very recent case:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...cycle-helmets/

There are many others, most often involving no-name Chinese imports.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #16112
mbishara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil View Post
True, busses are at least predictable. They don’t make left turns from the extreme right lane or any number of otherwise totally asinine maneuvers that cabs pull every day. But busses tend to run red lights and for some reason try and crush me when I am next to them, I think it’s a sport for bus drivers.
That's a funny one. I caught myself laughing and my wife thought I was crazy.

Now I'm getting worried. I finally convinced her to roll with me on a longer trip (Montreal to NYC) in April and I just geared her up with jackets, pants and even an Airhawk pillion pad.

Is it that crazy in NYC for bikers? Should I be worried since we're not accustomed to some of the unexpected antics in the city?
mbishara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #16113
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
actually, from a safety standpoint, full face DOT approved is plenty good enough. Doesn't have to be expensive. Beyond that, you're paying for branding, fluffery, comfort, and nonsense.
I will gladly pay extra for comfort, less fogging and for the helmet not to split after an accident. I had an HJC crack on me this year...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #16114
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbishara View Post

Is it that crazy in NYC for bikers? Should I be worried since we're not accustomed to some of the unexpected antics in the city?
Do you ride a MC in Montreal? I wouldn't think it would be much different, except that you don't have New Jersey drivers in Montreal.

As a recent transplant I'd have to say its intense but not crazy. Milan? Now THAT'S crazy. You just have to be aware and pro-active. Sure cabs to crazy stuff, that's why they paint the fuckers bright yellow!
(Had one cross three lanes of traffic to pick me up on West Side Hwy and 44th the other day)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #16115
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
references

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
I will gladly pay extra for comfort, less fogging and for the helmet not to split after an accident. I had an HJC crack on me this year...
My original statement still stands. If you want a helmet designed not to crack no matter what, we could follow the NFL model. How's that working out for them?

Though it's not perfect, there's no where near the level of safety testing and accountability for any other type of protective head gear. Not for bicycle helmets, not football, not even construction.

Want to know if your helmet is safe, check here. Want to guarantee that it isn't a counterfeit forgery or fake?... hmmm... you're on your own there.

PS: I'm so glad we've moved past the helmet vs. no-helmet debate and instead discussing which helmet to wear!
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #16116
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Hi Doc, happy new year!!!

As for any DOT full face being good enough, ideally, yes.

Unless it is one of the many brands/models which turn out to be non-compliant with the DOT (FMVSS) specifications, un-discovered until it is too late. The feds it turns out do not test every brand and model that appears on the market.

Here is a very recent case:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...cycle-helmets/

There are many others, most often involving no-name Chinese imports.
Happy newyear to you as well. Missed you at the Isle of Man(hattan)... What gives?

This is the recalled helmet in question:

Not quite full face, is it? There's a lot of latitude between no-name Chinese imports and a Arai Corsair V RC. Even HJC makes a $500 helmet. The sky's the limit on what one can spend on a helmet. But don't fool yourselves that more money = more safety. There are loads of full face helmets that are plenty safe for under $150, even less when on sale.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #16117
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
But don't fool yourselves that more money = more safety.
I'm not sure that safety was even slightly referred to originally. DOT / Snell approved is fine. A cheap helmet that doesn't fit well, fogs, has too much air noise, isn't comfortable etc... Just isn't worth it, even for short rides. Pay a little extra and get a better made helmet and your ride will be more enjoyable.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #16118
mbishara
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Do you ride a MC in Montreal? I wouldn't think it would be much different, except that you don't have New Jersey drivers in Montreal.

As a recent transplant I'd have to say its intense but not crazy. Milan? Now THAT'S crazy. You just have to be aware and pro-active. Sure cabs to crazy stuff, that's why they paint the fuckers bright yellow!
(Had one cross three lanes of traffic to pick me up on West Side Hwy and 44th the other day)
Yes it gets wild in Montreal. But because I live here it's a predictable wild.

NYC is way more populated and all of the comments about T-Boning, crossing multiple lanes to take us out got me thinking a little bit.

But, hey, isn't that part of the excitement of motorcycling to another city?

We'll be good. Can't wait to head down and listen to all of the relatives comment about my death wish motorcycle passion ;).

http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #16119
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Of all the awsome places and great people in Canada why would you want to come to this dump? :
Well if your heart is set on it i can suggest some nice roads if you want a quiet border cross and some nice back roads.
A friend and i rode up to montreal last summer and bummed out at oka on the beach .

Sent from my Android
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #16120
mbishara
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manx_20 View Post
Of all the awsome places and great people in Canada why would you want to come to this dump? :
Well if your heart is set on it i can suggest some nice roads if you want a quiet border cross and some nice back roads.
A friend and i rode up to montreal last summer and bummed out at oka on the beach .

Sent from my Android
There's a charm to NYC and NJ. Full of childhood memories of visits to family and friends.

The ride is part of the enjoyment for me. For my wife it's the destination but I'm hoping to interest her in the ride aspect of the journey as well.

If you can suggest some roads then it would be great! Even if it's a GPX file....

Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #16121
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,244
Quote:
Are you referring to Campbell Hall or NYC?

NYC is one of the most exciting places on earth. A little gritty? Maybe, but that's part of it's charm.

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in the city.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #16122
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

for the sake of keeping you married I think i great compromise between not dragging the ride out for her and still being a great ride is the Rt 30 (US) / Rt 138 (CA) border crossing (which by the way has the cutest border guard who even let us take some pictures there without too much hassle) and it appears that only a few people ever go thru there. You can take rt 30 pretty much all the way down past Albany and into the northern Catskills. It will take thru some great little towns and its very scenic. You'll also pass be the Adirondack Museum which is awesome. You can take rt30 as far down as Margertville before it really starts taking you in the wrong direction and there which roads you take depends on how adventurous you're feeling. You can either take rt 47 through Frost Valley or the faster rt 28 and check out places like Phoenica.

And if you find yourself nearing Woodbury Commons feel free to drop by. The fridge is always full of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbishara View Post
There's a charm to NYC and NJ. Full of childhood memories of visits to family and friends.

The ride is part of the enjoyment for me. For my wife it's the destination but I'm hoping to interest her in the ride aspect of the journey as well.

If you can suggest some roads then it would be great! Even if it's a GPX file....

Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #16123
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

This is our path. Up thru NY and down thru VT
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #16124
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
This is our path. Up thru NY and down thru VT
Hmm that's the type of a trip I would love to take LGIR so she can gain more confidence in her riding. How many days of riding was it?
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #16125
mbishara
Adventurer

That does look like a nice one thank you. Better than straight slab both ways.