ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #16171
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
All FL vehicle registrations (except commercial vehicles) expire annually on your birthday. I just renewed five registrations this morning.

Tipsy
Happy Birthday!!!

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #16172
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Happy Birthday!!!
Thanks...it's next month

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #16173
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo66 View Post
sorry, but that's not correct.
+1
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #16174
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
Sorry, but that's not correct.

From NYS DMV site:

"You will receive a ten day inspection extension if you buy or get a vehicle from someone other than a NYS dealer. After you register the vehicle in NYS, you have ten days from the date of registration to have the vehicle inspected. Any inspection issued to the previous registrant is not valid after you register the vehicle."

I'm not saying lots of people don't just use the unexpired inspection sticker that comes with a vehicle, I did it myself, but legally you must have the vehicle reinspected.
Hmm, but how would it be known ? You generally don't keep an inspection receipt with you, all you have is a sticker on the bike showing when the inspection expires. It does not state that it is only valid for the current registered owner.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #16175
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Sorry, I got my wires crossed there a bit. You're right it's the registration.

About the turn signals, I've been harassed on more than a few occasions with some of the custom bikes I've had and was once pulled over because he didn't see my tail lights tucked in under my solo seat and preceded to nitpick my ride and gave me a few tickets including one for having my tail light axle mounted, which is legal! I got screwed in court and had to pay $180 even though I was right.

My point is that, at least for me. They're gonna pull you over anyway so do what you want, but be prepared to get the shaft.

I know that integrated tail lights aren't legal as there's some rule where they have to be so many inches apart, I think 10" but not sure. Concerning front blinkers I'd imagine its the same thing.
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #16176
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Hmm, but how would it be known ? You generally don't keep an inspection receipt with you, all you have is a sticker on the bike showing when the inspection expires. It does not state that it is only valid for the current registered owner.
When you register a car or bike, they always give you a small square white date stamped piece of paper that states it's your 10 day temporary inspection sticker. They're letting you know with that piece of paper you have ten days to get your vehicle reinspected. That's your notice.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #16177
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,603
Quote:
When you register a car or bike, they always give you a small square white date stamped piece of paper that states it's your 10 day temporary inspection sticker. They're letting you know with that piece of paper you have ten days to get your vehicle reinspected. That's your notice.
I never mentioned your notice, what I asked was how would it be known that the inspection sticker on your bike was paid for by you and not the previous owner. All it says on it is when it expires. I guess a cop can look at your registration and see your inspection was done before that date, but even then, the registration can be a renewal.

My point is this, if you buy a bike, that has an inspection sticker, then you are good to go. You're not going to get a ticket for no inspection if it's valid.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #16178
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Eddie and Steve, you are arguing different points. Yes you can use the sticker and it is fine, but legally you must get it reinspected. I will say that there is a one in a million chance that someone could pull our sticker. There is no central database, the dealer keeps the paper on file that they record all of the inspections on (I think 36 months). It can be viewed by a DMV inspector (I've never seen one) or by a PO.
A million years ago we had a customer and his girlfriend get killed on his bike. They tried to beat the toll arm on the Mid-town tunnel and lost, killing both of them. The accident investigation officer came to our shop and told us, and mentioned he had a receipt in his pocket for some service work and an inspection. He asked to see the inspection book, and talked to the mechanic and service manager.
No big deal, but if there was an issue it could have become one, though I guess you can't cite a dead rider.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #16179
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Would you ride it?

Lady Gaga is a motorcycle
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #16180
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
Sorry, I got my wires crossed there a bit. You're right it's the registration.

About the turn signals, I've been harassed on more than a few occasions with some of the custom bikes I've had and was once pulled over because he didn't see my tail lights tucked in under my solo seat and preceded to nitpick my ride and gave me a few tickets including one for having my tail light axle mounted, which is legal! I got screwed in court and had to pay $180 even though I was right.

My point is that, at least for me. They're gonna pull you over anyway so do what you want, but be prepared to get the shaft.

I know that integrated tail lights aren't legal as there's some rule where they have to be so many inches apart, I think 10" but not sure. Concerning front blinkers I'd imagine its the same thing.
Just register the darn bikes in Vermont. Completely legally and no more dealing with NYC/NYS crap
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #16181
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 944
So how do you actually do the out of state resident titling/plating of motorcycles for Vermont. I hear about it a lot but really havent heard anyone actually explain it point by point.
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #16182
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisflatearth View Post
So how do you actually do the out of state resident titling/plating of motorcycles for Vermont. I hear about it a lot but really havent heard anyone actually explain it point by point.
http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf

really just ride up to the dmv with title, get the vin done and walk out with plates. i make a weekend trip out of the experience by going to the bennington branch which is also the closest. your meant to get it inspected, for dirt bikes to street legal dual sport it's pre-registration and i think post for street. since my bikes stay in nyc i don't bother and i'm pretty sure nypd could not give me a ticket for some questionable items and whatnot. but VIN verification is basically the only thing needed besides title. for untitled bikes check out the vermont dmv thread.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #16183
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
GIVE BLOOD! PLEASE GIVE BLOOD - SOME GAVE ALL. Motorcyclist Blood Drive & Party- Sunday February 17, 2013 Queens, NY American Motorcyclists Association-District 34 will host a blood drive on Sunday, February 17, 2012, 10:30a.m.-4:30p.m. at Harley-Davidson/Buell® of NYC, 42-11 Northern Boulevard, Long Island City, NY 11101. You don’t need a bike to get here, riders are encouraged to bring a carload of friends to donate a pint of blood. It’s going to be a great time!

The members of AMA D-34 and staff at Harley-Davidson of NYC are planning a winter blues-busting party with music by the Transplant Band, a bagel brunch buffet and raffles. Check out the 2013 motorcycles and riding gear. Big-hearted bikers and the surrounding community donated 50 pints last year, but the need is greater than ever.

Blood supplies decrease in winter since fewer people donate. Your donation supports this community, where it is most likely lifesaving to help someone you know. The New York Blood Centers experienced professionals guarantee each donors comfort and safety; they'll even receive a gift.

All adults are welcome, however, those with a tattoo less than one year old are not eligible to donate.

Contact: The New York Blood Center 516-478-5105 or www.nybloodcenter.org . Biker’s Blood Drive & Party: 212-689-0063
http://www.nybloodcenter.org/
www.nybloodcenter.org
Old 01-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #16184
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,044
Pissed need to vent

Time to find a new world.

A company that made NET profits in 2010 of 3.59 billion, 2011 of 2.06 billion, and should be doing about the same for 2012, just fired my boss, who has been with the company for about 20 years, because according the business models, he was a VP without enough departmental responsibilty. This after they forced him over the last year to outscource functions to India (where I had to go work in a town that smelled of burning human feces).

I've been told by my managers and those around me that no one here has received a bonus or a raise since 2007. As my "industry" keeps making billions in profits, I'm getting priced out of my neighborhood in brooklyn. I don't know how much longer I can stay in this city.

GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #16185
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Time to find a new world.

A company that made NET profits in 2010 of 3.59 billion, 2011 of 2.06 billion, and should be doing about the same for 2012, just fired my boss, who has been with the company for about 20 years, because according the business models, he was a VP without enough departmental responsibilty. This after they forced him over the last year to outscource functions to India (where I had to go work in a town that smelled of burning human feces).

I've been told by my managers and those around me that no one here has received a bonus or a raise since 2007. As my "industry" keeps making billions in profits, I'm getting priced out of my neighborhood in brooklyn. I don't know how much longer I can stay in this city.

Sorry, man. I know you've had the fuzzy end of that lollipop for a while.

Sadly, very unsurprising that your department is poorly funded and morale is low, given that you work in the one part of the financial industry which is supposed to be making sure all the other parts aren't robbing the country, blind.

(Now that I write all that, I'm pretty sure you should just post this to the Basement and get it over with. )

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote