ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #16276
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
Who's your paint guy (is Neftali on the forums)?

I'm POR-ing the tank from my 78 GS1000, though I've been holding off out of inertia and a vague fear of messing it up somehow.
I'd love to see a photo of the 250. Holler if you need any help as well. If it isn't too different than its big brothers, I have a ton of experience "fixing" those old zukes from my 850 (I like to think of it as learning by breaking).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
The show was meh... I left after 2 hours on Saturday (packed), some nice bikes though and I loved the GP section.

I left to go buy a 74' Suzuki GT250, I should have probably stayed at the show hehe this thing needs work, but I can't wait to have it running again. I have no idea where to even get tires for this thing, but ill figure it out. Just got the POR-15 today and hopefully Neftali can paint it.

Sorry to hear about the outsourcing guys, it's a tough thing to deal with.
Why don't you guys use electrolytic rust removal? I think it's way better than POR 15--hook the tank up to a battery charger, plate a sacrificial anode with rust, and use concrete sealer to seal the inside of it. I've had terrific luck with that method...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #16277
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Why don't you guys use electrolytic rust removal? I think it's way better than POR 15--hook the tank up to a battery charger, plate a sacrificial anode with rust, and use concrete sealer to seal the inside of it. I've had terrific luck with that method...
can you tell me more about using concrete sealer? Is it for the final step? I am thinking to clean up my tank. I've made a power supply to use the electrolytic method. Just have to figure out how to seal the tank.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #16278
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
can you tell me more about using concrete sealer? Is it for the final step? I am thinking to clean up my tank. I've made a power supply to use the electrolytic method. Just have to figure out how to seal the tank.
My tips:

dont bother looking for sodium carbonate (arm and hammer washing powder)--it is impossible to find. instead, take sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and heat it in aqueous soln. to about 180F. The carbon boils off and you get sodium carbonate.

once you are done with the treatment, flush the tank with water. Then pour in phosphoric acid (this is concrete sealer, or actual phosphoric acid) for an hour or two. Then flush with baking soda solution to neutralize the acid. then water. then acetone to absorb the water. then dry the whole thing very very well. Then slosh ATF around inside it.

Initially:

Big, possibly flammable and corrosive mess:

Satisfaction!

ATF for extra sealing:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm
http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/
http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html
http://www.antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
http://www.rowand.net/shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #16279
Ren20
Finding Touge

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #16280
Ren20
Finding Touge

How long did the treatment take? what kind of power source did you use? My power supply is actually a ATX power supply converted to a bench tester. It's got 12v and 5v source. max output of the unit is about 380W. do you think this will work?

I also have a battery tender jr. Not sure if that will work. others had said that it has to connect to a real battery in order to initiate the charge.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #16281
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
How long did the treatment take? what kind of power source did you use? My power supply is actually a ATX power supply converted to a bench tester. It's got 12v and 5v source. max output of the unit is about 380W. do you think this will work?

I also have a battery tender jr. Not sure if that will work. others had said that it has to connect to a real battery in order to initiate the charge.
I used a junky battery tender, the tiny kind you get at autozone for $20 that's 6V or 12V. It has to connect to a battery to initiate a charge to, but you can vary the resistance of the water buy putting in more or less sodium carbonate (bicarbonate, I forget), and sanding the sacrificial anode so it's bare. Your mega charger would work, but you should research what the ideal method is, which I don't know.

It took maybe 8 hours of being hooked up to the charger, with sanding of the sacrificial anode (which gets plated with the rust) every hour, or whenever the charger stopped charging becuase the resistance got too high.

the whole process took a day. Boring and tedious, but incredibly satisfying at the end!

I did a Honda C70 (shown) tank two honda hobbit tanks (with decent results, though the anode can only "see" about half the tank, and a Honda CB550 tank. The C70 tank is the best because the whole inside is concave. If the anode cant see the entire inner surface of the tank it takes longer, I think (but I may be wrong). Whatever is closest to the anode gets cleaned first.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #16282
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
i tried to do that.

i think my anode was the wrong metal - i tried using a threaded rod from home depot and it's probably some kind of zinc plated crap. anyway i got a lot of white/green foamy crud, kind of like you'd see at a nasty beach. no rust though.
http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=198618

not sure how i want to proceed now. i bought the POR kit, so that money's spent. people rave about it generally, also. and i don't have phosphoric acid

edit: oh here's the skunk btw
Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #16283
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Please explain how it's way better than POR-15?

For $47.50 shipped I can take care of the tank rust and never have to worry about it again.

I'm familiar with all the different processes and methods several companies offer for this and the best one (and easiest) requiring the least amount of effort is hands down POR-15. I don't have a garage as I live in the city, your method would require me to purchase several things I don't currently own and have to look for to take care of this.

Check out my write-up... super easy to take care of and to this day my Ninja tank is in superb shape (Ethanol and all).
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #16284
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Quote:
Check out my writeup, it's super easy to do. This was my first time and I used EVAPORUST first which was not needed, so disregard.

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154997
terrific write up, great photos. thanks for that.
question: do you have to worry about the petcock holes (threaded bolt holes, main hole) with the sealant (final can)? someone mentioned that the sealant will dry in them. things like this are why i haven't gotten around to doing my tank yet :)

the schwartz screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 01:57 PM
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #16285
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
terrific write up, great photos. thanks for that.
question: do you have to worry about the petcock holes (threaded bolt holes, main hole) with the sealant (final can)? someone mentioned that the sealant will dry in them. things like this are why i haven't gotten around to doing my tank yet :)
Not at all, once you are done spinning the tank in all directions and coating the whole thing (letting the liquid go everywhere), you then have to pour the excess out and throw it away. Once you spin it enough and it has coated the tank perfectly, grab a box smaller than the tank ligned with a paper bag (that wont leak from the bottom) and place the tank on a corner (petcock hole facing down) to make sure even the smallest amount of excess drips out without smearing on your paint. Once that's done you are good because there wont be any excess to dry in any of the holes. I would then use the brush and go over any puddling in the petcock hole (if you're paranoid) and also go over the gas tank hole in case you missed that area (as it's typically curved).

I'm a perfectionist with things, so after I thought I got all the liquid out, I held the tank upright where the petcock corner hole is (so stuff would puddle there) for 5 min or so, and then turned it and got even more stuff out from the petcock hole.

It is super easy to do, remember the consistency is watery (I expected oily) so its easy to coat it everywhere inside and pour it out. Once you're done, just leave the tank alone for a few days and let it dry. I'm actually looking forward to doing this again this weekend.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #16286
Ren20
Finding Touge

Can you clean my tank for me too :)

J/K. Your write up was great. I actually read a few times. I just happen to have most of stuff to do the electrolytic method at my disposal. So I will give that a try. Hopefully my bench tester wont blow things up.

I am actually doing this on a SV650 tank. This thing has two big holes, one for gas cap and other one for fuel pump. Got any idea what I can use to plug the holes?

I also have two ideas in mind.
1, half tank first, then flip it upside down for the other half.
2, submerge the tank in a plastic container to charge the whole thing at once. I hope the two holes will line up so the anode will go thru.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #16287
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you clean my tank for me too :)

J/K. Your write up was great. I actually read a few times. I just happen to have most of stuff to do the electrolytic method at my disposal. So I will give that a try. Hopefully my bench tester wont blow things up.

I am actually doing this on a SV650 tank. This thing has two big holes, one for gas cap and other one for fuel pump. Got any idea what I can use to plug the holes?

I also have two ideas in mind.
1, half tank first, then flip it upside down for the other half.
2, submerge the tank in a plastic container to charge the whole thing at once. I hope the two holes will line up so the anode will go thru.
It's a learning experience hehe

I'm familiar with the tank, I would just go to home depot, buy some sheetmetal or other material you can cut to the size of the fuel pump (drill holes etc) and plug up the fuel pump hole. The ways you suggested could work as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #16288
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Quote:
to make sure even the smallest amount of excess drips out without smearing on your paint. .
the nice part is, i don't actually have any paint on this tank
you've inspired me - maybe i'll actually tackle this over the weekend as well. it'd be nice to make some headway on that bike.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #16289
Ren20
Finding Touge

just got back from a ride.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #16290
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote: