ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #16321
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
For anyone interested, here's my small restoration thread of my 1974 Suzuki GT250 Hustler:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45624.0

Any input is appreciated with tips/tricks etc.

For example, this is how clueless I am, what size tire is a 3.0 x 18 (front tire size), the rear is 4.0 x 18. Is that a 90/90 (for the front) in today's standards?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #16322
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
For anyone interested, here's my small restoration thread of my 1974 Suzuki GT250 Hustler:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45624.0

Any input is appreciated with tips/tricks etc.

For example, this is how clueless I am, what size tire is a 3.0 x 18 (front tire size), the rear is 4.0 x 18. Is that a 90/90 (for the front) in today's standards?
cool bike! that'll be fun to zip around town.

if you're looking for info/advice i'd recommend starting a build thread here: http://thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php
all your questions shall be answered. seriously, if there's anything these guys don't know about old zukes i haven't found it yet.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #16323
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
cool bike! that'll be fun to zip around town.

if you're looking for info/advice i'd recommend starting a build thread here: http://thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php
all your questions shall be answered. seriously, if there's anything these guys don't know about old zukes i haven't found it yet.
Thanks man, I will go ahead and join the group, greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #16324
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Dyer Ave median:
i park there most days. much nicer bikes there than mine; i'm not worried about mine getting stolen. there are some bikes there that are pretty clearly parked there 24/7. i still throw a disc lock on and make sure the steering column's locked.
i did get ticketed there once, some douche PEO tagged every bike there for "sidewalk". i fought it by mail and sent in a bunch of photos showing that it's not a sidewalk and never heard back; i think they thew away my letter. still shows as owing $ in the system.

Take off your plate and park anywhere:

i got towed on Broadway (commercial only) with my plate off. effing close to $500 and a half a day getting it out of hock. i'd maybe park somewhere if i could sneak my bike between vehicles, but i'm spooked to park anywhere illegal that a tow can access now if i'm gonna be there for more than 1/2 an hour or so :/
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #16325
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Starting a new job at 40th and Bway on Feb 11. I'll be commuting by train, but on the off chance I want to ride in to get a head start on a weekend trip, is there anywhere remotely convenient that wont cost an arm and a leg to park a bike near there?

I park legally on the street daily - 44 between 9 and 10. Plenty of spots.
hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #16326
Bike Holiday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
After getting ripped of in this city at every turn I am seriously thinking
about getting a POS portapotty type van with excellent locks to serve
as my stealth mobile secure parking solution even if the bike I get is
worth less than 2 grandride the bike up into the van lock it then
drive into the neighbor hood park it right next to the spot where
illegal stuff's happening walk home and get a great night's sleep

Great looking bike feel sorry for the owner but anything that looks like
that is going to get stolen if it's out in the street I hope he was insured

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
A guy who parks in the same garage as me (Vaxmoto) had his Husaberg FS650c stolen last night from his apt in Sunset Park.

It's a pretty rare bike, so I figured I'd throw this out there for him. If anyone hears/sees anything, shoot me a PM and I'll tell him.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #16327
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
I park legally on the street daily - 44 between 9 and 10. Plenty of spots.
+1 to this. i think i'm going to stop parking on the dyer median and go to 44th instead.

i wrote in to NYC Finance to follow up on the ticket i got at Dyer ave since I mailed in my Not Guilty plea with photos showing IT'S NOT A SIDEWALK and never heard back.

got a response from them yesterday saying that I was found guilty cause I didn't prove that it was a legal parking spot (guilty till proven innocent???) and claiming that a letter was sent informing me of that back in August, and by the way since it's been so long now I may not appeal the decision, eff you very much, sincerely, new york city.

good news? that was the bike i just sold; i don't have that plate anymore - just mailed it back to NJ MVC.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #16328
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
+
good news? that was the bike i just sold; i don't have that plate anymore - just mailed it back to NJ MVC.
Bad news, any delinquent payments owed to NYCDMV over $350 qualifies ANY other vehicles registered under your name to be eligible to be towed as scofflaw. Just a heads up.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #16329
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
Bad news, any delinquent payments owed to NYCDMV over $350 qualifies ANY other vehicles registered under your name to be eligible to be towed as scofflaw. Just a heads up.
Oh hell yeah, I was a scofflaw for a short time, what a pain to sort it out too. I thought it was $250 though
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #16330
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Anyone here a member of Vaxmoto? Curious to know if the general atmosphere is one where beginners can learn wrenching from fellow members or if it's mostly a keep to your yourself vibe.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #16331
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Guys, Need your opinion,

I love classic bikes, after reading some of your restoration projects here. I'd love to pick up a running condition one myself. I mainly want to use it as my around town transportation. I have another reliable bike for longer trips.

My around town bike is vino 125 now, extremely reliable and functional. Tho I got stranded going up the Manhattan bridge once last year. with a broken belt. Had to push it up. fun times. Anyway, the scooter storage compartment is very practical as well. I currently park the scooter on the curb. Never have a problem. If I get a classic bike, scooter has to go. I can't keep two bikes on the street. Owning 3 bikes will also be a headache. My other bike is garaged, I wish it has more space. I can only park one bike there.

I know for sure I will miss the vino. It's a great grocery getter. next to nothing maintenance. $3 fills up the tank that last me a month. really Can't think of a solution. What do you think?
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #16332
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
How long did the treatment take? what kind of power source did you use? My power supply is actually a ATX power supply converted to a bench tester. It's got 12v and 5v source. max output of the unit is about 380W. do you think this will work?

I also have a battery tender jr. Not sure if that will work. others had said that it has to connect to a real battery in order to initiate the charge.
Quote:
Guys, Need your opinion,

I love classic bikes, after reading some of your restoration projects here. I'd love to pick up a running condition one myself. I mainly want to use it as my around town transportation. I have another reliable bike for longer trips.

My around town bike is vino 125 now, extremely reliable and functional. Tho I got stranded going up the Manhattan bridge once last year. with a broken belt. Had to push it up. fun times. Anyway, the scooter storage compartment is very practical as well. I currently park the scooter on the curb. Never have a problem. If I get a classic bike, scooter has to go. I can't keep two bikes on the street. Owning 3 bikes will also be a headache. My other bike is garaged, I wish it has more space. I can only park one bike there.

I know for sure I will miss the vino. It's a great grocery getter. next to nothing maintenance. $3 fills up the tank that last me a month. really Can't think of a solution. What do you think?

How about a Vetter Mystery Ship?

Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #16333
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
How about a Vetter Mystery Ship?

good god, it burns.

ren, what's your idea of classic, 80's? 70's? british? Jap? all have their pros and cons and all involve work. personally i'ed stay with some of the more popular models regardless of make. cb's are always classics, there's a vinmoto mailing list that you should consider signing up for and posting asking if anyone has anything for sale (google nycvinmoto)
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #16334
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
Yep, any vehicle. I let a friend of mine use my name to register a vehicle since his insurance was sky high. Bad idea, he racked up a shit load of tickets while I was away for a few months. I come home, grab a friends bike, temporarily put my tags on it. Bam, next day it gets towed.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #16335
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Guys, Need your opinion,

You should buy my bike, it's the ultimate babe magnet. A Honda CB400 in the ultimate color combo of red and rust. Act now and I'll fill the tires with premium winter air.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote