ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #16336
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Anyone here a member of Vaxmoto? Curious to know if the general atmosphere is one where beginners can learn wrenching from fellow members or if it's mostly a keep to your yourself vibe.
I'm not a member but live nearby and have stopped in a few times to look around and talk with people and the guys there seemed pretty cool. Why not just stop in and do what I did and see for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
Guys, Need your opinion,

I love classic bikes, after reading some of your restoration projects here. I'd love to pick up a running condition one myself. I mainly want to use it as my around town transportation. I have another reliable bike for longer trips.

My around town bike is vino 125 now, extremely reliable and functional. Tho I got stranded going up the Manhattan bridge once last year. with a broken belt. Had to push it up. fun times. Anyway, the scooter storage compartment is very practical as well. I currently park the scooter on the curb. Never have a problem. If I get a classic bike, scooter has to go. I can't keep two bikes on the street. Owning 3 bikes will also be a headache. My other bike is garaged, I wish it has more space. I can only park one bike there.

I know for sure I will miss the vino. It's a great grocery getter. next to nothing maintenance. $3 fills up the tank that last me a month. really Can't think of a solution. What do you think?
Keep in mind man. basically any "classic" motorcycle will need more maintenance than a scooter or newer bike. If you know your way around bikes this isn't too bad at all, but if you have to bring it into a shop the cost will kill you in a few months. Classic bikes are great but they NEED attention. I just sold my '70 XS650 hardtail and had sellers remorse within a day or two. The bike was great but ALWAYS needed something.

I agree to stay with a more popular model. the parts are easier to find and they are easier to work on usually because more people know about them and they have dedicated forums. I have an '85 Honda rebel I might be selling soon if you wanted to take a look at it. Great on gas, looks cool, easy to ride around the city. I highly recommend the rebel as a knock around bike. Parts are easy and the motor is basically bullet proof.

Detale screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 03:51 PM
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #16337
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Yes, I will stay with more popular models. 70s to 80s japanese bikes. Just keeping it simple. I have worked on my bikes, I believe I will be okay as long as not involving opening up the engine :) CBs are way too popular the price actually reflects Manhattan real estate.

I understand old bikes will always need small things here and there. Only reason I am thinking about this is because this can be a second bike and can afford down time. I would keep my scooter too if I can.
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #16338
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
Bad news, any delinquent payments owed to NYCDMV over $350 qualifies ANY other vehicles registered under your name to be eligible to be towed as scofflaw. Just a heads up.
this is discouraging but really important info. thank you for letting me know.

any idea where i can find out more information about this? my plates are NJ, not NY. if i had to guess i'd say it's not going to matter and the DMV people from both states are playing patty-cake together conspiring about how to steal the most money from residents of both states, but i'd love to know for sure before i toss $125 into the maw

the schwartz screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 05:09 PM
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #16339
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,212
you were parked "illegally". bottom line. because it's "tolerated" or "ignored" for 364 days but got nailed on that last day doesn't make it right. it just means the law of averages caught up with you.

there are a lot of threads here on "what can we get away with?". lots until that day you get caught. then those 364 days of "good i got away with it" get forgotten for that one day where it all went wrong and costs you dollars.

i get it, you want to ride. you want somewhere to park. this city doesn't lend itself to it. i despise it. hence why i don't bother too often to ride and park anywhere. if it isn't the law its the fucktards stealing, vandalizing or not realizing there's an object in their path in their quest for the close parking spot to their building.

you can't win in this city unless you have some form of private secured parking. that usually costs you money. and certainly isn't a 100% guarentee of carefree living. my bikes are secured. i still check on them more often then should be necessary. but don't worry; i pay for it by nutsacks trying to break into my brand new vehicle. to steal what? a dirt helmet? certainly not the car; it won't go anywhere without the key fob. you can't win in this shithole of a city.

/rant over.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #16340
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Free in CL, not mine.

CL > north jersey > all for sale / wanted > free stuff
7scsv-3571817563@sale.craigslist.org [?]
Posted: 2013-01-25, 7:51PM EST
Free Old Motorcycle Service Manuals (Jersey City, NJ)

From 1981 - 1996
Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda and 1 Suzuki Service Manual. Approx. 100 books for free.
Would love for a mechanic to get them.
105 Stevens Ave. (google map) (yahoo map)
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3571817563
email to a friend

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #16341
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
I agree to stay with a more popular model. the parts are easier to find and they are easier to work on usually because more people know about them and they have dedicated forums. I have an '85 Honda rebel I might be selling soon if you wanted to take a look at it. Great on gas, looks cool, easy to ride around the city. I highly recommend the rebel as a knock around bike. Parts are easy and the motor is basically bullet proof.
if it was a nighthawk i'ed be all over this, i want one to cafe out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Free in CL, not mine.

CL > north jersey > all for sale / wanted > free stuff
7scsv-3571817563@sale.craigslist.org [?]
Free Old Motorcycle Service Manuals (Jersey City, NJ)

From 1981 - 1996
Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda and 1 Suzuki Service Manual. Approx. 100 books for free.
Would love for a mechanic to get them.
105 Stevens Ave. (google map) (yahoo map)
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3571817563
email to a friend

good find steve, i might go check this out. take a few books, always good to have.

group ride to nj this weekend?? i got the milk crate on the klr so plenty of space for books
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #16342
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Anyone here a member of Vaxmoto? Curious to know if the general atmosphere is one where beginners can learn wrenching from fellow members or if it's mostly a keep to your yourself vibe.
I've been there since the beginning- way back about 1 1/2 years ago, hehe. Great atmosphere, or you can keep to yourself if you want. There are actually a few guys working together building a few bikes- just for kicks. One of them is an older GSXR that they've totally modified and are planning on racing it at a salt-flats event in the summer. A few guys are pretty creative and very good at fabbing/welding/etc. If you ever need help with anything, people are pretty willing to lend a hand there. The owner (Justin) is a cool guy, too.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #16343
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Anyone know where to get battery electrolyte around here?

I just bought a Yuasa 12V for the GT250 and I didn't realize the electrolyte has to be ordered separately.

Any help appreciated.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #16344
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post

any idea where i can find out more information about this? my plates are NJ, not NY. if i had to guess i'd say it's not going to matter and the DMV people from both states are playing patty-cake together conspiring about how to steal the most money from residents of both states, but i'd love to know for sure before i toss $125 into the maw
You can check NY here

I think this may be the Jersey one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Anyone know where to get battery electrolyte around here?

I just bought a Yuasa 12V for the GT250 and I didn't realize the electrolyte has to be ordered separately.

Any help appreciated.
I thought they gave you the little pouch of acid and you had to add distilled water to make the electrolyte. Where did you buy it?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #16345
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Oh hell yeah, I was a scofflaw for a short time, what a pain to sort it out too. I thought it was $250 though
$350 the last time I checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post

It doesn't matter what state the plate is from. If you rack up tickets in NY, whatever comes up under your name is fair game. Even limo companies that owe tickets can have any one of their fleet cars taken. That's how it works. Do yourself a favor and pay the fine. Long after you forget about that ticket, you will be reminded when your car or bike is taken and costs you twice as much to get it back.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #16346
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
... Do yourself a favor and pay the fine. Long after you forget about that ticket, you will be reminded when your car or bike is taken and costs you twice as much to get it back.
Not to mention it will get towed at the absolutely most inopportune time. Especially if you're running late.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 AM   #16347
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,659
So...long story short...I guess just take the train eh?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #16348
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
you were parked "illegally". bottom line. because it's "tolerated" or "ignored" for 364 days but got nailed on that last day doesn't make it right. it just means the law of averages caught up with you.

there are a lot of threads here on "what can we get away with?". lots until that day you get caught. then those 364 days of "good i got away with it" get forgotten for that one day where it all went wrong and costs you dollars.

i get it, you want to ride. you want somewhere to park. this city doesn't lend itself to it. i despise it. hence why i don't bother too often to ride and park anywhere. if it isn't the law its the fucktards stealing, vandalizing or not realizing there's an object in their path in their quest for the close parking spot to their building.

you can't win in this city unless you have some form of private secured parking. that usually costs you money. and certainly isn't a 100% guarentee of carefree living. my bikes are secured. i still check on them more often then should be necessary. but don't worry; i pay for it by nutsacks trying to break into my brand new vehicle. to steal what? a dirt helmet? certainly not the car; it won't go anywhere without the key fob. you can't win in this shithole of a city.

/rant over.
Dude, life's way too fucking short to spend any of it in a place you detest. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 AM   #16349
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
I thought they gave you the little pouch of acid and you had to add distilled water to make the electrolyte. Where did you buy it?
I bought it online from 2wheelpros, none of the online sites carry the acid, this site didn't say it didn't. Ill call Them and see what they say but this sucks now more waiting time for this. I might just return it if I have to fork over another $25-$30 and get a sealed Shorai.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #16350
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Yep, any vehicle. I let a friend of mine use my name to register a vehicle since his insurance was sky high. Bad idea, he racked up a shit load of tickets while I was away for a few months. I come home, grab a friends bike, temporarily put my tags on it. Bam, next day it gets towed.
wow, that is the dumbest move ever. what's next? admitting paternity of the friend's illegitimate child?
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote