ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #16381
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
That's where Chinese food delivery guys train. Feet down for safety.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #16382
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
That's where Chinese food delivery guys train. Feet down for safety.
Can't be, most of them use their signals.

42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #16383
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
For reference:

Fake!!!! They all stunt people in Hollywood!!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #16384
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 865
Sckill, Tengai,

Thanks!

And keep those votes rolling in. I'm currently in 4th place.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #16385
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Can't be, most of them use their signals.
True...true.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16386
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
lol true
Actually the way it works in real life is that the biggest vehicle has the right of way. Buses don't stop for anybody.

Out on the highway, the buses will pull out on 2-lane roads to pass whether it's clear or not. They just lay on the horn and plow through and you better move out of the way.

But yeah, surprisingly, pretty much everyone uses their turn signals.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #16387
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Actually the way it works in real life is that the biggest vehicle has the right of way. Buses don't stop for anybody.

Out on the highway, the buses will pull out on 2-lane roads to pass whether it's clear or not. They just lay on the horn and plow through and you better move out of the way.

But yeah, surprisingly, pretty much everyone uses their turn signals.
Yeah I know, I come from a third world country. Unfortunately I've seen several people in my country live by the "if you hit anyone on two wheels, you keep going". It's completely wrong, but there are daily incidents of lower income motorcyclists jumping in front of vehicles (slower moving ones anyway) so they can collect $$.

One example of this not happening was this past summer I took my fiancee to see my beautiful country, and we took a road trip all over (DR) for two weeks, in this incident my father was driving his Chevy van with us in the car including my mom and sis, my fiancees first day there. My father decided to take a shortcut through a poor neighborhood due to traffic congestion, and he signaled to make a left turn into a street, while mid-turn, some 19yr old kid was flying around a blind curve at around 40MPH+ (too fast for a tight street), and the kid (who had his head turned another direction) was looking the other way and face planted right into the side of the van with his brand new Chinese 200cc standard motorcycle - he plowed right into my fiancees window (not wearing ANY gear). So now, you have 4 white dominicans and 1 gringa, in a rough neighborhood, and a local guy in a moto accident.

I got out with my dad and told the girls to lock up (we are armed), we got surrounded by 40 people telling us to pay up, that it was our fault etc... (which wasn't) the kid was in shock, yelling and screaming, he was bleeding from his leg but was ok, we noticed he had no papers, no plate, and was demanding serious cash. They have bike part stores everywhere in DR, so I analyzed his bike (bent handlebar, broken signal light, broken shift lever, and that's it), so after we threatened to call the cops (his fault and they always side with the whites...messed up right), everyone quickly realized we weren't backing down for a reason (they were trying to scare us lol), and just told us to help him out, so we gave him $40 (which should be enough to fix it according to him), because we felt bad and then left. Van had a 3 inch dent and scratch on the door, Chevrolet strength.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #16388
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
kid (who had his head turned another direction) was looking the other way and face planted right into the side of the van with his brand new Chinese 200cc standard motorcycle - he plowed right into my fiancees window (not wearing ANY gear).
I have witnessed the lack of riding gears in Asia as well. Riders didn't wear gears regardless of what they were riding. Perhaps the hot and humid weather are big part of it.

Ren20 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 10:40 AM
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #16389
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post
I have witnessed the lack of riding gears in Asia as well. Riders didn't wear gears regardless of what they were riding. Perhaps the hot and humid weather are big part of it.
Yeah it's crazy how they don't wear anything, but then most of those bikes don't go past 45mph, but still you should be wearing some type of gear, we only saw one town in the whole country where everyone was wearing helmets (open face).
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #16390
Ren20
Finding Touge

Oddometer: 111
Anyone wanna trade your running Japanese classic bike for my 2006 vino 125? the vino is super reliable :)
Ren20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #16391
jimmycorp
adventure lurker

Oddometer: 179
Moto Gear Stores in City

Anyone know where I can go in the city to try on gear? Any place besides Cycle Therapy?, don't really want to head all the way uptown.
jimmycorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #16392
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Sckill just recently introduced me to Union Garage. Not a huge store but they have some great stuff and their prices are competitive. The owner Chris is a really cool guy too. For me it's great as I live a 10 min walk away from the place. Where do you live in Brooklyn bud? I'm in Carrol gardens.
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #16393
jimmycorp
adventure lurker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
Sckill just recently introduced me to Union Garage. Not a huge store but they have some great stuff and their prices are competitive. The owner Chris is a really cool guy too. For me it's great as I live a 10 min walk away from the place. Where do you live in Brooklyn bud? I'm in Carrol gardens.
I'm in Midwood, so this is a hike, unless I go on weekends. Know any places in Manhattan?>
jimmycorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #16394
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycorp View Post
I'm in Midwood, so this is a hike, unless I go on weekends. Know any places in Manhattan?>
the motorcycle show at the javits center was your best chance. revzilla in philly is alright, best bet is to try other inmate's gear and buy online. or use the flea-market here on adv and buy cheap used gear.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #16395
Detale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycorp View Post
Carrol gardens is halfway between Midwood and the city man. I don't know of any places in the city anymore but

brooklynmoto.com‎ has some stuff I think

genuinemotorworks.com‎ had a small amount of stuff when I was there 2 summers ago.

Still, union garage was the best place I've been to in a long while man. It's worth the trip.
Detale is offline   Reply With Quote