ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #16471
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by a72_tlc View Post
I am hoping to ride through Manhattan, if anything for the experience of it. Not planning on really stopping anywhere, just riding through. It will most likely be a non-holiday weekday, just out of curiosity, how long does it usually take to ride the length of Manhattan Island on a normal day?
Off 95, take the 181st Street exit and take it East to Harlem River Drive, take Harlem River Dr./FDR Dr* and follow it down to Houston St. Go west to B-Way, take it up to the eighties and find a sign (left turn) for the Henry Hudson Parkway. You can take it up to the GW bridge and to NJ.

If get there before 10:00AM, you can take a right at 72nd street and ride through the southern end of Central Park. Exit on 5th Ave. down to 59th then right over to Columbus Circle and you're back on B-Way. Turn left on 72 this time and you'll get to the HH.

*Word of caution: FDR goes through a poorly lit tunnel somewhere about the 50's. Being as Murphy's Law was writ in NYC, that's also the section of FDR that has the most potholes and large cracks/pavement seams. It's a real bitch riding from bright sunlight into that tunnel wearing sunglasses. IIRC, the left lane is the smoothest and also closest to the sunlight coming in through the openings on the East River to the left.

Edit: just took a look at UXC's route. Between (68) take E Houston street and (76) Left on Broadway there are a boatload of great places to eat. In that neighborhood, but not on that route, is Bar Pitti at 268 6th Ave. one of my very favorite places to eat in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
You can ride down the length of Manhattan, and take the Holland Tunnel from lower Manhattan to Jersey City NJ, where you can pick up US 1 again.

A normal day in Manhattan? I don't think there is such a thing.

Depends on what street you're on. I f you go down, say, the length of Broadway, it will probably take more than an hour. If you take the Henry Hudson/West Side Hwy, it probably take less than 25 minutes.

On a Sunday morning I can hit HR Dr. from my apt. on 181st and Riverside, ride down to Battery Park and back up HH and be home in 25-30 minutes riding the speed limit. Mid-morning it takes close to an hour to ride HRD/FDR to one of my Docs office at 76 and Third Ave.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 04:17 AM
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #16472
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Hey all, does anyone know of a place like Ryder's Aley for cars? I just bought one and I need a place to install some NYC-appropriate accoutrements:

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #16473
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Pep Boys on 21st street in Queens, or one of the speed shops along Queens Blvd should be able to install that kind of stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #16474
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren20 View Post

I meant to say rag
you might want to do some basic checks looking at that. maybe compression and carb clean at a minimum. check jets. everyone knows old CB's are lame and cursed bikes.
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #16475
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
Hey all, does anyone know of a place like Ryder's Aley for cars? I just bought one and I need a place to install some NYC-appropriate accoutrements:

What truck is that for? You plan on installing a winch? Steel cable or rope?

Ok, looks like a Nissan front bumper.

TengaiJohn screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 06:19 AM
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #16476
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by uxc View Post
If you're comfortable with your bike and traffic, this is a scenic route:
http://www.tinyurl.com/nycroot

Not bad!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #16477
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,301
In case you ever wanted to know, from a NY Times article today on the NYPD commissioner's weekly report, here's the # of 2 wheeled police vehicles, and how the PD is, yes, tracking you:

"The department had 59 horses, 114 motorcycles and 941 scooters.

Its mobile license plate readers built a database of 16 million license plates, along with locations where the car was spotted"

Mobile license plate database? Have you ever heard of this before? I always figured they were using the E-ZPass data, but never knew this.

Hmm..... Big Brother is indeed watching.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #16478
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,075
Quote:
In case you ever wanted to know, from a NY Times article today on the NYPD commissioner's weekly report, here's the # of 2 wheeled police vehicles, and how the PD is, yes, tracking you:

Its mobile license plate readers built a database of 16 million license plates, along with locations where the car was spotted"

Mobile license plate database? Have you ever heard of this before? I always figured they were using the E-ZPass data, but never knew this.

Yeah it is these things

I believe they "hit" lapsed insurance, or registration, warrants or suspensions for the driver etc. Someone told me that it also shows past DUI convictions, and they then make up some probable cause to pull you over and see if you are drinking again.
Though not sure if the last part is true.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #16479
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Yeah it is these things

I believe they "hit" lapsed insurance, or registration, warrants or suspensions for the driver etc. Someone told me that it also shows past DUI convictions, and they then make up some probable cause to pull you over and see if you are drinking again.
Last year I was arrested by one of thосе ass holes with the scanner like this! Why? My license plate was NJ 20 day temporary and it was not in the NY system as a valid license plate! They got me for unregistered vehicle and criminal ticket was dismissed before court day! I love NY!!!!!!!!!! Thanks officer Malamed for your hospitality!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #16480
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
What truck is that for? You plan on installing a winch? Steel cable or rope?

Ok, looks like a Nissan front bumper.

I'm not looking for a place to install it and the rear bars, I'm looking for somewhere off the street I can do it myself.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #16481
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post

I'm not looking for a place to install it and the rear bars, I'm looking for somewhere off the street I can do it myself.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I didn't say I knew a place to install it, I was going to offer some assistance and a place to install it. Right now I have a truck I'm working on (replacing engine) but have some room in the driveway.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #16482
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

I know, lmychajluk did. I'll get I touch when I get back (if its still there when I get back). I'm waiting on a wire transfer and a car transport pickup before I can come home tomorrow. Thx for your offer

Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #16483
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Yeah it is these things

I understand the uses, what I don't understand, or like, is that they maintain a permanent data base of your whereabouts. That I find intrusive, and an invasion of privacy.

God help us if Kelly ever runs for higher office.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #16484
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,075
Quote:
I understand the uses, what I don't understand, or like, is that they maintain a permanent data base of your whereabouts. That I find intrusive, and an invasion of privacy.

God help us if Kelly ever runs for higher office.
With his VP Bratton
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #16485
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,963
Quote:

"All the better to tow you with, my dear!"

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote