ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #16801
dmkun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
welcome to the aslyum dmkun. where do you usually park in midtown? i work on lex and 54tth so i park over at 1st ave. i never wandered over to the other side to look at parking options on park.

no scoot today, snow's forecaster
Thank you - I work on 52nd and 7th, and park right across from the heartland brewery on 51st between 6th and 7th. I've spoken to the TEA a few times who patrols this area and he said that they dont care about the motorcycles or scooters around here... . I have also seen a few motorcycles parked on 50th between 6th and 7th, right across from Le Pain Quotidien.
dmkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #16802
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
I know they're a bit on the ugly side, but Hippo Hands go a long way towards keeping your hands warm. They work especially well with heated grips. A little pricey but worth it.

I'd be afraid my brakes would drag.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #16803
dmkun
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Dude said 3 weeks, they were putting up outside decals covering the windows (MotoGP bike popping a wheelie) and there was a dude painting the outside metal gate with a stencil. I then saw some dude pull up in a Ducati (I was parked in front and sticking my moto gear in the car) and he seemed like the owner.
hmm ok - Thanks! I be sure to stop by and check it out when it opens.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #16804
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal View Post
The Motochanic storefront in West New York is their "boutique" and doesn't stock all of the inventory they have on their website. If you see something online that you want to try on they can arrange it but otherwise you are limited to stock-on-hand in their slightly small storefront. They still have a pretty solid selection of high end pants, jackets, gloves, helmets, etc. from the likes of Dainese, Alpinestars, Rev'it...
True. But I discovered them after an exercise in futility of trying to get pants made by a Norwegian company from a UK retailer that fit. $100 in shipping down the shutter latter, I drove out and they they had a pair of Dainese Vintage Rally pants that fit. They didn't have the boots in stock but they got them there the next day. One plus about living in this area is that 99% of the European companies have their US importers within 50 miles of Newark.
A real plus over ordering online is that shipping is on their dime (although a trip there cost money, too.)
From what I saw. They have a really good selection of helmets, quite a few jackets, and some gloves ,boots, etc. Mostly road/sport focused, but like I said, they got the Alpinestars in the next day.

btw, I hipped them to Halvarssons. Hoping they can get a deal and it will be available stateside.
http://jofama.se/motorcycle_wear/products.php?lang=2&cid=2

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #16805
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Chain tool

Howdy--does anyone have a chain tool I might be able to borrow this week? I could scoop it up at the ear or pick it up in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn, and drop it off later in the week or next week at the Ear.

I'm putting a new 520 chain on me old boik this week and need something to mushroom the rivets. The old chain is embarrassingly worn.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #16806
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy--does anyone have a chain tool I might be able to borrow this week? I could scoop it up at the ear or pick it up in Manhattan or downtown Brooklyn, and drop it off later in the week or next week at the Ear.

I'm putting a new 520 chain on me old boik this week and need something to mushroom the rivets. The old chain is embarrassingly worn.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #16807
tpirocz
i do what i want

Oddometer: 228
whats street parking going to be like about 730 to 8pm on thursday...in the area of the holland tunnel. im fine with walking to get to my destination on hudson st. any recommendations would be great. ill be in a car not on a bike.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #16808
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirocz View Post
whats street parking going to be like about 730 to 8pm on thursday...in the area of the holland tunnel. im fine with walking to get to my destination on hudson st. any recommendations would be great. ill be in a car not on a bike.
Check Primospot.com for availability. I'd give 20-40 mins to find parking if you have a full sized car, but that's just a guess.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #16809
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Anyone hear about this?
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2179002...rges-sues-nypd
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #16810
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkun View Post
Thank you - I work on 52nd and 7th, and park right across from the heartland brewery on 51st between 6th and 7th. I've spoken to the TEA a few times who patrols this area and he said that they dont care about the motorcycles or scooters around here... . I have also seen a few motorcycles parked on 50th between 6th and 7th, right across from Le Pain Quotidien.

I parked my Vstrom there once thinking hey I see these bikes every day and no tickets are ever issued, why not? Well, 10 hours later the entire row had tickets, mine had 3 worth $250! I'm sure it isn't a big deal if you parked there for two months and no ticket, but I ain't parking there again

I talked to the guy who parks his Ninja in from of Quotidien, sometimes there is a Vespa there as well, and he hasn't gotten a ticket yet, I just have bad luck...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #16811
dmkun
Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I parked my Vstrom there once thinking hey I see these bikes every day and no tickets are ever issued, why not? Well, 10 hours later the entire row had tickets, mine had 3 worth $250! I'm sure it isn't a big deal if you parked there for two months and no ticket, but I ain't parking there again

I talked to the guy who parks his Ninja in from of Quotidien, sometimes there is a Vespa there as well, and he hasn't gotten a ticket yet, I just have bad luck...
How long ago was this when you got these tickets? Did you have a cover on your Vstrom and did you take the plate off?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #16812
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post

I'm assuming 2 out of the 3 tickets weren't parking tickets?
Since nobody else got tickets, you probably wouldn't have gotten any tickets either if the rest of the bike was legal.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #16813
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkun View Post
How long ago was this when you got these tickets? Did you have a cover on your Vstrom and did you take the plate off?
Do you really think you can't get a ticket if you have a cover on the bike and no plate?
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #16814
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,654
This was last August, no cover (nobody else had them either). The entire row got tickets (multiple) as I said. Illegal parking, removal of plate (just following what everyone was doing), and I can't remember the 3rd.

Hey, I realize I took my chances with the law, I just won't be taking them again.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #16815
dmkun
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Do you really think you can't get a ticket if you have a cover on the bike and no plate?
I didn't say that you can never get a ticket by doing just that, however it certainly does reduce your chances of getting a ticket most of the time from my experience.