ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #16936
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,406
Hey guys I have a question.

Friend of mine is looking at picking up a new BMW. We checked out cross country and will be taking a ride up to MAX in CT tomorrow.

My question is this, when you buy a new bike, from a dealer, do you pay tax on it at the dealer in the state where the dealer is? And do you pay that states tax rate or do you pay the tax rate of the state you reside in?

He is moving to NJ in a month or so so he is thinking of waiting.

I told him, that he would pay the tax rate of the state in which he lived and\or registered the bike. Not sure if that is correct for a bike newly purchased though.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #16937
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
whenever you visit the hinterlands with 1000 other riders, cops will look the other way on little stuff...why hurt the tourism industry that helps fund the department?

when you're alone...look out.
Maybe back then, but now there are checkpoints every 7 feet anywhere near Laconia bikeweek, Daytona bikeweek, Americade.

They will bust you and impound you for any stupid little thing. I haven't gone in the past couple years simply because of all the hassles I have heard of being going through.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #16938
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post

Friend of mine is looking at picking up a new BMW. We checked out cross country and will be taking a ride up to MAX in CT tomorrow.

My question is this, when you buy a new bike, from a dealer, do you pay tax on it at the dealer in the state where the dealer is? And do you pay that states tax rate or do you pay the tax rate of the state you reside in?

I told him, that he would pay the tax rate of the state in which he lived and\or registered the bike. Not sure if that is correct for a bike newly purchased though.

I bought a used bike in NJ last year from a dealer. I didn't pay tax there but at the NY DMV. Next time I'll ask the dealer nicely for a second receipt showing a cheaper sale, maybe I'll bring a 6 pack of my homebrew as incentive
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #16939
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,109
Wow what a deal.. face tax fraud charges for $4.00 worth of beer
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #16940
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

I always felt paying tax on a second hand item was just plain thievery. I mean, someone paid the tax on that vehicle when it was new, paying tax 2, 3, 4 times on the same item sounds like bull.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #16941
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:

This is how it has worked for me in the past:

If you buy out of state from a dealer they will make you pay their local sales tax.
You bring your receipts, MSO, etc to the NYS DMV and they give you credit for whatever tax you paid already. The 2 states work it out on their ends to get whatever money you paid.

Not sure how it goes if you buy something in a locality with a higher tax rate than your locality though. Lucky for us NYers that we have a high sales/use tax rate.

If you buy from a private party, no tax is collected until you show up at the NY DMV.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #16942
apriliacati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Parking in Manhattan

Would any of you guys know of a safe garage to park near the Javits Center?

I'm going to the Auto show Saturday, I'm a little paranoid about parking .

Thanks in advance.
apriliacati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #16943
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,413
Quote:
I always felt paying tax on a second hand item was just plain thievery. I mean, someone paid the tax on that vehicle when it was new, paying tax 2, 3, 4 times on the same item sounds like bull.
Doesn't seem fair, but most states do it. Recently moved to CT where in addition to that, your town then charges you personal property tax every year on the value of each car, bike, trailer, etc. you own. Now that well and truly sucks!

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #16944
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Pissed

woke up to a call that someone hit my bike this morning.

hearsay says he was making a left onto my street, tried to take the outside line to go around a truck, clipped me. i got really lucky because there is a traffic enforcement lady stationed on my corner (ok well not lucky, traffic enforcement is a joke but it worked out here) and he had to pick up someone from my building.

word onthe street was that he tried to get the kid he was picking up into his car and GTFO.

only damage is a turn signal so i got 30 bucks and now i'm here. forks, wheel, tree and frame look good/straight minus preexisting conditions.

just a friendly reminder to remember where you park you FF's
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #16945
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
woke up to a call that someone hit my bike this morning. ....

only damage is a turn signal so i got 30 bucks and now i'm here. forks, wheel, tree and frame look good/straight minus preexisting conditions.

You should have suggested that instead of him giving you $30, you get to punch him in his "can't-turn-the-fucking-corner" face.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #16946
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Happy to see that the guy had to stay to answer for his stupidity. You lucked out on this one.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #16947
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,116
Agreed that it is good that he got forced to stay. The problem is I am a dick and would have made him pay a bit more for "punitive damages" and failure to know how to drive. A cool $100 would have done it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #16948
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Got a ratty little bike we could use to learn on?

Does anyone here (besides Thomas ) have a ratty bike that my best friend's two son and daughter could use to learn to ride before we go to American Supercamp next weekend? I talked him into getting them this class for a Christmas present (his daughter loves motorcycles but hasn't had the chance to ride one yet), but they don't know basic clutch control skills and the class is fast approaching!

They're really sweet kids, 12 and 15 years old, the smallest one is 5'2" and 95 pounds. They're both great athletes (Stuyvessant wrestling team, then some other school track, basketball, etc.) and are respectful. They've ridden mopeds and mountain bikes, so the main goal here is to get them used to using a clutch and the basic control layout of a motorcycle.

We're just looking for something small (like an xr100) to use at floyd bennett field for an afternoon.

Also, I know it's a hassle, so there would be some definite monetary compensation. Something like $100 (or more if necessary), some beer, plus any repairs. Plust my eternal gratitude. This would be so helpful.

I'm really hoping this works, this is our last weekend!

Please PM me for more details--we can speak on the phone about it if you like.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #16949
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Question: How old does a NYC resident have to be to get a motorcycle learners permit? A motorcycle license?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #16950
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Question: How old does a NYC resident have to be to get a motorcycle learners permit? A motorcycle license?
16 for a permit. There's graduated licensing now, so there's an "MJ" and "limited" MJ ... http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#drivingage

Basically, 16 to learn with someone 21+, 17 to ride with restrictions (daytime, to/from school & work), and 18 for a full license.
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote