ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #16996
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
I suspect many of you know, but the majority does not...I found out a few weeks ago. If you are due money from a company and they are unable to reach you, the owed amount is put on a state registry where you can go an claim it. This can be for cable bill refunds, tax returns, dividends, etc.

Someone told me about it and sure enough I had some taxes from a few years ago due me. A week after filling out the online form I received a check from NY for $400!!

I encourage all of you to go here, I guarantee either you or someone you know is due money. Try family members, maiden names, and other states besides NY as well. Here it is, let me know how much money you guys get!!

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/
Hey, I tried this website when I saw this post, and I got a check from T-Mobile yesterday for $50!
Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #16997
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy,

My girlfriend just got her motorcycle license and is looking for a bike.

Should be ~$1000, preferably more like $600 and needing a carb clean / battery type deal.

She's 5'2", so a Honda CB360-sized bike would be ideal.

Honda CB-style 350s-450s is probably going to be the best, unless you guys know of another sweet beginning bike for someone short.

Thanks!
CL has a few CBs for sale but expensive. Also try YAHBO (inmate) on Long Island. Don't know if he will get back to you or not, I had asked him about a bike for my daughter and he never responded.... but you never know.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #16998
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,149
CB's
http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/3735517650.html
http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/3736428159.html
http://binghamton.craigslist.org/mcy/3718907443.html
You just need to get out of the city and there are plenty of sub $1000 CB's out there.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #16999
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
+1 on the CL recommendation. The CM's from slightly later (CM400 and CM450) are also good to look at - the lines may not be as classic but they're solid bikes with good parts availability and support. E-start too, which may be a factor. I've seen them in NE for sub-$1000, you just need to keep looking and if it isn't good walk away.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #17000
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy,

My girlfriend just got her motorcycle license and is looking for a bike.

Should be ~$1000, preferably more like $600 and needing a carb clean / battery type deal.

She's 5'2", so a Honda CB360-sized bike would be ideal.

Honda CB-style 350s-450s is probably going to be the best, unless you guys know of another sweet beginning bike for someone short.

Thanks!
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/3717668687.html
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #17001
hart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
tickets in Manhattan

Unreal... Ive been parking in the afternoon off and on on Broadway between 38 and 39. Usually i get there at about 2 pm in the afternoon take the plate off and go to my office for a couple of hours. Never had a problem until... some ahole parking person writes me tickets for no parking and no plate. He found my vehicle ID # and wrote them that way.... $180 bucks... Can anyone suggest a defence or method to either reduce or dismiss these tickets... It seems so crazy that two wheelers need to deal with this shit and that the city does not encourage us to use motorized bikes/scooters etc by at least letting us park somewhere....
hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #17002
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart View Post
Unreal... Ive been parking in the afternoon off and on on Broadway between 38 and 39. Usually i get there at about 2 pm in the afternoon take the plate off and go to my office for a couple of hours. Never had a problem until... some ahole parking person writes me tickets for no parking and no plate. He found my vehicle ID # and wrote them that way.... $180 bucks... Can anyone suggest a defence or method to either reduce or dismiss these tickets... It seems so crazy that two wheelers need to deal with this shit and that the city does not encourage us to use motorized bikes/scooters etc by at least letting us park somewhere....
You're not going to find much sympathy here. Tickets and/or towing for pulling the plates is a known risk. I've done it before too, but no longer need to now with free legal parking near my job.

Check the VIN and everything else on the ticket to see if it's written out correctly. I have gotten out of a parking ticket before due to sloppy handwriting.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #17003
hart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
livin in the city

I know... still sucks and pisses me off. The tickets are machine generated no handwriting.... anyone know a service that can help?
hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #17004
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
I know... still sucks and pisses me off. The tickets are machine generated no handwriting.... anyone know a service that can help?
I'm sympathetic. It's senseless.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #17005
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,517
Quote:
Google. Search on required elements and make sure what is there is accurate. Beyond that you're probably shit outta luck. Seriously if you think you'll beat the ticket on it missing an expiration date because you pulled your plate, you're wrong. Some folks on the NYC Scooter Club forum have reported varying degrees of success just ignoring VIN -based tickets. I would call that more of a ticking time bomb.

I agree this shi, er, city should do more to encourage scooter and motorcycle use. OTOH you did break two laws. You're actually lucky the bike didn't get towed or worse yet, picked up by sanitation as a derelict vehicle.

Truth is we typically get off pretty easy here. Most of the ticket agents are, shall we say, a bit "ghetto" and like bikes, and tend to ignore them as a result.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #17006
cantseejack
woop woop

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a defence or method to either reduce or dismiss these tickets... It seems so crazy that two wheelers need to deal with this shit and that the city does not encourage us to use motorized bikes/scooters etc by at least letting us park somewhere....
Like others have said, pulling your plate is a known risk. I do it fairly often and I know eventually I'll get hit again. If there is legal, metered or free parking, I will usually park there.

Usually, the meter maids that go out of their way to look for your VIN will issue two or three at once (illegal parking, no plate, maybe expired tags or something for good measure) and it instantly becomes a $200+ affair. If they find your VIN and see that you have unpaid tickets, your bike is very likely to be towed.

Be careful out there.
cantseejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #17007
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Hey, I tried this website when I saw this post, and I got a check from T-Mobile yesterday for $50!
Thanks!
Excellent, I've helped out at least a dozen people, I should really start a thread.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #17008
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Whatcha need picked up?
Boring shit. BMW interior cleaner, maybe a pair of winter gloves if the price is right.

Mostly just shopping. (I do need the interior cleaners, though.)

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #17009
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Excellent, I've helped out at least a dozen people, I should really start a thread.
My ex stumbled on an unpaid funds website a few years ago and told me my name was listed, but she couldn't access it because she didn't know my SS#. I got on it and it turned out that $50 I had left in a BofA account in California when I moved in 1973 had grown into $2100 or something. (Remember when banks actually paid INTEREST???)
Also had a security deposit from the electric company in SLC that was $80 or $90 and a Utah State Tax refund for around $300.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #17010
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
what inmate, especially one who spends a lot of time in the basement, owns a smartcar. honestly, i expect more out of you high post count FF's
Dontcha be bad-mouthing the econobox of the apocalypse* now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155240

The Remus and the re-map turned out better than I'd hoped. Me today driving around in the rain=

*When I decided on a micro car for the city, I'd have preferred a 1275 Cooper S, but having grown up on them, realized that I had neither the time, space, or inclination to work on them as much as they require to keep them on the road. The Smart is the closest modern equivalent. And WTF? I like it.