ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #17011
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart View Post
Unreal... Ive been parking in the afternoon off and on on Broadway between 38 and 39. Usually i get there at about 2 pm in the afternoon take the plate off and go to my office for a couple of hours. Never had a problem until... some ahole parking person writes me tickets for no parking and no plate. He found my vehicle ID # and wrote them that way.... $180 bucks... Can anyone suggest a defence or method to either reduce or dismiss these tickets... It seems so crazy that two wheelers need to deal with this shit and that the city does not encourage us to use motorized bikes/scooters etc by at least letting us park somewhere....
As I posted about 20 pages back, I had it straight from the mouth of a traffic enforcement officer that NO ONE would bother looking for a VIN on a bike with a cover on it. The only ticket I've ever received I had my plate on and cover off. (I got out of it, because I actually HAD a metropark receipt, I just kept it on my person instead of putting it on the bike and risk having it taken or blown off.)

But I feel your pain. I live on Plaza Lafayette at the end of 181st Street. Since they took this picture

They've painted white diagonal no parking stripes around the end of the plaza and both directions of the east end. The other day I parked my car with about 1 foot of the drivers rear corner over the edge of the stripe (where the white car with the sunroof closest to Riverside Dr. is) and got a $115 "No Standing Anytime" ticket. If I hadn't been in a hurry when I discovered it, I'd have taken a date/time stamped picture (15 min after the ticket was written it) and tried to fight it. I've got nothing better to do.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #17012
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Oil and oil filters disposal

Where do you guys dispose of your oil and oil filters? Are gas stations obligated to take it from you or do you need to bring it somewhere specific?
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #17013
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 867
ESPRider, hipnotik, et al,

Check this thread I started in Oilheads, page 3, for the latest. I finally got the bolt out, but the flange has cracks in 2 of the mounting tabs.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #17014
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
I'm pretty sure any place that sells oil has to accept oil. If you have an auto zone or something along those lines they are the easiest to deal with. Individual shops can be a little cunty sometimes

Sent from my Android
Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #17015
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,953
They wont accept filters. Either drain it and toss it or take it all to a household special waste place

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless...motoroil.shtml
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #17016
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
As I posted about 20 pages back, I had it straight from the mouth of a traffic enforcement officer that NO ONE would bother looking for a VIN on a bike with a cover on it. .
until the local precinct decides to sweep through all the covered bikes in the neighborhood...they will pull the cover and FIND the vin.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #17017
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
until the local precinct decides to sweep through all the covered bikes in the neighborhood...they will pull the cover and FIND the vin.
Has this ever happened IRL?

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #17018
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825
Quote:
Has this ever happened IRL?
Several times. They'll find the VINs while they're loading them onto flatbed trucks to cart them away.

The folks on the NY Scooter Club forum were thinking about starting a Twitter thing to warn scooter riders when the tow trucks arrive because the mass towing has happened that many times.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #17019
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
Where do you guys dispose of your oil and oil filters? Are gas stations obligated to take it from you or do you need to bring it somewhere specific?

It depends what weight it is, if it's regular or synthetic, and if it's for an air cooled engine or water cooled.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #17020
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy,

My girlfriend just got her motorcycle license and is looking for a bike.

Should be ~$1000, preferably more like $600 and needing a carb clean / battery type deal.

She's 5'2", so a Honda CB360-sized bike would be ideal.

Honda CB-style 350s-450s is probably going to be the best, unless you guys know of another sweet beginning bike for someone short.

Thanks!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...ht_1503wt_1013
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #17021
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
I had it straight from the mouth of a traffic enforcement officer that NO ONE would bother looking for a VIN on a bike with a cover on it.
One person telling you what 20,000 other people would or would not bother to do doesn't mean much. If they're lazy they won't bother, or if they are told to do so then they would.

Or they could be bullshitting you, like the 2 officers who said it would be ok if I parked here for 5 minutes so I could take my mother up to the doctor, only to come back down 3 minutes later with the car gone and towed.....

One thing I did with cars was take a pencil and screw up the bar code on the reg, this way the scanner would not read it, I always amused myself watching meter maids trying to scan it 10 times before giving up in frustration, they would NEVER sit there and type out the vin by hand.

Lazyness prevails.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #17022
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
That was great yesterday well done to all involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Hey Folks! Update on the NYMSTF Gearswap Party this sunday:

To manage your stuff, we'll have a simple form to fill out. It's available here if you want to fill it our before you get to the event!
Link: http://forum.nymstf.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=422
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #17023
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 946
Thanks! Glad you had a good time.

Turnout was about 50-70, though we didn't really keep count.

About $800-$900 of very reasonably priced and good condition gear changed hands! Some highlights included brand new helmets, and for example, a Revit 3-layer jacket used for a few weeks that went for $50.

All in all, some folks with too much gear unloaded, and more importantly, new riders in our community picked up some much needed items they could afford. More gear out on the road protecting riders, instead of living in closets!

For those of you that went, suggestions? Should we do another one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
That was great yesterday well done to all involved
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #17024
abenormal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Thanks! Glad you had a good time.
For those of you that went, suggestions? Should we do another one?
I would go to another one. One suggestion would be to have some kind of lights in the sales area...
abenormal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #17025
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825

This was posted on the NY Scooter Club forum. Nice reminder as the 2013 riding season gets into full swing, how many ways things can go terribly wrong.

That, and not to make moto-tourism plans in Russia anytime soon. ;-)

Ride safe,
-Brad