ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #17281
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I detest these motorcycle -only checkpoints. That is why I set up the alert system. Unfortunately a huge number of motorcyclists who insist on riding "dirty", i.e. no motorcycle endorsement, no insurance, no registration, no inspection, etc. are directly to blame. That is why we urge everyone to get legal. Get legal and remove the incentive for police to stop us. It won't be worth their time and money if we categorically are not such a ripe revenue opportunity.

The last time I was stopped - and I have been stopped here many times - the HWY cop politely informed me that I was stopped for an inspection. It was the day of the Dominican Day Parade so I really did think it was because I might have been Dominican. I told the cop I was very grateful for the offer to inspect my bike because my sticker was almost expired and it will save me a trip to the shop. He was not amused when I asked him for the replacement sticker.

I have been wanting to stage a checkpoint ride-in. Perhaps this will be the year. Next checkpoint I want dozens or if possible hundreds of perfectly 100% legal motorcycle and scooter riders to just rotate in circles through the checkpoint and keep coming back for more. After each inspection please make sure to express your most heart-felt gratitude to the officers for working so hard to ensure our safety. While you are there, be sure to count the number of car and truck drivers with one hand holding a cellphone to the side of their head as they pass. Let the cops know the count before you leave. If you are asked why you keep coming back just tell them the more times you go through, the safer you feel. Feel free to pour on the sarcasm enough to make sure it's noted.
count me in!!!

Half the bikes on ____ St have an expired registration. One of the guys told me he didn't even have his license yet and I offered to go with him to get his license, it's been over a year and he still doesn't have his license. Screw all the guys who ride illegaly, they are just screwing it up for us legal riders.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #17282
kingnba6
R1der

Oddometer: 112
i agree 100% on the fact that illegal bikers make legit bikers like us look bad. i get stopped like at least once a week simply because im on a sportsbike. everything is up to date with me but its always a damn hassle of stopping and wasting 5-10 mins on bs.

the circling around part on the next check point is a nice idea. ill bring my little 50cc scoot and keep on coming back and fourth. how illegal can that be?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #17283
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
i agree 100% on the fact that illegal bikers make legit bikers like us look bad. i get stopped like at least once a week simply because im on a sportsbike. everything is up to date with me but its always a damn hassle of stopping and wasting 5-10 mins on bs.

the circling around part on the next check point is a nice idea. ill bring my little 50cc scoot and keep on coming back and fourth. how illegal can that be?
Good idea, I'll bring my daughters mopeds..just make sure there are no hills, I can't peddle as hard as I used to...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #17284
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,664
Local Ohioan checking in here. I saw an ADV sticker on my way to city hall for work at Church and Chambers. I gather from browsing the thread that riding in for my next contract job might be a bad idea. Are there any places close to a subway or train station to recommend for safe storage outside the danger zone. I'm usually here for 3-5 days at a time, but I've yet to find a short term place. Sorry if its been I covered in the thread. I didn't find any short term mention, but the tapatalk search sucks.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #17285
kingnba6
R1der

Oddometer: 112
lol. my 50cc zuma struggles on hills. but with a 215 lb person on it, im sure it will. its from 2002. god damn its old. but still starts up like a champ even tho i havent replaced anything other than brakes.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #17286
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
lol. my 50cc zuma struggles on hills. but with a 215 lb person on it, im sure it will. its from 2002. god damn its old. but still starts up like a champ even tho i havent replaced anything other than brakes.
OLD??? I have a 79 and 80 Puch, now that's old
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #17287
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
Local Ohioan checking in here. I saw an ADV sticker on my way to city hall for work at Church and Chambers. I gather from browsing the thread that riding in for my next contract job might be a bad idea. Are there any places close to a subway or train station to recommend for safe storage outside the danger zone. I'm usually here for 3-5 days at a time, but I've yet to find a short term place. Sorry if its been I covered in the thread. I didn't find any short term mention, but the tapatalk search sucks.
Welcome!

You can park at the end of Chambers in BPC or one train stop from Chambers. PM me your hours and days you plan on coming in and I'll tell you where you can park safely during the day.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #17288
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Welcome!

You can park at the end of Chambers in BPC or one train stop from Chambers. PM me your hours and days you plan on coming in and I'll tell you where you can park safely during the day.
Thanks. I was actually looking for a place to store it for the duration of my stay, but I'll get in touch if I end up riding in. It will depend on the weather.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #17289
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
This is why I advocate having a gopro or similar device. So jerkoff-icers are forced to be proper and you have some proof against them when you file.

Sorry about your experience.
Fixed it for you.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #17290
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Screw all the guys who ride illegaly, they are just screwing it up for us legal riders.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #17291
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
If you're giving it away, I'll take it.
Sandy seconds on that.
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #17292
Skuli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
They are out looking...

Two weeks ago early on a Saturday morning, I stopped to get gas on Atlantic and Henry. I pulled out onto Atlantic and the car in front of me slowed to parallel park so I signaled and pulled into the left lane and then quickly (signaled) and returned to the right lane so I could turn right on Court Street. I signaled and did so, rode a block or two, then signaled to change lanes to pass a slow moving SUV and then, Woop woop. I look back and see an unmarked car speed up behind me.

I signaled and pulled over and when the officer walked to me I first asked politely if I could step off the bike and then I asked him what the problem was. He informed me that I did not signal when pulling back into the right lane after I passed the car that was parking. I explained that I'm sure I did just like I did when turning onto Court, passing the SUV and pulling over for him.

He then told me they were out "enforcing motorcycles" (whatever the hell that means) and that he needed my paperwork, which is up to date. He went back to his car and during that time, I counted 2 cars that pulled out from parking spots without signaling, a car passing without signaling and 3 cars making a left turn without signaling. He came back with a ticket and when I told him what I had witnessed while he was writing the ticket and how much I believe it signaling your intentions he just said to me "what I am suppose to do about it?", turned, got in his car and drove off.

Clearly, they don't give a shit and are simply trying to meet a quota. I should fight this, but I don't have the time to do so. "They" know this, hence the reason they stop us and find something extremely questionable to get you for.

-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arZan View Post
Just got stopped at a MC specific checkpoint at the Manhattan end of the Manhattan Bridge.

Officer Kempinski (#26844) jumped into the HOV lane and stopped the car in front of me. Only when I came to a complete halt, did he allow the car to go and pulled me aside.

Stated that its a MC specific checkpoint. I told him that I thought those were illegal and he flipped out. Turned on his asshole quotient.

Asked me for the papers. I gave insurance and license and was searching for the reg. Told him that I did have it somewhere because I also had the 14 sticker. Well the man was impatient so started writing a ticket. I did find the paper registration, but by then it was too late.

I asked if I can mail a copy in with the ticket, and he said no, he would make sure that I need to show up in court. At that point I told him in very polite terms that he was being a jerk !.

Of course that hurt his ego even more and so he starts checking all the lights and indicators and the horn etc etc.

Finally writes the violation for no registration and I leave.

Oh well !!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #17293
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 880
Tickets for not signaling? The longer I live in NYC, the less I like it. With all the crazy shit drivers/riders are doing, I can't believe you got a ticket for that.
It's stuff like this that makes me dislike cops. (I don't hate cops as a rule, but pettiness really bugs me when there is most likely a real crime happening somewhere nearby.)
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #17294
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Tickets for not signaling? The longer I live in NYC, the less I like it. With all the crazy shit drivers/riders are doing, I can't believe you got a ticket for that.
It's stuff like this that makes me dislike cops. (I don't hate cops as a rule, but pettiness really bugs me when there is most likely a real crime happening somewhere nearby.)

The OP did NOT get a ticket for NOT signalling. He got a ticket for using his signals. Also, he got a ticket for stopping, like a good citizen.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #17295
FootDoc
Gas it

Oddometer: 102
From my best friend (A cop):
Its open season on bikes.

Bikes are specifically mentioned during roll call.

All these assholes on Dirtbikes and Quads running around is bringing the heat down on the legit guy who actually stops.

Why? So when people question what is being done about these hooligans the NYPD can respond " The amount of tickets issued to motorcyclists has gone up _% from last year, look what a great job we are doing."
FootDoc is offline   Reply With Quote