ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #17341
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
i'm itching for maybe a new bike.

(i'm speaking softly because i don't want my present ride-the wonderful 2006 kawasaki z750s to hear. bad karma)

does anyone know anyone who knows anyone who might know anyone who rides a:

kawasaki zzr1200

i am looking for real rider reviews.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #17342
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
They need to add an extra 10 feet to the CITI Bike spaces coming out under 59th st, just for motorcycle parking.

When I first saw the square paint all over the village streets I got all excited, until a few days later they delivered the bike racks.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #17343
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMantis View Post
Question just got my ez-pass where do you guys put it? Will it work in my tankbag, backpack, or pocket?
Put it on the inside of your windscreen as if mounting it on the inside of a car windshield (assuming your bike has a windscreen).

FYI I've been doing this on 3 different bikes for the past 6 years and not once has anyone ever stolen the E-ZPass tag from the windshield when the bike was parked on the street. YMMV.

On my W650 which doesn't have a windscreen, I found a nifty E-ZPass tag holder somewhere on the internet that mounts to a RAM ball. Works great.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #17344
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Put it on the inside of your windscreen as if mounting it on the inside of a car windshield (assuming your bike has a windscreen).

FYI I've been doing this on 3 different bikes for the past 6 years and not once has anyone ever stolen the E-ZPass tag from the windshield when the bike was parked on the street. YMMV.

On my W650 which doesn't have a windscreen, I found a nifty E-ZPass tag holder somewhere on the internet that mounts to a RAM ball. Works great.
+1. I thought about the possibility of someone stealing the transponder too, so I taped off the small bar code/info section on the tag with painter's tape, and gave the rest of it a coat of rattle-can flat black. It makes it a lot less noticeable behind my bike's windscreen, and doesn't affect the function of the tag at all -- still works perfectly every time.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #17345
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
+1. I thought about the possibility of someone stealing the transponder too, so I taped off the small bar code/info section on the tag with painter's tape, and gave the rest of it a coat of rattle-can flat black. It makes it a lot less noticeable behind my bike's windscreen, and doesn't affect the function of the tag at all -- still works perfectly every time.
I may try that with some Plasti-dip, with the thought that I might be able to peel it off if EZPass ever wants the tag back...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #17346
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I may try that with some Plasti-dip, with the thought that I might be able to peel it off if EZPass ever wants the tag back...
I would have done Plasti-dip too for that same reason, but I'm just a badass motherf#cker who lives on the edge. That, plus I had an old can of spray paint I was trying to use up!

Fibzzz screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 02:58 PM Reason: salty language censored for the children
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #17347
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
For whatever reason, I got a letter this spring asking for one of my car ez-passes back. No explanation. They sent a replacement and a return envelope. PITA cause the car was in PA and they wanted it returned within like 7 days.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #17348
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
Different subject. I am new to NY and have been looking for apartments for a few weeks. Doing the usual craigslist search stuff and not getting much in replies, maybe there a lot of scam listings. Anyone have other sources that are good for apt hunting?

Ideally I'm looking to sublet a room for the Summer on the north side of Manhattan - Harlem/Morningside/Columbia, Upper West, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You might check Airbnb. I met a couple yesterday who have been renting a Brooklyn apt. found using that site.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #17349
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Article in the Times on a Brooklyn scooter shop. Says there are several other motorcycle related businesses on the block.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Followed the link within that article to read about the growing rider community in Brooklyn.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #17350
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
You're not saying what kind of problems exactly. If the messages you get at the tolls make you think it's an accounting problem, set your account to use a credit card. Yes there will be a little float. Get over it. Or go get a shack in Montana and finish your manifesto.

As for folks having questions about mounting and positioning for reliable E-Z Pass usage, what you all have to bear in mind is that the E-Z Pass is a radio transponder with a directional antenna talking to a transceiver with polarized beam antenna. The overhead transmitter sends a signal to the transponder and the transponder sends a signal back. Because of the proximity of adjacent toll lanes these things need to be finicky about radio signal directionality.

Look at how the thing is oriented when you follow the directions to mount one in a car's windshield. The closer you can come to doing that, the better off you will be. The side with the adhesive strips should be up and/or forward and the top edge should be on top or facing you.

If you have the E-Z Pass inside or behind something, bear in mind that not all materials (including yourself) are equally transparent to 900 MHz radio waves and we're talking about very low signal strengths to begin with.

Another weird thing that most folks without an RF electronics background would never imagine, is that proximity of metals and even some non-metals behind the tag (not between the tag and the overhead antenna) can also affect how the antenna operates.
I don't have to be a radical extremist to prefer not having a company profiting simply by having my money in their acct. I pay cash when I can for the same reason. Doesn't add up to much for me alone, but collectively it can have an impact.

Back to EZ Pass: I do have my Pass acct. hooked up to my bank acct. (It currently has $40 in the acct - don't know why it can't be drawn from the acct in real time, like when buying anything else.) Last time out of the city I made it up to the Catskills (through 3 tolls?) and when exiting the sign said to contact EZ Pass. I called them when I got home and they said nothing appeared to be wrong, but they sent another pass anyway.

Chickenstrip screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 05:19 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17351
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
I don't have to be a radical extremist to prefer not having a company profiting simply by having my money in their acct. I pay cash when I can for the same reason. Doesn't add up to much for me alone, but collectively it can have an impact.

Back to EZ Pass: I do have my Pass acct. hooked up to my bank acct. (It currently has $40 in the acct - don't know why it can't be drawn from the acct in real time, like when buying anything else.) Last time out of the city I made it up to the Catskills (through 3 tolls?) and when exiting the sign said to contact EZ Pass. I called them when I got home and they said nothing appeared to be wrong, but they sent another pass anyway.
Do they not float a certain amount of money whether you use a bank account or a credit card?

Them sending you a replacement pass tells me it may not have been an accounting issue. But they're so fucked up that anything is possible.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #17352
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Do they not float a certain amount of money whether you use a bank account or a credit card?

Them sending you a replacement pass tells me it may not have been an accounting issue. But they're so fucked up that anything is possible.
Batteries. They get old.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #17353
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Batteries. They get old.
That's the company line. The new ones have mics and radio transmitters in them. They send them to those they want to "watch"
I read about it on Facebook so it has to be true.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #17354
CMantis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
Why not just remove it when not on the bike? It comes with velcro and thats what I did (unless I forget)
CMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #17355
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
That's the company line. The new ones have mics and radio transmitters in them. They send them to those they want to "watch"
I read about it on Facebook so it has to be true.

Big Brother has it ‘E-Z’: City now tracking cars through local streets thanks to E-ZPass

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories..._05_10_bk.html