ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #1726
AJ2
Master of the Universe

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
i've been getting away with a lot, riding the way i always do, getting pulled over for rolling stops and speeding and never getting cited. but today was my day.

on w. 30th st between 8th and 9th there was a marked car parked and officers scanning up the road from the sidewalk. they got me for lane splitting and having my plate affixed with velcro. if i'm reading the ticket correctly it's $90 for each of them. $180.

then, parked on 8th avenue, i got cited for an expired meter. the scooter parked next to me, with its' plate removed, did not get cited. $65.

so has anyone fought a lane splitting ticket or it a lost cause?

total for the day and i haven't ridden home: $245.

First off - how is everyone? I'm back riding after 2 yrs off following a minor accident, followed by job change taking up too much of my time.

To your question - about 2 years ago, I contested a lane splitting ticket and won. I was going West on E. 96th St. and got to a red light at Madison Ave. There's three lanes there, more or less, and one car that was going to make a right was straddling the right 2 lanes. I rolled up past a couple of cars into the middle lane, and kept going along 96th street and was pulled over by a cop who apparently had a lot of free time, and written up for improper passing or the like(I don't recall exactly). In court, the officer hammed it up a bit and described me driving at excessive speed between cars, etc., etc.
I started my explanation by saying "As I approached the red light..." at which point the judge cut me off.

Judge: "You're saying it was a red light and no cars moving?"
Me: "Yes, Ma'am"
Judge: "Officer, is this correct?"
Cop: "Yes" (grudgingly)
Judge: "Then what harm was caused by this act? I'm dismissing this. Thank you"

So, legally, I didn't have much to stand on, but it worked out. On the other hand, between the ticket and the case, I had my little get-off which was somewhat caused by that ticket.
Again on 96th Street, but going west on my home, I stayed behind a line of cars at a red light. When the light changed and we went through, a car at the shoulder didn't see me and pulled a really agressive U-turn after the last car went past, and I hit the driver side door. But I digress...
Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #1727
SPEEZ
Confused Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
NJ Turnpike Lane Splitting...

Hey Everyone,
Be careful on the NJ Turnpike at the 287 to 95 ramp toward the city. There is a Trooper sitting just past the on ramp ticketing for cutting in at the solid line. The GS made a klanking sound at the boot where the drive shaft meets the transmission. I had to call roadside to pick up the bike in Joisy and deliver it to BMW of Manhattan. Witnessed the Trooper in action first hand. Anyway, roadside was great, he came at exactly the time specified and dropped me off at my front door. Sucks no bike for a while , I'm waiting for a diagnosis.

John
SPEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #1728
AJ2
Master of the Universe

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me where there's alternate side parking in midtown (btwn 34th and 42nd)? I park in Tudor City, but it can fill up pretty easily some days and I need a back up.

Thanks!
AJ
Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #1729
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Thumb FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air FS

Anyone here interested in a "like new" FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air, Size M. Blue/Black?

I've only used this jacket a couple of times last fall/winter. No rain or salt spray exposure. It's very cosy with the liner in and really a nice overall jacket. I also upgraded to the hard armor for the shoulders and elbows. It's a bit big for a medium, I didn't use it because I really needed a small and with the insulated, waterproof liner removed it was really a size too big for me. When worn over a pressure suit, or a MX chest protector it fit perfectly.

Link to what a new one looks like http://tinyurl.com/3akmsu

Looks like new, I added a 6" strip of SOLAS under the left front pocket and another on the back just under the collar

Come pick it up in Astoria for $120 or equivalent in GOOD beer

- PM if any interest.

Karl
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #1730
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Hey Karl, try putting that in the flea market, thats a good price I also have two brand new Kilimanjaro II jackets in the flea market right now. Lots of PMs and emails but apparantly everyone just talks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
Anyone here interested in a "like new" FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air, Size M. Blue/Black?

I've only used this jacket a couple of times last fall/winter. No rain or salt spray exposure. It's very cosy with the liner in and really a nice overall jacket. I also upgraded to the hard armor for the shoulders and elbows. It's a bit big for a medium, I didn't use it because I really needed a small and with the insulated, waterproof liner removed it was really a size too big for me. When worn over a pressure suit, or a MX chest protector it fit perfectly.

Link to what a new one looks like http://tinyurl.com/3akmsu

Looks like new, I added a 6" strip of SOLAS under the left front pocket and another on the back just under the collar

Come pick it up in Astoria for $120 or equivalent in GOOD beer

- PM if any interest.

Karl
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #1731
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Hey Karl, try putting that in the flea market, thats a good price I also have two brand new Kilimanjaro II jackets in the flea market right now. Lots of PMs and emails but apparantly everyone just talks.

That'll be my next stop,,,just wanted to offer it up to any of you local FF first. Plus it's nicer to just hand stuff over face to face than wasting time at the PO.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #1732
blujay
blujay

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2
Hey all,

Can anyone tell me where there's alternate side parking in midtown (btwn 34th and 42nd)? I park in Tudor City, but it can fill up pretty easily some days and I need a back up.

Thanks!
AJ
Hey AJ, Try this link. http://primospot.com/spots/search
Regards,
Blujay
blujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 AM   #1733
SPEEZ
Confused Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay
Regards,
Blujay
Speaking of parking in Manhattan, does anyone have any info on parking gararges in the city that take bikes? John

9 months trying to get out, the rest of your life trying to get back in. - George Carlin
SPEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #1734
AJ2
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay
Regards,
Blujay
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks much!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #1735
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks much!
Hey AJ, good to see you back again.

I just checked out that site, it's cool, but deceiving. It shows parking up to 4 days around my block, but that's only from Friday at 12:30pm to Tues 11am. (Wknd only really).
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #1736
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,450
Hey guys,
I hope I can be forgiven for the post-whoring, but I am selling my GS and thought I'd mention it in here in case any of Y(local)FF's are interested.

Here's the post over in the Flea Market
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:48 PM   #1737
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
SJB...no more GS??? what happened???

how many of YFFs will be around during the Marathon?

i get up there fri night and leave monday morn...will be having a few meals and checkin out the race...hope u guys can come out!

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:17 AM   #1738
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
SJB...no more GS??? what happened???
What happened is that the 2-year itch is a very real phenomenon and there are too many good bikes out there...that and I rode a Tiger

I found it to be much more comfortable for me right out of the box plus that triple is sweet. That coupled with the realization that I don't and probably never will do any real off-roading with the GS helped finalize the decision.

They're both great all-around bikes but it seems that the Tiger fits both me and my riding style better than the GS does.

While I was at the dealer I happened to sit on a Ducati Multistrada, that was actually very comfortable in terms of riding position and seat height. I don't think I can get over the ugly though otherwise it might have been a contender.

BTW thanks for your endorsements over in the flea market bostonsr & perry.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM   #1739
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,519
Chanderjeet arriving monday?

Hey guys,
CJ is almost here, so it's time to step up to the plate: We're getting called out by Shoganai over in KTRSD's "CJ in the North East" thread.

I don't know if there are plans happening in the background; LDF and I are in Seattle 'til tuesday, then back to SF for another week, I return to NYC the 30th .

If someone(s) doesn't get their act together soon and show this kid a good time, he'll be sipping tea and eating crumpets with the citibeemers crowd .

PS: if there's no alternative, someone PM me and we'll figure out a way to get keys to have him stay at our place.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #1740
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,889
Not sure what I can do to help him. I can offer him a bed and off street parking in Queens. But I can't take off of work to show him around. Between the hours of 7am-3pm, he'd be on his own.
I think a few people mentioned they may be getting sick this week.