ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #17386
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,753
1776 feet of vertigo

link

not sure if they just left it like that for another day or the unattended camera got bored and turned it self off
Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #17387
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
+100. Mike and Kelly's hatered to M/C's knows no bounds. I have been stopped 4 times in the past 6 months for these stoopid "safety checks" and each time I ask the Officer why I get stopped in full AGATT while these nimrods run around on dirtbikes without a worry in the world. Their response to me has always been something to the effect of "We're doing this safety check to discourage those guys from doing that" yet every time I see one on a dirtbike I find the nearest POPO and they refuse to chase them on grounds that they might hurt someone. WTF.
I watched this very thing a few weeks ago while waiting for my S.O. at BAM cinema. A guy on an unplated dirt bike with no tail light just trolling about when a cop car comes right up behind him. I could tell the rider was anxious about being stopped (he slowed way down, looked behind just waiting to be lit up), but the cops said not a word. They even cruised behind him for a short block before turning. I wanted to ask them what was up with that, but they got too far away to find 'em. This kind of stuff undermines their authority, to say the least.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #17388
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
I watched this very thing a few weeks ago while waiting for my S.O. at BAM cinema. A guy on an unplated dirt bike with no tail light just trolling about when a cop car comes right up behind him. I could tell the rider was anxious about being stopped (he slowed way down, looked behind just waiting to be lit up), but the cops said not a word. They even cruised behind him for a short block before turning. I wanted to ask them what was up with that, but they got too far away to find 'em. This kind of stuff undermines their authority, to say the least.
I've been on Woodhaven Blvd in Queens where there's over 40 of them, on quads and dirtbikes (including underage minors) literally driving around the main road, sidewalks, with no helmet, gear, etc. Not one PO in the area paid attention, I guess after the death of the guy that was rear ended a few months ago, it's ok to ride illegal?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #17389
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
I've been on Woodhaven Blvd in Queens where there's over 40 of them, on quads and dirtbikes (including underage minors) literally driving around the main road, sidewalks, with no helmet, gear, etc. Not one PO in the area paid attention, I guess after the death of the guy that was rear ended a few months ago, it's ok to ride illegal?
Yes, it will only be a matter of time when one of these bungholes hits and kills a pedestrian. What is frustrating is NYPD command sets up these safety checks and general harrasment policies to allegedly curb this activity and in the end all they do is go after the law abiding types($$).

I'ts a great message NYPD are sending out, just forget everything like license, reg etc, ride like a lunatic and we won't bother you....

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #17390
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
+100. Mike and Kelly's hatered to M/C's knows no bounds. I have been stopped 4 times in the past 6 months for these stoopid "safety checks" and each time I ask the Officer why I get stopped in full AGATT while these nimrods run around on dirtbikes without a worry in the world. Their response to me has always been something to the effect of "We're doing this safety check to discourage those guys from doing that" yet every time I see one on a dirtbike I find the nearest POPO and they refuse to chase them on grounds that they might hurt someone. WTF.
Cops know if they pull over a guy wearing full gear on a GS for example, chances are good that the major stuff (plate, reg, insurance, license) will be in order and it will be a quick, easy stop. They'll look for a tic-tac violation to write him for because they know the guy will go home and pay the fine.

The shirtless, helmet-less dumbass on a quad with no plate is a different story; you'd think they would focus on this kind of guy, but it's a higher-risk stop. More likely to run, might be carrying a weapon, probably doesn't have ID or valid reg, has to be arrested, transported, booked, statement given, report written, vehicle impounded, etc. And the cops don't want to be bothered. They just want to reach the end of their shift and go home to their families; not stay late doing paperwork because of some moron.

That's the real reason, and we all know it. Doesn't make it right, though.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #17391
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Rich and Eddie,

Thanks for the offer but Roy was in the area and confirmed for me that the truck exists.

Unfortunately, I already have 3 white cages and can't bring another one home.

If someone is interested in a cheap (less than a grand) white Discovery I can check it out for you and probably fix it for very little money ($25 for a brake light switch).

Thanks guys!

Thanks Roy!
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #17392
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
Thanks, that'd be great!
Sorry, apt rented already.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #17393
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Sorry, apt rented already.
No worries, thanks for checking.
175grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #17394
CMantis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
CMantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #17395
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
West Side / Dyer Ave. Parking update

The NYMSTF, thanks to a great presentation by wiseblood, got most of its recommendations for motorcycle parking approved by CB4's Transportation Planning Committee. Read all about it.

Mark your calendars: the Transportation Planning Committee will present their resolution to the full CB4 board for approval, Wednesday, June 5, 6:30 p.m. 119 Ninth Avenue (betw. 17th and 18th Sts), Fulton Auditorium. This will also be a public hearing and it will be important for riders to come to show their support for the resolution.

It's up to you to show up, speak clearly and succinctly about your need for parking in the area. This isn't the existent80 and wiseblood show; I don't live or work on the west side and CB4 knows it. Two local riders showed up: a resident and a business owner, and when they talked, the committee really listened.

What'cha gonna do? Are you going to reply to the NYMSTF e-mail or PM me and offer to help? Flyer? Take photos and do bike-counting walkabouts to bolster our presentation? Tell your neighbors to get on our mailing list already and show up June 5?
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #17396
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,409
Hey guys, anyone have any petite womens riding gear? I'm teaching a local girl how to ride. She's 5'2, 100lbs.

Got her on a Buell Blast (tip, if you are needing a jackhammer but don't have one, you can substitute a Buell Blast).

Took her to Floyd Bennet yesterday for a few hours, she did great.

Didn't drop the bike but did stall a few times. But that's more likely to do with the instant on\off engagement of the Buell.

She most likely would take an XS in everything. I'm guestimating her at 26/18/26 with a roughly 28" inseam.

Anyone have anything lying around collecting dust?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #17397
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,665
So strange. To contrast the NYC frustration, just got back from my first trip to Los Angeles, where parking in areas is free for motorcycles and parking in malls is free. Lane splitting as well, but most of you know that. I called for a quote and insurance is way cheaper than any of the boroughs. Plus 365 days of perfect riding weather (I say perfect for the crackheads that ride during snowstorms), why are we here again?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #17398
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
So strange. To contrast the NYC frustration, just got back from my first trip to Los Angeles, where parking in areas is free for motorcycles and parking in malls is free. Lane splitting as well, but most of you know that. I called for a quote and insurance is way cheaper than any of the boroughs. Plus 365 days of perfect riding weather (I say perfect for the crackheads that ride during snowstorms), why are we here again?
I lived in LA for 5 years and rode my RC51 to and from work every day (and to and from the Malibu canyons every weekend). No complaints about the weather for sure, but there are a lot more cars on the road and the number of clueless, distracted drivers is TRIPLE what it is here in NY. I can't even guess at how many close calls I had out there from drivers wandering into my lane, signaling right then turning left, not signaling at all, running red lights, you name it. All from just not paying attention.

Riding in NY is war, but at least you know your enemy is actively engaged! Out there, the enemy is more worried about the lines she has to memorize for her audition in 20 minutes and oh-my-god-I'm-gonna-be-late-to-yoga! And you and your bike are just collateral damage!
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #17399
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Hey guys, anyone have any petite womens riding gear? I'm teaching a local girl how to ride. She's 5'2, 100lbs.

Got her on a Buell Blast (tip, if you are needing a jackhammer but don't have one, you can substitute a Buell Blast).

Took her to Floyd Bennet yesterday for a few hours, she did great.

Didn't drop the bike but did stall a few times. But that's more likely to do with the instant on\off engagement of the Buell.

She most likely would take an XS in everything. I'm guestimating her at 26/18/26 with a roughly 28" inseam.

Anyone have anything lying around collecting dust?
I got a new leather coat. Harley Logo on it. XS Size
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #17400
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
LA is a dream compared to here, I'm there monthly. Their worst traffic is nothing compared to ours - their roads and highways are for the most part incredible, they grow when the city grows. There's 4 ways to go anywhere, and 5 lanes to do it on.

Mayor Bloomberg should be made to drive the last bit of the Jackie Rob on a turbo charged PUCH moped. Why can't they fix these roads? Or the FDR?

Yet we POUR $ into million dollar jungle jims in Central Park that only the tourists visit....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote