ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #17416
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Took me 2 hours to get from the East Village to the Lincoln Tunnel. I hope it's another couple of years before I 'm back there (and I grew up in NYC!)

On a MOTORCYCLE? On a work day I can make it from my office to the Lincoln tunnel in 30 minutes.... INCLUDING the time it takes to walk to my bike (2 blocks away) and put all my gear on!

Maybe you forgot to split lanes?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #17417
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macutan View Post
hey guys, got pulled over (for no reason) by a patrol car driving in the opposite direction as me. Everything in order (License, registration, insurance) except for the inspection that had expired and as today was the first time I took the moto out I hadn't had a change to renew it. He gave me a summons and told me that it can be dismiss if I get the inspection done in 48hrs. I asked him (after he gives me the yellow copy) how do I get it dismissed and tells me it is all in that piece of paper (yellow copy). Does anyone know where I can get an inspection on Sunday? (preferably around Brooklyn, but will ride anywhere) and also what do I do in order to show proof that I got it? (there isn't really anything on that yellow paper explaining what to do (anything but the address for the traffic violation bureau)

Place of occurrence
http://goo.gl/maps/KdJXj

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

thx
macutan

Difficult to find a moto biz which is open on Monday. But, my local service station claims to to moto inspections, and I'll bet a lot of service stations have the ability. Start calling right now, is what I'd do.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #17418
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Someone went by Branchville Motors today and confirmed the place was locked, with no bikes in the showroom. Looks like they may be gone.

That's too bad. Seemed like a nice place! They even had some inventory in the adjacent Vespa store.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #17419
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
I usually prefer not to split lanes, but I did it more than I would've liked today! ('bike' lanes mean motorcycles, or, right?) Part of it was not being familiar with the new traffic patterns (no left onto 14th off University, then no left onto Park from 14th, etc...) and the street closures, but traffic was a bear today. Much worse than I remember from when I was living I the city and frequenting downtown.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #17420
macutan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Difficult to find a moto biz which is open on Monday. But, my local service station claims to to moto inspections, and I'll bet a lot of service stations have the ability. Start calling right now, is what I'd do.
Thanks for this advice, how far is your local service station from Brooklyn?...
Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #17421
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Not far. It's the Sunoco on Metropolitan ave:

100-20 Metropolitan Avenue
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 263-7771

THAT BEING SAID, I've never gotten a motorcycle inspection from them. One time I tried, and they said "leave the bike and we'll take car of it." Yeah, right.

A better place, which may also do motorcycle inspections:

Glendale Auto Tech
72-14 73rd St, New York, NY
(718) 821-9697

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #17422
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 108
Inspection Monday thru Sat and Sometimes Sunday

I dont know if it may be too far but
Petrol Werks

NYS Inspection Station Cars Light Trucks MotorCycles Call for more information and/or Schedule an Appointment Call: 631-991-3770 Text: 917-318-0047

961 Wellwood Avenue
Lindenhurst NY 11757
917-318-0047
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #17423
macutan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Not far. It's the Sunoco on Metropolitan ave:

100-20 Metropolitan Avenue
Forest Hills, NY 11375
(718) 263-7771

THAT BEING SAID, I've never gotten a motorcycle inspection from them. One time I tried, and they said "leave the bike and we'll take car of it." Yeah, right.

A better place, which may also do motorcycle inspections:

Glendale Auto Tech
72-14 73rd St, New York, NY
(718) 821-9697
Thank you wiseblood, I have just called the first place and while they are opened today the inspections are during the week (7am - 6pm). Will try to drop by tomorrow early before work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzl View Post
I dont know if it may be too far but
Petrol Werks

NYS Inspection Station Cars Light Trucks MotorCycles Call for more information and/or Schedule an Appointment Call: 631-991-3770 Text: 917-318-0047

961 Wellwood Avenue
Lindenhurst NY 11757
917-318-0047

Thx Petzl, it is quite a trek to get there (34mi) and with today's rain... I guess I am not that hardcore...
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #17424
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Vespa Brooklyn is open on Mondays, and they inspect all brands despite only 'servicing' Euro bikes.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #17425
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Vespa Brooklyn is open on Mondays, and they inspect all brands despite only 'servicing' Euro bikes.
Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #17426
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Interesting...

Hey, Legal Experts!

I got a red light ticket (in the car -- not the bike) in Feb. I got the ticket in Manhattan. Knowing that the Administrative Law Justice system in the five boroughs only allows for "Guilty" or not (no plea bargaining), and knowing I have no points on my license at the moment, I decided NOT to lawyer up (as I would normally do) and to use this as an experiment in being processed through the maw of TVB justice.

So, first step is to do what any lawyer I hire would do: Delay, delay, delay. I purposely waited as long as I could before submitting a "Not Guilty" plea. I submitted the plea via the TVB ("Traffic Violations Bureau") website. And, on the confirmation page I got this message:
"Due to a change in the law, the Department of Motor Vehicles Suffolk Traffic Violations Bureau will no longer be in operation as of April 1,2013. Since it no longer fails under our jurisdiction, the ticket(s) will be transferred to the Suffolk County Traffic & Parking Violations Agency"

Anyone know what this means? Is it possible that, somehow, my violation is being transferred to a jurisdiction in which I CAN plea bargain for a non-points violation?

Thanks! (And, wish me luck!)

Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #17427
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,147
Quote:
Hey, Legal Experts!

I got a red light ticket (in the car -- not the bike) in Feb. I got the ticket in Manhattan. Knowing that the Administrative Law Justice system in the five boroughs only allows for "Guilty" or not (no plea bargaining), and knowing I have no points on my license at the moment, I decided NOT to lawyer up (as I would normally do) and to use this as an experiment in being processed through the maw of TVB justice.

So, first step is to do what any lawyer I hire would do: Delay, delay, delay. I purposely waited as long as I could before submitting a "Not Guilty" plea. I submitted the plea via the TVB ("Traffic Violations Bureau") website. And, on the confirmation page I got this message:
"Due to a change in the law, the Department of Motor Vehicles Suffolk Traffic Violations Bureau will no longer be in operation as of April 1,2013. Since it no longer fails under our jurisdiction, the ticket(s) will be transferred to the Suffolk County Traffic & Parking Violations Agency"

Anyone know what this means? Is it possible that, somehow, my violation is being transferred to a jurisdiction in which I CAN plea bargain for a non-points violation?

Thanks! (And, wish me luck!)
I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one. But I wonder if that is just a generic message for all tickets. If it moved to Suffolk the cop would have to go there to testify. Seems like a huge resource and money waste.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #17428
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
I submitted the plea via the TVB ("Traffic Violations Bureau") website. And, on the confirmation page I got this message:

FYI, I just found the following:

http://www.nytickethelp.com/2013/03/...ic-court-2013/

Suffolk County SCTPVA New Traffic Court Set To Open April 1, 2013
The new Suffolk County Traffic and Parking Violation Agency (SCTPVA) is set to open on April 1, 2013.

Currently, moving violation traffic tickets which will be handled by this court are handled by the Suffolk County TVB. At the TVB, there is no plea bargaining. All challenged tickets proceed to trial where the outcome is either all (win, case dismissed) or nothing (guilty as charged). Were expecting the new court to allow plea bargaining and negotiation similar to all the other village, town, city and county courts throughout NY.

Cases which are still open and were originally answerable to the Suffolk TVB will be transferred to the new SCTPVA.

Everyone at this point is saying the right things about the new court. It is designed to open fully staffed, operate efficiently and help motorists avoid long lines and waits that motorists expect at state agencies like the DMV. Ultimately, there are plans to give motorists access to their case information online.

I know no one wants to receive a traffic ticket in Suffolk and no one is going to be excited about a traffic ticket just because its in a new court. However, as far as traffic tickets go, Im hoping this court is a win-win for the County and for the motorists responding to summonses.

SCTPVA
H. Lee Dennison Building, Ground Floor, North Entrance
100 Veterans Memorial Highway
Hauppauge, NY 11788
By Scott Feifer

Very interesting....

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #17429
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one. But I wonder if that is just a generic message for all tickets. If it moved to Suffolk the cop would have to go there to testify. Seems like a huge resource and money waste.
You're probably right. That sounds insane, that my ticket in Manhattan South would be transferred to Suffolk. That being said, I was unable to continue with my online plea until I checked a box which said:
"I acknowledge my ticket(s) will be transferred to the Suffolk County Traffic & Parking Violations Agency and I will be notified of my new appearance date by that court."

Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #17430
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,270
Quote:
You're probably right. That sounds insane, that my ticket in Manhattan South would be transferred to Suffolk.....
Jesse, are you sure you have to bother trying to negotiate this ticket? I thought that the red light and camera speeding tickets were just fines, without points, since they would have a hard time telling who was actually driving the car.

If that is the case, wouldn't it make sense to just pay the fine? Your time, I'm sure, is pretty valuable. $300 an hour, right?

I assume you did go through the light.....