ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #17566
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkun View Post
@ 51st between 6th and 7th - NYPD towing all motorcycles parked in the NYPDparking only. Yet they ignored the motorcycles parked in the commercial only zone 2 feet away!

Will post pics when I get home. According to the officers, the mayor gave the order to remove all motorcycles parked illegally.

All the bikes they are towing are without plates and covers.

Here are the pics:

Before (From earlier this afternoon around 2pm)

After (There were 4 NYPD tow trucks when i arrived at the scene around 5:40pm)

their fools for parking in the NYPD zone. you don't piss off bullys. secondly, with all these new bike share programs, it offers a lot of protection from this. it is my personal opinion that the harder it is to tow your bike, the less likely they will. near me is one of those racks, when i park my bike i put it on the sidewalk in the midde where it is 30 feet either way and the tow truck can't get to it because of the plaza of the building and mailbox on the side.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #17567
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
their fools for parking in the NYPD zone. you don't piss off bullys. secondly, with all these new bike share programs, it offers a lot of protection from this. it is my personal opinion that the harder it is to tow your bike, the less likely they will. near me is one of those racks, when i park my bike i put it on the sidewalk in the midde where it is 30 feet either way and the tow truck can't get to it because of the plaza of the building and mailbox on the side.
FYI that was NYP, not NYPD. That means folks with NY press credentials. Not cops.

Although depending on the media outlet affiliation, I suppose the argument could still be made for the bully attribute...
Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #17568
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,813
covers are mandatory?!?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #17569
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,631
Anytime you park your bike under a red sign that says "NO STANDING ANYTIME in NYC, well, you're an idiot and deserve to be towed.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice

Zodiac screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 07:26 AM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #17570
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Anyone know of an upholsterer in NYC that will re-cover Corbin seats?
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #17571
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkun View Post
@ 51st between 6th and 7th - NYPD towing all motorcycles parked in the NYPDparking only. Yet they ignored the motorcycles parked in the commercial only zone 2 feet away!

Will post pics when I get home. According to the officers, the mayor gave the order to remove all motorcycles parked illegally.

All the bikes they are towing are without plates and covers.

Here are the pics:

Before (From earlier this afternoon around 2pm)

After (There were 4 NYPD tow trucks when i arrived at the scene around 5:40pm)

Meanwhile, across the street, bike racks take up major portion of street. The way the city normally does business, the companies running the business are probably giving little or nothing back to the city.

Fair that people who pay road tax can't park, but bikes can?

NYC sucks!

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #17572
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Meanwhile, across the street, bike racks take up major portion of street. The way the city normally does business, the companies running the business are probably giving little or nothing back to the city.

Fair that people who pay road tax can't park, but bikes can?

NYC sucks!
Care to elaborate on this road tax you're paying that bicyclists aren't?
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #17573
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post

Yeah, to be clear: There is no "road tax" per se. However, I understand Speedo's sentiment:
  • In the past few years, the roadways in NYC have been systematically changed, for the benefit of bicyclists and pedestrians, at the expense of motorists.
  • There is an intuitive sense that "roads are for motor vehicles," and these changes seem to fly in opposition to that. (You can debate the truth of that statement, but you can't deny the changes which have been pushed along, recently.)
  • Motorcyclists, in particular, have been pinched in the middle. We are clearly one of the most vulnerable groups of road users along with bicycles when it comes to safety factors, but we get lumped in with cars and trucks when it comes to policy.
  • As a motorcyclist, we see motorcycles (and scooters) as a potential and obvious societal good. Yet, the present administration seems to ignore that fact, while fixating on the benefits of bicycles, exclusively.
  • There's no room on the street for motorcycle parking, but there's unlimited room, time, and money for bicycles.

It stings. It pisses me off. Frankly, I'm furious about it. I'm ready to buy a fuckingloud exhaust, and start parking on the sidewalk, because being a "nice guy" doesn't seem to be accomplishing a fucking thing. And, if the city can't see their way to working with the nice guys -- the licensed, insured, adult riders -- then they will only have themselves to blame when we give up and join the rabble.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!

wiseblood screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 08:33 AM
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #17574
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
He must be confusing gas tax and road tax.

Obviously we need to force bicyclists to buy gasoline.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #17575
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,100
Harbor Freight (Hamilton Ave in Gowanus) is now open, for all your disposable tool needs. I went in yesterday... it was smaller than I expected, but it was chock full of cheap crap that you can't get elsewhere, especially on a Sunday.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #17576
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
Harbor Freight (Hamilton Ave in Gowanus) is now open, for all your disposable tool needs. I went in yesterday... it was smaller than I expected, but it was chock full of cheap crap that you can't get elsewhere, especially on a Sunday.
I have this inexplicable urge to visit the place. Sort of like a trek to Mecca.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #17577
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I have this inexplicable urge to visit the place. Sort of like a trek to Mecca.
Road trip! I noticed the grand opening the other day.

Will have to investigate.

HF is great for crap tools during road trips. Can't tell you how much crap I have taking up space from there that I bought on the road to use for some type of emergency fix (never on any of MY bikes mind you).
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #17578
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
yeah was going to post this as well. Sign says this weekend, the 7th - 9th, is a parking lot sale. i would think as part of their grand opening.

as for the speedo66 comment about road tax. i would think our dmv dollars that we pay and the bicyclists do not go towards the roads in some degree
Old 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #17579
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood
Yeah, to be clear: There is no "road tax" per se. However, I understand Speedo's sentiment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
He must be confusing gas tax and road tax.

Obviously we need to force bicyclists to buy gasoline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
as for the speedo66 comment about road tax. i would think our dmv dollars that we pay and the bicyclists do not go towards the roads in some degree
Our annual registrations have increased significantly in the last couple of years. Bicyclists do not pay any registration fees or taxes to use the roads. In CT, where the OP lives, they have to pay property tax on motor vehicles whether or not the vehicle is registered. Bicyclists have no such tax for using the same roads.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #17580
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Bike Stolen But...

My bike was stolen last Monday night/ Tues morn (2011 Yamaha WR250X) from the upper west side. It was chained up with serious ABUS locks to an unmovable object, so obviously professionals.

Went on the usual useless ride in the police car to canvas the immediate 3-5 block vicinity and then went to make the report at the 20th precinct.

Since this is my 3rd bike to get stolen in the last 9 years I didn't ever expect to hear anything about it again, but a detective has called me 3x over the last week for more info and to let me know that they are going to check video from nearby buildings to see if they can spot the van/truck that might have driven by (bike was perpendicular to the nearest camera so the actual theft was out of view). He said they had reports of a minivan stealing bikes and scooters in the neighborhood and hope to get a picture of it.

At this point the bike is probably in pieces (brand new exhaust, tires, fuel programmer, rack, bars, LEDs, other farkles), but it is nice to see that the NYPD is at least trying.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote