ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #17671
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I spoke respectfully and without sarcasm the entire time.
Were you sick that day?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #17672
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Makes me want some Mad Max spiked gloves.
Are you a size L? I have a pair with titanium spikes and knuckles you can have.

Friend of mine confirmed it will shatter the side window of a car with ease.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #17673
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Maybe it's just a side effect of summer, but I've been pushed out of my lane by cars four times in the last week.
Hell, I had that in one MILE one day last week.

Pussy.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #17674
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,424
My worst was a few weeks ago, in heavy traffic, while in the left lane, guy passes me to the left in my lane.

Had thoughts of carrying old spark plugs to fling over my shoulder as I pass him again.

Sounds like those gloves would also make some interesting lines down the side of someone's car.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #17675
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
This:

And this:

...Cannot both be true.

Either the officers are, reluctantly, just doing what the boss says to do -- OR they are so invested in what they are doing that they feel the need to retaliate.

If it was me... well, I'd probably not ever be police because it's a hard job, and I wouldn't much like every fucking thing I do to be scrutinized.

But, IF I WAS, I would have to have some preternatural ability to not lose my cool, and to not take things personally. The job is to enforce the laws -- laws which stem from the US Constitution, which takes precedence. And, the 1st Amendment entitles citizens to take pictures of whatever they want, and to say whatever they want. And, the 4th Amendment certainly does make a pretty reasonable case against inconveniencing people who just want to ride from point A-to-B, who haven't acted in any way to create a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

BTW, if you really want to talk about these checkpoints, there's a new thread which is hours away from being punted to the basement:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893683

Anyway, I'm just saying, congrats to Brad to making it into the special file of NYPD troublemakers. If they're taking your picture, chances are you're doing something right.

Oh, and, BTW: Don't you just love getting a "safety check" from guys with fake helmets, no jackets, short sleeves, and fake boots? Pay attention NYPD -- this is how real police on motorcycles look:

Yeah, in a perfect world, cops would totally detach themselves from personal feelings, and be totally objective. I fear it's just not going to happen 100%, human nature being what it is. I'm sure you've seen or heard about the psychology experiment of college students pretending to be prisoners and correction officers, and getting a little too far into the roles.

Since when did the constitution matter to Bloomberg, he arrested scores of people illegally during a political convention to clean the streets up, only to release them without charges.

By the way Brad, a command voice is just a non violent tool. Don't get all excited about it.

NYPD might ticket that cop, he's got an aftermarket pipe on his bike.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #17676
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Hey, maybe the running guy's inspection was expired.
FWIW the perp, er, suspect jacked a woman's iPhone. Two cops chasing him, neither seemed to be able to close the distance. I kinda' wanted to high-five the guy who tripped him. Great teamwork, that. But I thought it would be tacky and didn't feel like making witness statements so I headed into my office. I'm happy enough just gloating to you FFs.

Quote:
If they're taking your picture, chances are you're doing something right.
Hopefully they can start a whole portfolio, then.

Quote:
Oh, and, BTW: Don't you just love getting a "safety check" from guys with fake helmets, no jackets, short sleeves, and fake boots?
Yes, while I swelter in full gear.

Ya' know, every time I see the HWY guys I feel the urge to ask 'em where they left the injun and the cowboy. But then I guess I'd be baiting. I could really master that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
most of what the checkpoints are catching are people with $6,000+ bikes, puddin' bowl helmets, a permit that expired in the Clinton administration, and a lapsed registration -- a group for which I am having less and less sympathy.
I never had any sympathy for them.

But we've also discussed before the environment that has led to this. There are ways to approach this administratively, proactively. But why do something that costs money when you can make money instead, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
Maybe next time there's a checkpoint, someone pulls up a lawn chair and logs the riders: how many are legal, and how many are summonsed or towed?
Would that be more or less difficult, time-consuming and effective than a FOIL request to the NYPD? No need to answer; it's a hypothetical question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
[and others too] If they don't persue
I see HWY guys doing 100 MPH to chase speeders. Sometimes I see them blasting down the left lane at 80-90 just to fuck with left lane hogs. The inconsistencies are huge. Police chase other motorists for all sorts of reasons. BFD.

Nonetheless, there is a huge difference between chasing someone and waiting for them to screw up, and using an RMP as a weapon just because department rules forbid shooting folks in the back from moving vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
Except for one little law saying you cannot obstruct your licensce plate with any covers - N.Y. VAT. LAW 402 : NY Code - Section 402:1(b)
If you're going to cite law, don't paraphrase or you'll fuck it up:

"Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and shall not be knowingly covered or coated with any artificial or synthetic material or substance that conceals or obscures such number plates or that distorts a recorded or photographic image of such number plates, and the view of such number plates shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon, except for a receiver-transmitter issued by a publicly owned tolling facility in connection with electronic toll collection when such receiver-transmitter is affixed to the exterior of a vehicle in accordance with mounting instructions provided by the tolling facility."

ComicSans typeface chosen intentionally.

You'll notice that the frame I used has been carefully sawed down so as not to obstruct written or graphic identifying elements of the license plate and meets NYS requirements fully. I'm feeling lazy, else I'd cite case law.

On the other hand I better ease up on the belly manscaping or I'll get busted for a bald spare tire!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #17677
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
By the way Brad, a command voice is just a non violent tool. Don't get all excited about it.
The issue isn't so much the command voice but how it's used/abused.

In this case it was abused to hopefully compel me to stop doing something that was perfectly lawful and completely within my rights to be doing. I posed no threat to the officers - I was 25-30 feet away. I was not touching anyone's property. My hands were behind my back and in plain view of the cops who at that point were behind me. There was no reason to pull that shit except to bully me. None. Zero. Zilch.

Officer Marshall didn't let any of this stuff bother him, or if it did he had the cool not to show it. Officer Vasquez, well, the good news is at least he dialed it back when I took (or in spite of me taking) the moral high ground. Kudos for that. Too bad it came to that.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #17678
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzl View Post
California startup Vectolabs has developed a new type of safety light for motorcycles that illuminates when the bike slows down, regardless of whether or not the rider is using the brakes.

looks like they reached their goal. 29 hours left to order if you want one. it is a go on production.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #17679
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,482
who was riding the ktm dirty bike over the queensborough bridge this morning? looked like a 450 (newer model). clad in black. saw ya from the 7. slightly jealous except i'm not sure where the hell i'd park it - definitely not on the street. talk about "gone in 60 seconds".

this is about the third time i've seen ya - nothing like walkin' to work on lex and hear the unmistakable sound of a ktm thumper comin' up the street.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #17680
lakser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
riding my bicycle over the Williamsburg bridge this morning I saw a motorcycle down.

he was ok but he was still laying on his back.
on his phone.
his bike was down looked like a triumph speed or street tripple.

Cant be sure what happend but it looked like it occurred at low speed.

stay safe guys.
lakser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #17681
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Maybe it's just a side effect of summer, but I've been pushed out of my lane by cars four times in the last week. It's really unbelievable how aggressive some drivers are, and how many I've encountered recently. It wasn't just mindless driving either - these cars made a point of pulling into me.

First close call occurred while touring about in upstate: car suddenly pulls out of the right hand lane, cutting across two lanes completely oblivious to me.

Second one was outside of Baltimore in the fast lane: BMW driver in a mad rush pulls around my right and cuts me off

Third one was on the BQE: black SUV comes at me from the lane to my right (again I was in the fast lane) and 'pushes' me into the barrier.

Last night was merging onto the BQE in Williamsburg and a mini van pulls up alongside me as the entrance ramp narrows down to one lane (if I'd been in the middle of the lane it may not have happened ... but I didn't see the guy coming up on me). Throttling got me out of the way no problem, but ...

Some of these drivers seemed to be out there to fuck with riders (SUV driver for sure), and they know we have little recourse because we're basically sitting ducks on our bikes. Makes me want some Mad Max spiked gloves.

Anyone else experiencing this?
*chuckle*

on daily basis.... daily indeed....
Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #17682
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Anything motorcycling related happening this weekend in NYC? I wanna take a trip from Montreal.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #17683
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 102
Stealth? I thought no one can see us to begin with...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...pecial-forces/
Petzl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #17684
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Anything motorcycling related happening this weekend in NYC? I wanna take a trip from Montreal.
Sidewalk tour of Harlem all summer long, visit police precincts in the area, play dodge the cop with a stick in his hand.....

always something going on in da city
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #17685
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
*chuckle*

on daily basis.... daily indeed....
and with contact.... if not just look at my pelican case where the cabbie scraped the paint off.....
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote