ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #17671
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Speedo I lived in the same neighborhood as you but I think you have a few years on me. I do not remember a place on Jamaica, but there was a Honda/Kawasaki dealership on Hillside near Parsons (if I remember correctly)
There are some good Ghost stories floating around. They definitely made up their own rules and laws.
You're absolutely correct, it was on Hillside, not Jamaica, a few blocks west of Sutphin.

I lived in Pomonok Housing. You're being kind, I probably have a lot of years on you. I was in the second graduating class at Francis Lewis. They kept building high schools, my older brother went to Jamaica, then they built Francis Lewis, then they built Bowne, and my younger brother went there.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #17672
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
I didn't have it in my phone, so here's a plug for NYMSTF CHECK POINT ALERT SYSTEM

Checkpoint alert #347-410-6783
Thanks. FYI, that's the same phone # as the NYMSTF general phone number so if anyone thinks they don't know the number, it can be found on the NYMSTF web site, http://www.nymstf.org
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #17673
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Checkpoint Charlie...

So when I heard about the checkpoint on Park and 55th I had some time to kill, so I went over there to check it out. Now let me preface this by saying that it could have gone very badly. I set out with the intention of being, well, not quite a pest but a visible reminder that we motorcyclists don't like what they're doing. Halfway to the elevator I double-checked my wallet and realized that my insurance card expired in April and I never put the new one in my wallet. So back I went to surf through the Box Of Papers That Haven't Been Scanned And Discarded Yet. Can't get in the cops' faces if my shit isn't all in perfect order...

By the time I got there it looked like I missed most of the fun. There was a NYPD van and two HWY-1 motorbikes at southwest corner of 54th Street, and just two scooters and a Ducati in custody.

The two HWY-1 cops were basically just chilling, so I parked my bike at the northwest corner and meandered over there.

I very politely asked one of the motor cops if there were going to be any more checkpoints today and inevitably, the cop answered my question with a question. "Why do you want to know?" So I bite my tongue and avoid saying "BECAUSE I'M A FUCKING TAXPAYER AND I DESERVE TO KNOW", and tell the nice officer my name and my affiliation. Then he responds that it's probably done for the day. How disappointing.

This of course compels the officer to ask if I've been through one of their checkpoints yet today and I say "no", so (as if I didn't see this coming) he asks for my license, registration and insurance (whew!). After about ten or twelve minutes of dicking around he rewards my eager compliance with what I call a PR Pass. It's a green sheet of paper that says you've been inspected and found not to be Puerto Rican, or something like that, so you can show it to the next fascist checkpoint for a wave-through.

While Officer Marshall was filling out my PR Pass, Officer Vasquez gave my bike the once-over. I should point out that he very thoughtfully took the key out of the ignition and handed it to me and told me I shouldn't leave it in the lock. What the heck do I know. I felt pretty safe with all those cops around.

He says "nice aftermarket pipe there". Very cute, like he's gonna somehow get me to fess up to an illegal exhaust. Never mind that my bike is box-fucking-stock. I mean, unless you count the Garmin GPS. He tells me he doesn't see a baffle. SERIOUSLY?!

I ask him if he wants to put some money where his mouth is on the exhaust accusation but he declines. Of course then he confesses that he doesn't "know much about Jap bikes." Again I bite my tongue and avoid telling him I don't know jack shit about spic bikes but I sure know what a fucking exhaust baffle looks like.

By the way, a quick "told ya' so", which is that if the cop was looking for the OEM EPA stamp, good luck. I haven't washed my bike since before Hurricane Sandy, and I rode it through that. So if anyone had doubts as to why we didn't care for EPA stamp laws, this just might have been a good example of why. That stamp is under a shit-ton of grime and corrosion. Nobody's gonna see it.

So I decide to stick around, take some pictures and generally be visible, but there's not much going on so I'm bored and start wandering. There were the two scooters in the street - a green Vespa and a blue one - and there was this Duc at the adjacent corner that I initially didn't think was involved. It looked like a nice bike so I meandered over to drool a bit.

As I'm looking at the Duc I notice a green "VIOLATION" tag on it so I look at the violation, see it says something about an expired reg, and as I'm taking a step back to look at the plate I hear "EXCUSE ME". I ignore the first one and finally turn at the second "EXCUSE ME" to see Office Vasquez approach. The command voice is on and he demands to know why I'm looking, and I tell him because it's a nice bike and I was curious. Then command voice goes up a few decibels and he tells me I shouldn't be looking at people's personal information. I tell him he shouldn't leave it out in public view, and he turns the tag over. So then he tells me he thinks I'm being disrespectful, but somewhat to my relief he is actually dialing it back a bit. I told him I felt the same way about him. We went our separate ways. Abner Louima moment avoided.

Seriously, what the fuck does he think he's accomplishing by trying to intimidate me for looking at something in public view?

So then I hang around a bit more, take a few more pics. A truck shows up to take away the bikes. They load up the Duc on the truck but two cops - one of 'em a white shirt - decide to ride the Vespas away instead of loading them on the truck. No helmets or protective eyewear by the way! It's so refreshing to see the NYPD lead by example, right?

While that's going on, Officer Pantin (Traffic) shows up with a midrange Nikon DSLR and a zoom lens to take a picture of Yours Truly. I smile and wave. He then shows the results to Officer Marshall for approval.

I feel SO MUCH SAFER now that I've been so thoroughly inspected.

I'm probably listed as a subversive now...

Rectaltronics screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 10:32 PM
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #17674
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 884
All I can say is good job, Brad!
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
2006 VStrom 1000 "Felaróf" - July 13th, 2013 (73,000 miles)
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #17675
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
All I can say is good job, Brad!
Thanks George. Good job avoiding a toilet plunger handle up my bunghole, I suppose. And probably an equally good job of getting my picture into one of the NYPD's secret fascist databases of supposedly dangerous terrorists and subversives, no doubt. I at least hope they got my good angle. Unlike my picture of Officer Vasquez. I really owe him an apology. That perspective was not exactly flattering for him.

On a slightly related but not really, note: I had the immense pleasure this morning of performing a slightly different kind of civic duty...

I pull up in front of my office and pull off my helmet and I hear yelling and screaming from down the block. I take a look and see a cop running after a skinny white guy and yelling for him to stop. So a dog walking neighbor and I double-team the guy. Neighbor steps aside and sticks out a foot to trip the suspect. Just as the runner is faltering I step out and body-check him and he drops like a sack of potatoes. Tons of fun. I knew the Rev'It jacket's padding would come in handy for something!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #17676
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Do you really think baiting the cops does your organization or any riders any good? I understand your interest, but this sounds more like you're on a mission just to piss cops off.

Don't complain after putting a stick in the snakes eye, you get bit. A good traffic cop can find a violation on a new car. Plus, you should be riding, not standing around annoying someone just because you can.

Not taking sides, but I doubt the cops chose to be there. They're like any other salaried guys, doing what the boss tells them to.

Hey, maybe the running guy's inspection was expired.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #17677
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Where can I buy a Rectaltronics Tshirt? You are my hero!
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #17678
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,115
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Don't complain after putting a stick in the snakes eye, you get bit. A good traffic cop can find a violation on a new car. Plus, you should be riding, not standing around annoying someone just because you can.

And this:

Quote:
Not taking sides, but I doubt the cops chose to be there. They're like any other salaried guys, doing what the boss tells them to.

...Cannot both be true.

Either the officers are, reluctantly, just doing what the boss says to do -- OR they are so invested in what they are doing that they feel the need to retaliate.

If it was me... well, I'd probably not ever be police because it's a hard job, and I wouldn't much like every fucking thing I do to be scrutinized.

But, IF I WAS, I would have to have some preternatural ability to not lose my cool, and to not take things personally. The job is to enforce the laws -- laws which stem from the US Constitution, which takes precedence. And, the 1st Amendment entitles citizens to take pictures of whatever they want, and to say whatever they want. And, the 4th Amendment certainly does make a pretty reasonable case against inconveniencing people who just want to ride from point A-to-B, who haven't acted in any way to create a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

BTW, if you really want to talk about these checkpoints, there's a new thread which is hours away from being punted to the basement:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893683

Anyway, I'm just saying, congrats to Brad to making it into the special file of NYPD troublemakers. If they're taking your picture, chances are you're doing something right.

Oh, and, BTW: Don't you just love getting a "safety check" from guys with fake helmets, no jackets, short sleeves, and fake boots? Pay attention NYPD -- this is how real police on motorcycles look:

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #17679
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Where can I buy a Rectaltronics Tshirt? You are my hero!
He doesn't sell t-shirts on his website.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #17680
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Do you really think baiting the cops does your organization or any riders any good?
Got to agree on this one.

Courts have confirmed that these checkpoints are legal. I don't like it any more than anyone else here, and they certainly don't make me feel "safer."

Our best case scenario at this point, is that so many riders "Get Legal" that the PD abandon checkpoints as useless. Or, reasonable cops who just want to get home at the end of their shift (y'know, 95% of them) will realize that their are paperless, unlicensed, straight-piped hooligans, and then there are a bunch of us who are pretty straight-up but maybe forgot to put our updated insurance card in the trunk. And maybe they'll ease up on the ball-breaking this season once they distinguish the "good guys" from the "bad guys." I hope so.

But I don't think ball-breaking them first is going to help matters.

3 years ago on parade day I got stopped at a checkpoint and got two BS tickets from a 5'4" desk jockey who hadn't seen the VTL since the academy. Took him 20 minutes in his radio car to write a citation for no baffles -- of course my pipes were legal. I also knew it wasn't worth my time to mouth off to some poorly trained nincompoop. Fought in court and had 'em dismissed.

I've also been stopped at checkpoints where I did have, ahem, paperwork issues. And the cop was reasonable and I talked my way into pushing the bike around the corner and taking the subway home.

The checkpoints are here to stay, and if the cops think they're bullshit harassment of good riders, we'll encounter more of the latter and fewer of the former.

And maybe, carry a couple "Get Legal" flyers in your pocket to hand to the poor sap who was riding on a permit and got caught?
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #17681
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
I've also been stopped at checkpoints where I did have, ahem, paperwork issues. And the cop was reasonable and I talked my way into pushing the bike around the corner and taking the subway home.

If you don't mind, what paperwork issues are we talking about? I get the vibe that riders are "taking the subway home" for issues which would NEVER cause a car driver to have to do the same.

Anyway... If NYPD only stops the law-abiding riders, and lets the others pop wheelies through Times Sq., then they're just making more of the latter, and less of the former.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #17682
existent80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood
If you don't mind, what paperwork issues are we talking about? I get the vibe that riders are "taking the subway home" for issues which would NEVER cause a car driver to have to do the same.

Anyway... If NYPD only stops the law-abiding riders, and lets the others pop wheelies through Times Sq., then they're just making more of the latter, and less of the former.

My docs weren't in order, and instead of getting the bike towed, he let me walk. I consider that a good outcome.

Of the two scoots that R'tronics photographed, one has a blue reg sticker - so the registration lapsed, and it's in an impound lot today. I hope the rider has about $800 handy and doesn't mind cracked plastics.

It's a catch-22 with the hooligan riders. If they pursue, riders and passersby are at risk of injury or death. If they don't pursue, wiseblood complains.

But most of what the checkpoints are catching are people with $6,000+ bikes, puddin' bowl helmets, a permit that expired in the Clinton administration, and a lapsed registration -- a group for which I am having less and less sympathy.

Maybe next time there's a checkpoint, someone pulls up a lawn chair and logs the riders: how many are legal, and how many are summonsed or towed?
existent80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #17683
TipsyMcStagger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
My Uly is in my garage in FL. This time last year, I had it back in my $200 a month spot on 87th St.

I wonder why my motivation to bring it back north is lacking?

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #17684
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by existent80 View Post
It's a catch-22 with the hooligan riders. If they pursue, riders and passersby are at risk of injury or death. If they don't pursue, wiseblood complains.

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm the ONLY one complaining. And, I don't think NYPD gives a flying whatever if the public complains... just so long as they don't take any pictures or video.

If NYPD doesn't pursue, then more and more people with "puddin' bowl helmets, a permit that expired in the Clinton administration, and a lapsed registration" are just going to run. It's happening already.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #17685
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
If NYPD doesn't pursue, then more and more people with "puddin' bowl helmets, a permit that expired in the Clinton administration, and a lapsed registration" are just going to run. It's happening already.

And, one more thing: Without a proper motorcycle police force, it's more and more likely that pursuit will fail, or result in injury.

Ready for pursuit:

Ready for parade: