ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #17731
Mazaev
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Hah, I got rear ended on the Prospect Expressway the other day in bumper to bumper traffic. Didn't get knocked down, so pulled up to the lady's windows to ask what compelled her to do such a thing to which she angrily replied "Well, I can't see you there!", there being right in front of her. Refused to pull over so I could check for any damage. Luckily, she was in 2 mile an hour traffic and there were 3 or 4 highway patrol cars with their lights (who were causing the traffic in the first place) on near by that I scooted right over to. They were pretty happy to pull her over while I inspected the bike and decided it wasn't worth the wasted time to make a report.

...but man, have I been getting yelled at more often for doing silly things like being in the road since it got warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Point taken.

One of these assholes was overtly pushing me over - not a laughing matter - clearly taking advantage of their relative safety. Makes me wish I had a GoPro on the helmet.
Mazaev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #17732
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
Go my bike back from the guys at the 43rd precinct in the South Bronx today.

Broken fork lock, small scuff on exhaust can, broken brake lever and hand guard, bent shift lever, all graphics removed, no mirrors, etc. Mostly just a bunch of minor stuff.

A couple extras I got out of the deal:
- a new key - I don't know how they got one cut, but it works on the ignition, gas tank and helmet lock. They didn't have it when they stole it or they wouldn't have broken the fork lock.
- a dollar bill attached to the rear brake line ????
- somebody's license plate - not mine. Went to DMV today to get a new one.
- some bling-y LED lighting

Here are some pictures:

Note the rocker switch for the LEDs installed in the back of the side panel.

And the dollar bill. I need to clean up their wiring.

Anyone recognize this plate? Not mine.

United State Postal Service has also come through and found the priority mail with my keys that I sent out last Thursday, so I get all my keys back.

Just btw, I know a lot of you guys are complaining about all the unlicensed dirt bikes on the streets and the NYPD not doing anything about it. I can only say that the 43rd precinct has a very large garage filled with confiscated dirtbikes and I probably wouldn't have gotten my bike back if they weren't trying to get unlicensed/unregistered/uninsured riders off the streets.
Is that the flux capacitor glowing under the tank?
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #17733
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
Hah, I got rear ended on the Prospect Expressway the other day in bumper to bumper traffic. Didn't get knocked down, so pulled up to the lady's windows to ask what compelled her to do such a thing to which she angrily replied "Well, I can't see you there!"
You should have given her a shiv to the throat, then said; "well what do you want, I didn't see your neck there you ignorant blind cunt!?!"

(Seriously, I would have gone ballistic if someone told me that, way to keep your rage secured).
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #17734
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 651
Leaving the city the other week, I took the M103 up 3rd ave and was walking across the street to transfer to the M60 at 125th. Some fucking waste of oxygen on a (stolen) scooter runs through the light (I had the pedestrian walk signal) and nearly runs into me. Yep, he was actually purposely aiming for me. He then runs another light and turns left down 3rd ave against traffic.

Looks like these checkpoints are really doing worlds of good!!!! Thanks NYPD for keeping those illegal motor(cycle)ists off the streets!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #17735
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
Leaving the city the other week, I took the M103 up 3rd ave and was walking across the street to transfer to the M60 at 125th. Some fucking waste of oxygen on a (stolen) scooter runs through the light (I had the pedestrian walk signal) and nearly runs into me. Yep, he was actually purposely aiming for me. He then runs another light and turns left down 3rd ave against traffic.

Looks like these checkpoints are really doing worlds of good!!!! Thanks NYPD for keeping those illegal motor(cycle)ists off the streets!!!!!!!!!!
How did you know the scooter was stolen??
Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #17736
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
How did you know the scooter was stolen??
How did you know I was actually aiming for you?

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #17737
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
At least they're checking bikes being towed completely out in the open by people not behaving outside the normal, while ignoring entire fleets of bikes and ATVs with plates that are missing, covered or bent so as to be impossible to read, doing wheelies on Broadway.

You're not black are you?

At least he didn't say you should "get a ninja!"
I see what you did there, nope not black.

My buddy hit a guy on a bicycle yesterday by motogrl in Brooklyn, hipster dude was not paying attention while towing another bike with his other hand, he ran a red light right in the path of my friends motorcycle. They both went down, good thing my friend was going about 25mph, the guy I think broke his arm, was not wearing a helmet, admitted fault and was hauled away on an ambulance. My friend is fine, just a bruised hip, bike has a tank dent and the sliders took the hit, I told him to make sure the other guy pays up.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #17738
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 471
And how you propose he does that? Hipster on a bicycle? I guess he could go to his house f him up and get all his PBR...or blackmail his parents-they could be loaded.
I'd say that's a wash. Ideally, he would bottle it up, get in his cage and plow over that woman who just 'couldn't see' a motorcycle while she is crossing the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
I see what you did there, nope not black.

My buddy hit a guy on a bicycle yesterday by motogrl in Brooklyn, hipster dude was not paying attention while towing another bike with his other hand, he ran a red light right in the path of my friends motorcycle. They both went down, good thing my friend was going about 25mph, the guy I think broke his arm, was not wearing a helmet, admitted fault and was hauled away on an ambulance. My friend is fine, just a bruised hip, bike has a tank dent and the sliders took the hit, I told him to make sure the other guy pays up.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #17739
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
And how you propose he does that? Hipster on a bicycle? I guess he could go to his house f him up and get all his PBR...or blackmail his parents-they could be loaded.
I'd say that's a wash. Ideally, he would bottle it up, get in his cage and plow over that woman who just 'couldn't see' a motorcycle while she is crossing the street.
Small claims court (less than $30) as damages are less than $5k, police report showing the hipster admitting fault at the accident along with witness reports of the accident in my friends favor. But there could be the possibility of his parents paying up, who knows.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #17740
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

I know this has been beaten to death, but can someone recommend a reputable shop to get some work done on my headache (2 stroke), I've given up, and with all these popup vintage bike shops, I want to make sure I go to one that actually knows what they are doing.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #17741
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
I know this has been beaten to death, but can someone recommend a reputable shop to get some work done on my headache (2 stroke), I've given up, and with all these popup vintage bike shops, I want to make sure I go to one that actually knows what they are doing.
If it's not a basket-case give JD a call. 646-719-8339.

BTW which "vintage popup shops" are you thinking of?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #17742
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,000
Citibike... it's awesome.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #17743
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

I think that's exactly what city planners had in mind when they decided to spend millions in public money, grab public space, and force this debacle down peoples throats.

How long before the much feared Citibike Police chase them off?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #17744
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Checkpoint Alert System FYI

I know that the last few months, the Checkpoint Alert System has occasionally been too slow to post the alerts to Twitter and in some cases, the RSS feed.

The Twitter issue has been fixed. Twitter updated their software interface over the winter and it took me some time to figure out how to catch up with the changes but it does work now, and I'm trying to figure out some mechanism to warn me quickly if it breaks again.

If you submit an alert and it doesn't show up within a few minutes on both Twitter AND the RSS feed, it is because you didn't follow the instructions and make the first word "checkpoint", or you mis-spelled it. In cases like this the alert will not show up in either place until I find it in my email or on my phone and re-type the alert into a new message to the CAS. So please remember the first word needs to be "checkpoint" or it will delay your message and cause Yours Truly some extra work.

Thanks and ride safe,
-Brad
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #17745
cantseejack
woop woop

Oddometer: 79
Saw a guy on an unplated dirtbike hooning around Prospect Park yesterday. Unmarked cruiser lights him up, chases him once around Grand Army Plaza, then the guy cuts across the plaza, flies into Prospect Park going at what must have been 45+ mph, with the cruiser chasing afterwards.

I could only think of how many runners, cyclists, and other people enjoying the park were going to get hurt from that chase. Not condoning the rider's actions, but it might have been better to let him go, or station some officers at the park's exits...
cantseejack is offline   Reply With Quote