ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #18016
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
IMHO, a new way to get killed. All you have to do is move around NYC streets, by foot or vehicle, and observe the hazards created by people absorbed in their screens as they ignore the traffic around them. On Friday I watched a guy stroll right through an intersection, oblivious to what he was doing.

On the other hand, maybe the heads-up is different in that the info being delivered is directly related to driving ... the same info one finds in the instrument cluster?
maybe their candidates for the darwin award. in the future when HUD's can process other cars and hazards instead of just display speed and mpg it would be a good idea. for now, just another distraction. besides, i ride to get away from technology, not to integrate with it.
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #18017
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,633
yeah, when the HUD can confirm weapons lock on dumbass car drivers it may be truly useful.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #18018
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,338
What is a sidewalk?

I got a ticket last week for parking on the sidewalk. I was parked in front of my house (where I always have parked for years without issues) and technically on my property (as per my survey) and not on a public sidewalk.

The code defines sidewalk as "that portion of a street, whether paved or unpaved, between the curb lines or the lateral lines of a roadway and the adjacent property lines intended for the use of pedestrians. Where it is not clear which section is intended for the use of pedestrians, the sidewalk will be deemed to be that portion of the street between the building line and the curb."

In my case, it can be argued that it is obvious where the property line is, because there are fences on either side of my property that mark the adjacent property lines, and you would have to go out of your way to walk on the section of concrete that is on my property.

Anyone have any experience with such things? I want to fight it, not for the $115 but over the precedent for being ticketed on my own private property.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #18019
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
drove up/back to bear mountain 4 first time-fun!

i left early-730am-went from riverdale/nw corner bronx, over the gwb top deck onto palisades parkway-gassed up with that cheaper-than-nyc-jersey gas- drove quick all the way up the pip to perkins memorial drive.

i wound my way up to the top and there are two dozen motorcycle and two dozen pedalists (biker? already there)!

real nice view.

i looked over some really sweet bikes, chatted with some of the assembled.

i'm glad i brought a thermos of coffee.

on the way down, i turn thru a "s" curve and to my left is a ...real live BEAR scampering down from the rocks to the road. i stop waaay before i am close, think about pulling out my camera but then remember i'm sitting in the middle of a downhill hill road.

i toot the kawa's silly-sounding horn but that seemed to be enough for the bear to climb back up the rocks.

i then don't know what to do or who to tell.

i head back down the hill.

in a .1 of a mile two guys pedaling up the hill approach. i toot, slow-down and wave. the bike guys are laboring up the hill, see me wave and they now get energized, start pedaling faster and wave back.

jeez louise.

i exhaled and headed over the bear mountain bridge.

i headed south on twisty fun 9a, then bombed my way down the saw mill to the henry hudson and home.

i really enjoyed myself.

it would have been even more wonderful if my M ez-pass didn't pop off the kawa z750s somewhere south of the executive blvd light and the top of the hill which overlooks yonkers.

i parked in the breakdown lane and walked down the hill hoping to spot the M ez-pass but no go.

c'est la vie.

it is not worth getting crazy after such an enjoyable ride.

i need to get out more!

ymmv

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #18020
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Sounds like a great day ..
Hope those two bikers are ok!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #18021
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
Anyone have any experience with such things? I want to fight it, not for the $115 but over the precedent for being ticketed on my own private property.
No directly relevant experience but it sounds like you have a good enough case. Do be sure to being a copy of the survey and lots of pictures from different angles, wide enough to provide sufficient context.

And when it's all over, call the CCRB and file a complaint and perhaps even file trespassing charges.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #18022
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
drove up/back to bear mountain 4 first time-fun!
Sound great. I love that ride. There was a time when I did that almost daily. Terrific de-stressing cruise. Yes, you'll see the occasional bear but usually deer. I wouldn't try to get too close to the bears lest momma bear sees it and gets protective.

As for your E-Z Pass falling off, if you have a half hour to kill and some plastic epoxy I have a suggestion:

The idea is to build up an angled surface where the mounting strips go, so that the angle matches the surface of your windscreen or whatever you have the E-Z Pass mounted to. Trust me it works great. Nothing will shake it loose when those strips mate evenly.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #18023
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Don't they make motorcycle specific Ez passes ? Smaller ones? I'm pretty sure I saw one last week. I'm going to call for mine this week and find out more details.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #18024
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,193
they do. i have one. it's easily half the size of the big square one; however the edges are more rounded and it isn't completely flat on all the planes of the device. but definitely an improvement.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #18025
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Quick google search shows 50% ezpass discount for motorcycles and smaller size tag. Though it looks like it might need to be requested over the normal size tag.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #18026
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
Quick google search shows 50% ezpass discount for motorcycles and smaller size tag. Though it looks like it might need to be requested over the normal size tag.

the smaller sized discount-4-motorcycle ez pass was the one that popped off my bike at the end of this morning's ride.

i had used the supplied velcro tabs and affixed it to a spot on the handlebar riser.

it worked perfectly for 8 months and then suddenly it was gone.

ugh.

ymmv

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #18027
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,573
the smaller one is just the newest one not motorcycle specific. also FYI they are paving the goat path part of bear mountain an dit is closed during the week

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #18028
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post

putting your printer to work?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #18029
CMantis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Anyone near BK Heights have some tools I can borrow? Got home from my ride tonight and one of my exhaust tips was barely hanging on. Need a hex key and small socket wrench or metric wrench to get in there and hopefully I can just tighten it up. Really glad I cut my ride short. Can't seem to catch a break lately.
CMantis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #18030
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
drove quick all the way up the pip to perkins memorial drive.

on the way down, i turn thru a "s" curve and to my left is a ...real live BEAR scampering down from the rocks to the road.

i then don't know what to do or who to tell.
Yeah, that's the official Bear Mt. bear, he works for the state.

You told us, that's enough.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote