ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #18016
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,046
Anyone ever get this on the battery tunnel?

Manhattan bound on Prospect parkway, break left onto the HOV/EZ pass lane (where the barrier is opened only in the morning).

Once you get to the tunnel entrance, the cops manning the tolls wave you to the far right lanes into the tunnel, and won't let you just go straight (which is more the left lanes of the tunnel)

It's as if they want you to be in the slower truck lanes of the tunnel(?)

Is this because they don't honor a bike as an HOV? I see regular cars in front of me not get waved/pushed to the right....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #18017
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
It did, but not enough to make me put my rain jacket on. However I almost dumped it twice: first while parking my left foot found a painted line, then after stopping at a red light, left foot again, found what I assume to have been mid-lane gunk, that time it went pretty far down and I hit my horn and my high-beam switch while wrestling it up.

What do you ride in that had such issues with some light precipitation?
The only issues I had was my wet clothes.
I do need better gear. Just got my bike a few weeks back.
I was in a t shirt that was soaked after the ride.
The only gear I have so far is my helmet and gloves.

The riding itself was fine. It was all local streets for maybe 30 minutes.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #18018
ESPRider
Say what again...

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

Manhattan bound on Prospect parkway, break left onto the HOV/EZ pass lane (where the barrier is opened only in the morning).

Once you get to the tunnel entrance, the cops manning the tolls wave you to the far right lanes into the tunnel, and won't let you just go straight (which is more the left lanes of the tunnel)

Is this because they don't honor a bike as an HOV? I see regular cars in front of me not get waved/pushed to the right....
Happens all the time. My only guess is that they feel it is safer not to have bikes in the bi directional tunnel. However, I've seen bikes sneak past with no ramifications, I chose to sit and wait in the right lanes....ymmv.
I'll admit it hurts when the left tunnel is zooming through.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #18019
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPRider View Post
Happens all the time. My only guess is that they feel it is safer not to have bikes in the bi directional tunnel. However, I've seen bikes sneak past with no ramifications, I chose to sit and wait in the right lanes....ymmv.
I'll admit it hurts when the left tunnel is zooming through.

Thanks, it sort of bugged me after the first few times- that they do this.

FYI saw a bike being pulled over in the tunnel the other day, hipster in a t shirt on a a Japanese cruiser - they made him ride to the city side before allowing him to stop.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #18020
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
It finally rained. After over a week of the weather report completely screwing with my head - they finally got it right .... Nice wet ride home after work.

I enjoyed it but my clothes did not.
Do you guys pack ponchos with you or something?
Any tricks to be more prepared for the rain?

I'm hoping the rain report for tomorrow is wrong.
I have a 9am appointment with BMW to install my new top box.
Some folks use Frogg Toggs or other lightweight rain gear and stash it wherever possible when not needed. Some use moto jackets that have rain liners. Some of us compromise a bit, i.e. this morning no rain so I just wore mesh and jeans for the commute. If it rains later at least I have warm dry clothing at home. I often carry rain gloves as well. My TCX boots are waterproof. On a day like today I make sure I have a few plastic bags leftover from grocery shopping, and use them to stash my wallet, leather belt, etc. so they don't get ruined.

When you get home, put your stuff in front of a fan to speed up drying.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #18021
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
However I almost dumped it twice: first while parking my left foot found a painted line, then after stopping at a red light, left foot again, found what I assume to have been mid-lane gunk, that time it went pretty far down and I hit my horn and my high-beam switch while wrestling it up.
When you ride a two-wheeler you have to be a bit more aware of slippery surfaces, whether stopping or moving. Painted lines, mid-lane gunk (a sea of which tends to accumulate near toll booths), also the nasty mess that garbage trucks leave in their wakes. Then there's the manhole covers and road repair plates, even simple debris in the road can be a huge hazard. Try not to learn the hard way.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #18022
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
When you ride a two-wheeler you have to be a bit more aware of slippery surfaces, whether stopping or moving. Painted lines, mid-lane gunk (a sea of which tends to accumulate near toll booths), also the nasty mess that garbage trucks leave in their wakes. Then there's the manhole covers and road repair plates, even simple debris in the road can be a huge hazard. Try not to learn the hard way.
Yeah, I know, I think I'm getting careless because on the one hand I have a little bit more experience now, on the other, I no longer ride to work every day, as I live too close now.
psychopompos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #18023
abenormal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post

The only gear I have so far is my helmet and gloves.
Get the gear FFS. What size are you? I have an old Joe Rocket mesh jacket you can have if it fits.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #18024
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post

Same happened to me over a year ago, cop waved me over to him and told me not to break down. I was like what?? He explained some guy a few days before broke down midway through the tunnel and they had to go help him push it to the other side causing major delays. He said you break down, you push yourself! And walked away
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #18025
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
On a day like today I make sure I have a few plastic bags leftover from grocery shopping, and use them to stash my wallet, leather belt, etc. so they don't get ruined....
Agree. Keep it simple for commuting in the summer. Since cold is not a problem, all you need to do is keep your cell phone and wallet dry. You are not riding all day in the rain. At worst, you have to get home. Most under an hour of commuting, right? The rain has a nice cooling effect!

Here's my set up. Two zip top baggies in the back pocket for the cell phone and wallet. Also, a $100 gortex rain jacket from Cabella's:

Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #18026
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Same happened to me over a year ago, cop waved me over to him and told me not to break down. I was like what?? He explained some guy a few days before broke down midway through the tunnel and they had to go help him push it to the other side causing major delays. He said you break down, you push yourself! And walked away
I thought about that... Sunday night, I was on a shakedown ride on an old GS450 I just bought and cleaned the carbs. It was running lean (hot) and I didn't have a small enough screwdriver on me to adjust the mixture (yes, stupid, I know- I thought I had one). So, I get on the Brooklyn Bridge, and the oil light comes on. Traffic was horrendous [as usual], so when I got to the point where the bridge flattens out (heading towards Brooklyn), I turned off the engine and Fred Flintstone'd it the remaining 3/4 of the bridge. At one point, I jumped off and ran beside it, but found it easier to duck walk.
So, I was thinking how shitty it would be to break down on a bridge (or tunnel) with no shoulder.
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #18027
psychopompos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I thought about that... Sunday night, I was on a shakedown ride on an old GS450 I just bought and cleaned the carbs. It was running lean (hot) and I didn't have a small enough screwdriver on me to adjust the mixture (yes, stupid, I know- I thought I had one). So, I get on the Brooklyn Bridge, and the oil light comes on. Traffic was horrendous [as usual], so when I got to the point where the bridge flattens out (heading towards Brooklyn), I turned off the engine and Fred Flintstone'd it the remaining 3/4 of the bridge. At one point, I jumped off and ran beside it, but found it easier to duck walk.
So, I was thinking how shitty it would be to break down on a bridge (or tunnel) with no shoulder.
I used to commute through the Lincoln tunnel daily, in the heaviest of traffics. This one time I stalled it, it started right up. I stalled it again, as I was parking it, and it wouldn't start... ever. Well, at least not until it got towed to the dealer, who found that some wire from the better had gotten loose. I don't even want to think about what would've been if that had happened 10 minutes earlier, inside the tunnel.
psychopompos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #18028
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal View Post
Get the gear FFS. What size are you? I have an old Joe Rocket mesh jacket you can have if it fits.
wow what a nice offer thank you.
ill PM you.
mosey.levy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #18029
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Question

so i took the ezpass out of my car for now until i get around to ordering one for my bike (i know its cheaper when i get the motorcycle one but ive been busy!)

anyway, i didnt know where to put it yet this morning so i stuck it in my "trunk" of my GS 650 and ... that didnt work. surprise surprise. got to the lane and had to get it out. luckily everyone was quick about it.

on the way home from the city i wedged it nicely in my windshield ... and again the bar doesnt go up. it was in plain view. is there anything im missing on that one or is that just bad luck?

i know that once in a while in my car the bar doesnt go up either.
(by bar i mean the battery tunnel toll bar).
mosey.levy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #18030
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,587
It works best in the middle of the lane for me...right in the lake of oil

If you do have to stop, be careful where you put your feet