ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #18046
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPRider View Post
Happens all the time. My only guess is that they feel it is safer not to have bikes in the bi directional tunnel. However, I've seen bikes sneak past with no ramifications, I chose to sit and wait in the right lanes....ymmv.
I'll admit it hurts when the left tunnel is zooming through.

Thanks, it sort of bugged me after the first few times- that they do this.

FYI saw a bike being pulled over in the tunnel the other day, hipster in a t shirt on a a Japanese cruiser - they made him ride to the city side before allowing him to stop.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #18047
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
It finally rained. After over a week of the weather report completely screwing with my head - they finally got it right .... Nice wet ride home after work.

I enjoyed it but my clothes did not.
Do you guys pack ponchos with you or something?
Any tricks to be more prepared for the rain?

I'm hoping the rain report for tomorrow is wrong.
I have a 9am appointment with BMW to install my new top box.
Some folks use Frogg Toggs or other lightweight rain gear and stash it wherever possible when not needed. Some use moto jackets that have rain liners. Some of us compromise a bit, i.e. this morning no rain so I just wore mesh and jeans for the commute. If it rains later at least I have warm dry clothing at home. I often carry rain gloves as well. My TCX boots are waterproof. On a day like today I make sure I have a few plastic bags leftover from grocery shopping, and use them to stash my wallet, leather belt, etc. so they don't get ruined.

When you get home, put your stuff in front of a fan to speed up drying.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #18048
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
However I almost dumped it twice: first while parking my left foot found a painted line, then after stopping at a red light, left foot again, found what I assume to have been mid-lane gunk, that time it went pretty far down and I hit my horn and my high-beam switch while wrestling it up.
When you ride a two-wheeler you have to be a bit more aware of slippery surfaces, whether stopping or moving. Painted lines, mid-lane gunk (a sea of which tends to accumulate near toll booths), also the nasty mess that garbage trucks leave in their wakes. Then there's the manhole covers and road repair plates, even simple debris in the road can be a huge hazard. Try not to learn the hard way.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #18049
psychopompos
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Astoria, NY
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
When you ride a two-wheeler you have to be a bit more aware of slippery surfaces, whether stopping or moving. Painted lines, mid-lane gunk (a sea of which tends to accumulate near toll booths), also the nasty mess that garbage trucks leave in their wakes. Then there's the manhole covers and road repair plates, even simple debris in the road can be a huge hazard. Try not to learn the hard way.
Yeah, I know, I think I'm getting careless because on the one hand I have a little bit more experience now, on the other, I no longer ride to work every day, as I live too close now.
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #18050
abenormal
Adventurer
 
abenormal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Jersey City
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post

The only gear I have so far is my helmet and gloves.
Get the gear FFS. What size are you? I have an old Joe Rocket mesh jacket you can have if it fits.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #18051
Domiken
Studly Adventurer
 
Domiken's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Manhattan
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Anyone ever get this on the battery tunnel?

Manhattan bound on Prospect parkway, break left onto the HOV/EZ pass lane (where the barrier is opened only in the morning).

Once you get to the tunnel entrance, the cops manning the tolls wave you to the far right lanes into the tunnel, and won't let you just go straight (which is more the left lanes of the tunnel)

It's as if they want you to be in the slower truck lanes of the tunnel(?)

Is this because they don't honor a bike as an HOV? I see regular cars in front of me not get waved/pushed to the right....
Same happened to me over a year ago, cop waved me over to him and told me not to break down. I was like what?? He explained some guy a few days before broke down midway through the tunnel and they had to go help him push it to the other side causing major delays. He said you break down, you push yourself! And walked away
__________________
www.leananglejeans.com
100% Fully Lined Protective Motorcycle Jeans without looking like a goofball
Domiken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #18052
docgonzo
Old Gadfly
 
docgonzo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
Oddometer: 12,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
On a day like today I make sure I have a few plastic bags leftover from grocery shopping, and use them to stash my wallet, leather belt, etc. so they don't get ruined....
Agree. Keep it simple for commuting in the summer. Since cold is not a problem, all you need to do is keep your cell phone and wallet dry. You are not riding all day in the rain. At worst, you have to get home. Most under an hour of commuting, right? The rain has a nice cooling effect!

Here's my set up. Two zip top baggies in the back pocket for the cell phone and wallet. Also, a $100 gortex rain jacket from Cabella's:

__________________
later, *
docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #18053
JustRon
ex-broadwayron
 
JustRon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Same happened to me over a year ago, cop waved me over to him and told me not to break down. I was like what?? He explained some guy a few days before broke down midway through the tunnel and they had to go help him push it to the other side causing major delays. He said you break down, you push yourself! And walked away
I thought about that... Sunday night, I was on a shakedown ride on an old GS450 I just bought and cleaned the carbs. It was running lean (hot) and I didn't have a small enough screwdriver on me to adjust the mixture (yes, stupid, I know- I thought I had one). So, I get on the Brooklyn Bridge, and the oil light comes on. Traffic was horrendous [as usual], so when I got to the point where the bridge flattens out (heading towards Brooklyn), I turned off the engine and Fred Flintstone'd it the remaining 3/4 of the bridge. At one point, I jumped off and ran beside it, but found it easier to duck walk.
So, I was thinking how shitty it would be to break down on a bridge (or tunnel) with no shoulder.
__________________
2010 520RR
1982 GS450TX
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #18054
psychopompos
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Astoria, NY
Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I thought about that... Sunday night, I was on a shakedown ride on an old GS450 I just bought and cleaned the carbs. It was running lean (hot) and I didn't have a small enough screwdriver on me to adjust the mixture (yes, stupid, I know- I thought I had one). So, I get on the Brooklyn Bridge, and the oil light comes on. Traffic was horrendous [as usual], so when I got to the point where the bridge flattens out (heading towards Brooklyn), I turned off the engine and Fred Flintstone'd it the remaining 3/4 of the bridge. At one point, I jumped off and ran beside it, but found it easier to duck walk.
So, I was thinking how shitty it would be to break down on a bridge (or tunnel) with no shoulder.
I used to commute through the Lincoln tunnel daily, in the heaviest of traffics. This one time I stalled it, it started right up. I stalled it again, as I was parking it, and it wouldn't start... ever. Well, at least not until it got towed to the dealer, who found that some wire from the better had gotten loose. I don't even want to think about what would've been if that had happened 10 minutes earlier, inside the tunnel.
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #18055
mosey.levy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mosey.levy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal View Post
Get the gear FFS. What size are you? I have an old Joe Rocket mesh jacket you can have if it fits.
wow what a nice offer thank you.
ill PM you.
mosey.levy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #18056
mosey.levy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mosey.levy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 242
Question

so i took the ezpass out of my car for now until i get around to ordering one for my bike (i know its cheaper when i get the motorcycle one but ive been busy!)

anyway, i didnt know where to put it yet this morning so i stuck it in my "trunk" of my GS 650 and ... that didnt work. surprise surprise. got to the lane and had to get it out. luckily everyone was quick about it.

on the way home from the city i wedged it nicely in my windshield ... and again the bar doesnt go up. it was in plain view. is there anything im missing on that one or is that just bad luck?

i know that once in a while in my car the bar doesnt go up either.
(by bar i mean the battery tunnel toll bar).
mosey.levy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #18057
devo2002
-Devo
 
devo2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,299
It works best in the middle of the lane for me...right in the lake of oil

If you do have to stop, be careful where you put your feet
__________________
12' Triumph Scrambler

"we as riders stick together as no matter what ur race maybe!!!!"
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #18058
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!
 
The Jerk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
so i took the ezpass out of my car for now until i get around to ordering one for my bike (i know its cheaper when i get the motorcycle one but ive been busy!)

anyway, i didnt know where to put it yet this morning so i stuck it in my "trunk" of my GS 650 and ... that didnt work. surprise surprise. got to the lane and had to get it out. luckily everyone was quick about it.

on the way home from the city i wedged it nicely in my windshield ... and again the bar doesnt go up. it was in plain view. is there anything im missing on that one or is that just bad luck?

i know that once in a while in my car the bar doesnt go up either.
(by bar i mean the battery tunnel toll bar).
Might be time for a new tag. There is a little battery inside and as it starts to die you will have more and more trouble with reads at the toll plazas. Just request a new one from them and send that one back in.

On your windscreen is the best place to mount it. Try to mimic its position as it would be on a car windshield for best results.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #18059
kenny61
Crazy Idiot
 
kenny61's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: First Place or Bust! in 2014
Oddometer: 22,496
__________________
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #18060
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
It works best in the middle of the lane for me...right in the lake of oil

If you do have to stop, be careful where you put your feet
Hobson's choice, of sorts. Either your tires are in the oil or your feet are.

As for motorcycles and tunnels, one of the reasons I quit my last job was getting stuck in a couple of jams in the Lincoln Tunnel on my VFR, which ended up overheating even with oil and water cooling. Although I have to point out that in my case (from Queens), it took the same amount of time to detour all the way up to the the George Washington Bridge and come back down as it did to slice and dice my way through midtown traffic. And it was easier on my nerves too.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014