ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #18121
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,825
Motorcycle -only traffic stops...

Those of you who receive the checkpoint alerts may have gathered by now that there has been an enforcement detail going on for several days on the upper east side, generally in the 70s to 90s from the East River to around 3rd Avenue. Precinct cars and scooters are chasing and pulling over any motorcycle or scooter 250cc or larger and checking paperwork.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #18122
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
That is some real BS.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #18123
BrooklynOffRoader
Concrete or the Dirt.

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Those of you who receive the checkpoint alerts may have gathered by now that there has been an enforcement detail going on for several days on the upper east side, generally in the 70s to 90s from the East River to around 3rd Avenue. Precinct cars and scooters are chasing and pulling over any motorcycle or scooter 250cc or larger and checking paperwork.

I'm sure when they see the Dickheads doing wheelies on 85cc and 125cc 2 Strokes they done even bother. They only harass the guy who looks like he wont run. Then make it look like there doing the city some good. Total BS!

CHIP
BrooklynOffRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #18124
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:

Sounds like the 19th Precinct commander is running his own anti-motorcycle op.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr...inct_019.shtml

Quote:
Community Council

President: Nick Viest
Meetings: The precinct community council meets the first Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the precinct station house. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call us at (212) 452-0613. Thank you for your support.

Anyone want to join me?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #18125
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

Anyone want to join me?

BTW, when we talk about this, how about we call it what it is:

Motorcycle Stop-and-Frisk

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #18126
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Those of you who receive the checkpoint alerts may have gathered by now that there has been an enforcement detail going on for several days on the upper east side.....
Brad, great video. Surprised that they let you tape the encounter. Probably didn't know you had your GoPro on. Did it make you nervous that they both had their right hands on their revolvers? I had the feeling that if you twitched the wrong way, they'd "plug" you!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #18127
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Brad, great video. Surprised that they let you tape the encounter. Probably didn't know you had your GoPro on. Did it make you nervous that they both had their right hands on their revolvers? I had the feeling that if you twitched the wrong way, they'd "plug" you!
I have been stopped 4 times by these checkpoints, only one I got a ticket for... wait for it.... Non DOT glasses. I got the ticket removed since it was BS.

Regarding the hands on the heater.. that happened to me 3 out of the 4 times, really unprofessional if you ask me... Especially since the first thing they do is approach you and yank your keys out of the ignition...

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #18128
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Anyone want to join me?
Hello Brad, I can attend. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can meet up prior to the meeting and come in with a strategy.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #18129
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
BTW, when we talk about this, how about we call it what it is:

Bingo, truer words were never spoken.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #18130
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,352
I got stopped three times. The first time, I was with my wife on my R1200GSA near the QB in Manhattan. I couldn't find any paperwork for my bike (I forgot I had moved it to under the seat). They let me go without an issue.

The second time, I got the protective eyewear ticket, at the foot of the WB. I had a 3/4 helmet and non-ANSI sunglasses.

The third time, I got the eyewear ticket at Atlantic and BBB. I was wearing a Roof Boxer helmet with the chin bar up and the visor down. Cop insisted the visor was up, and gave me a lecture on how I'm endangering myself and others by not wearing proper eyewear (on my 70cc Honda Passport).

Notice all of these incidents were on bridge thoroughfares.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #18131
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynOffRoader View Post
I'm sure when they see the Dickheads doing wheelies on 85cc and 125cc 2 Strokes they done even bother. They only harass the guy who looks like he wont run. Then make it look like there doing the city some good. Total BS!
I've been referring to this bullshit as simple theater. Makes the cops look useful to the ignorant masses, at our collective expense.

Quote:
Anyone want to join me?
Yeah. Call or email me to coordinate. I'll bring the single malt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Brad, great video. Surprised that they let you tape the encounter. Probably didn't know you had your GoPro on.
I'm sure the bright red light on the Contour Roam 2 was not a give-away.

Nothing illegal about recording these encounters. I have considered disabling the tally light, but I am actually hoping some douche will make an issue of the helmet cam so I can have a reason to bring the ACLU into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachard View Post
Regarding the hands on the heater.. that happened to me 3 out of the 4 times, really unprofessional if you ask me... Especially since the first thing they do is approach you and yank your keys out of the ignition...
I think a lot of cops just naturally prop their hands on their handguns and whatever else is on their belts even when they're not on high alert. Until I see an index finger crouched over a trigger guard I don't care.

All that being said, I wish to point out that while it's ridiculous, offensive and as far as I'm concerned unconstitutional to be singled out repeatedly for no other reason than being a motorcyclist, this particular traffic stop was conducted in a very professional matter. They didn't freak out when I maneuvered into a more convenient place. I turned off the bike but kept my keys in the ignition and nobody ever reached for them. I never took off my helmet and nobody cared. I didn't get forced to listen to some stupid LEO lecture. No comments were made about the helmet cam and all my questions were answered in a cooperative manner, even if the thing about people other than we motorcyclists getting killed is bullshit as far as I know (and surely as far as they know too, judging by the "tells" particularly from the cop on the left). The officers were never aggressive or threatening.

YMMV.

Remember to report checkpoints and motorcycle enforcement details like this into the Checkpoint Alert System.

-Brad
Old 08-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #18132
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,228
For those who need to make plans, the NY Motorcycle Show at the Javits will be Dec. 13, 14, 15 this year.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #18133
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
I wonder if the camera gave you an advantage here. If Youtube was flooded with these NYPD MC stop and frisk Vids they may reconsider their policies. time to buy a DriftHD me thinks
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #18134
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEIRMOOR View Post
I wonder if the camera gave you an advantage here. If Youtube was flooded with these NYPD MC stop and frisk Vids they may reconsider their policies. time to buy a DriftHD me thinks
Got pulled over in another one of these fucking checkpoints tonite at 7th Ave & 47th Street. I'm told this too is an ongoing thing. These bozos did ask for my key, then demanded I move the bike to the curb. I told 'em "No. If you want to move it, you can do it." After some back and forth they gave me the key long enough to move the bike to the side. Then they offered to "cut me a break" and not punish me for crimes I have not committed. Gee, thanks.

Gimme a day or so to get the newest video edited and uploaded...
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #18135
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:

snip
i am suppose to receive the alerts. 8 in june. for july i received one on the 2nd and one on the 31st. so far one for august on the 3rd, looks like your most recent one. your wording leads me to believe there have been more. have there? how come i don't get all? am i getting only yours for some reason?