ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #18451
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Recently moved to Sunnyside and maybe I'm paranoid but it seems Queens Boulevard claimed a half dozen motorcycle victims this summer. It certainly makes me pause and think when I ride in the city.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #18452
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Recently moved to Sunnyside and maybe I'm paranoid but it seems Queens Boulevard claimed a half dozen motorcycle victims this summer. It certainly makes me pause and think when I ride in the city.
Not just motorcyclists. I think the stretch from around where Roosevelt/Greenpoint Ave. crosses Queens Blvd. to around 69th St. is one of the deadliest stretches of roads in NYC. That hill is easy to speed down, and pedestrians (and sometimes cars) can't get always get across the Blvd. fast enough. The area in Sunnyside itslef is bad because it's hard to see cars crossing the Blvd. under the elevated 7 train.

I lived on Skillman and 46th for a while.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #18453
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
This is just scary.
How many people die a day from riding?
Does it make anyone think twice before getting back on ?
According to the latest reliable data I could find (2010), 4502 motorcyclists were killed in crashes that year.

4502 / 365 = 12

So in the USA you can say that roughly 12 people every day die riding motorcycles.

For comparison's sake, in that same year 22,187 people died in passenger vehicle crashes (defined as passenger cars and light trucks) which works out to about 60 people per day in the USA. Of course there are a lot more people out there in cars and light trucks than there are on motorcycles.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #18454
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
According to the latest reliable data I could find (2010), 4502 motorcyclists were killed in crashes that year.

4502 / 365 = 12

So in the USA you can say that roughly 12 people every day die riding motorcycles.

For comparison's sake, in that same year 22,187 people died in passenger vehicle crashes (defined as passenger cars and light trucks) which works out to about 60 people per day in the USA. Of course there are a lot more people out there in cars and light trucks than there are on motorcycles.
So motorcyclists represent 20% of the deaths but only around 5% of traffic, so have four times the death rate. Sounds about right?

PS did you receive my PM here?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #18455
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Got a ticket in a muni spot in downtown BK. Can I send my receipt in the orange envelope, or do I need to use my own? Also, do I send the original, or is a copy sufficient?
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #18456
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
Got a ticket in a muni spot in downtown BK. Can I send my receipt in the orange envelope, or do I need to use my own? Also, do I send the original, or is a copy sufficient?
You don't need to send anything to the Department of Piracy. Take a digital picture, wait a day or two for the DOF's computers to show your summons on-line, dispute the summons on-line, and after you've completed the dispute page there's a page to upload supporting evidence. Upload the pic of the receipt.

If you feel the need to mail something, keep the original and mail a copy!

Rectaltronics screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 09:53 AM
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #18457
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Thanks for the info.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #18458
dominican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
So, after reading the many, many pages that this thread has, I've come away more angry and bothered than anything else.

I started riding 2 years ago, and this year, after buying an NC700X, I've ridden 10000 miles, in and around NYC, since March 9th (the day I bought it). Up until a month ago, and about 2k miles ago, all I had in terms of troubles were three parking tickets, all of which I fought and won. Now, in the last month, I've been pulled over 4 times, and I'm asking myself, wtf?!

My riding habits have gotten better, as in I now ride slower and safer than I did back in May and June. I'd say that back in June, when I was riding in excess of 800 miles per week through Manhattan and into Queens, I was at the peak of my speed and stupidity. Now, I have slowed down, and gotten safer. Why then am I getting pulled over so much more, after I've slowed down? Has police activity really picked up that much in the last month?! I am definitely getting fed up with the LEO...

Anyway, speaking of Queens BLVD, I've gone up and down that road too many times, and if you are alert and assume you're only a second away from certain, painful, death, then you're alright. The road that I swore I'd never take, though, is Northern Blvd. That is a deathtrap, with huge bumps, big potholes, unpredictable traffic, cops, etc... Had two close calls there when I was on my way to Flushing, now I take FDR to 59th street bridge, to Van Dam street, then BQE to Grand Central. I get to take a little bit of Northern Blvd next to the stadium, but at least it's not the whole deathtrap.

I have to say, in those 10k miles I've ridden this Spring and Summer so far, I haven't had that many close calls, I have had more considerate cagers get out of my way than cagers that yell at me as I go by them lane splitting. There have been instances where I've been ran off the road, mistakenly and forcefully, but I handled those alright, and really, most of the time, most people are pretty good about treating you right, just as long as you get out of their way and keep going.

Also, rectaltronics, thanks for all that you do for us bikers. I have my own way of dealing with tickets and LEO, but your way is the noble way. I commend that.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #18459
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
So, after reading the many, many pages that this thread has, I've come away more angry and bothered than anything else.

I started riding 2 years ago, and this year, after buying an NC700X, I've ridden 10000 miles, in and around NYC, since March 9th (the day I bought it). Up until a month ago, and about 2k miles ago, all I had in terms of troubles were three parking tickets, all of which I fought and won. Now, in the last month, I've been pulled over 4 times, and I'm asking myself, wtf?!

My riding habits have gotten better, as in I now ride slower and safer than I did back in May and June. I'd say that back in June, when I was riding in excess of 800 miles per week through Manhattan and into Queens, I was at the peak of my speed and stupidity. Now, I have slowed down, and gotten safer. Why then am I getting pulled over so much more, after I've slowed down? Has police activity really picked up that much in the last month?! I am definitely getting fed up with the LEO...

Anyway, speaking of Queens BLVD, I've gone up and down that road too many times, and if you are alert and assume you're only a second away from certain, painful, death, then you're alright. The road that I swore I'd never take, though, is Northern Blvd. That is a deathtrap, with huge bumps, big potholes, unpredictable traffic, cops, etc... Had two close calls there when I was on my way to Flushing, now I take FDR to 59th street bridge, to Van Dam street, then BQE to Grand Central. I get to take a little bit of Northern Blvd next to the stadium, but at least it's not the whole deathtrap.

I have to say, in those 10k miles I've ridden this Spring and Summer so far, I haven't had that many close calls, I have had more considerate cagers get out of my way than cagers that yell at me as I go by them lane splitting. There have been instances where I've been ran off the road, mistakenly and forcefully, but I handled those alright, and really, most of the time, most people are pretty good about treating you right, just as long as you get out of their way and keep going.

Also, rectaltronics, thanks for all that you do for us bikers. I have my own way of dealing with tickets and LEO, but your way is the noble way. I commend that.
Welcome to the madness that is NYC commuting and congrats on a good first post. 10k miles is a decent amount of miles. Continue ton ride safe..
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #18460
Looksgoodinblack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
If I thought just once, I wouldn't!

OTOH folk die every day from all kinds of stuff including automobile collisions. Did you read about the guy who got killed by his scale model helicopter?

Everyone draws the line somewhere. We all draw it where we choose and pray for the best.
The RC helicopter thing. 19 years old teenager of polish descent. His dad was watching him die... Thats something I can't imagine dealing with.
'04 DL 650, '87 BMW K75 with Hannigan Astro Sports car, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #18461
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbloc View Post
Can I send my receipt in the orange envelope, or do I need to use my own?
Regardless of mailing originals (bad idea) or copies (good idea)...DO NOT mail anything in the orange envelope if you are pleading not guilty.

The orange envelope is for guilty pleads only. AND GOES TO A DIFFERENT ADDRESS, which you will learn when you read the entire prose of the back of the ticket.

So yeah you will need your own envelope so that you can sent it to the correct addy which is listed on the back of the ticket. Though why not save your 45 cents and take the digital route as suggested!

-Eff, who has beaten every NYC parking ticket this year so far. And 85% last year.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #18462
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent View Post
Regardless of mailing originals (bad idea) or copies (good idea)...DO NOT mail anything in the orange envelope if you are pleading not guilty.

The orange envelope is for guilty pleads only. AND GOES TO A DIFFERENT ADDRESS, which you will learn when you read the entire prose of the back of the ticket.

So yeah you will need your own envelope so that you can sent it to the correct addy which is listed on the back of the ticket. Though why not save your 45 cents and take the digital route as suggested!

-Eff, who has beaten every NYC parking ticket this year so far. And 85% last year.
I used to put black marker over the address and barcode on the orange envelope and write the correct address for a not-guilty plea.

Digital is good for a lot of defenses now though.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #18463
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post

Thanks Dominican. I feel the same way. Angry and bothered. And from what I can tell there's no use to what the cops are doing. The folks who ride illegally just become more belligerent and more likely to do something dangerous when facing LEOs. And some folks who ride legally end up dissuaded from riding altogether. I don't see anything positive in what they are doing.

Whatever you do as far as LEOs, don't take any unnecessary chances. And if you get the sense that you're being subjected to motorcycles-only treatment from the cops, please report it:

http://www.nymstf.org/cas

FWIW the only collisions I've ever had with other motor vehicles that were not entirely my own fault were on Queens Boulevard and Northern Boulevard.

And yeah, everyone once in a while there's some redneck or other dufus who doesn't want me to go by but on most trips to/from Manhattan there's at least a dozen who make sure I have room to pass.

Take care and ride safe,
Brad
Old 09-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #18464
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 323
RIP Geno

I got the story from his brother. The car took an illegal left turn across solid double yellow line. This was not at an intersection it was in the middle of the block so he never expected it. His body hit the car and crushed his chest. Never had a chance. It sucks that so many fatalities are the left turn in front of you. Many times you are in a position to be ready for it but I don't think that was the case in this accident. Thanks to you FFer's for finding the story for me.
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #18465
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
That's really sad. I'm sorry.