ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #18796
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
I just want to stop back and say thanks for the advice I got here in this thread a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to that advice, I rode into Manhattan from about 45 miles out in NJ on my KLR. I think I saw only about three other bikes that whole day inside the city.

The scale of NYC is deceiving; lots of people, but a small footprint compared to many other cities. Before I realized it, I could see all the way to the Trade Center site from 20th!!! Street.
Didn't see many bikes? Should have stuck around for the Block Party, see previous comments and video.

Small footprint? You only saw Manhattan, the smallest of the 5 boros.

Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #18797
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Didn't see many bikes? Should have stuck around for the Block Party, see previous comments and video.

Small footprint? You only saw Manhattan, the smallest of the 5 boros.

Glad you enjoyed your stay!
Any idea how far back the block party video is? Ten posts or fifty or one-hundred?

EDIT: If you're talking about this, I found it:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=18773

No matter, though, I was in NYC for a specific reason and even if I wasn't I wouldn't ride with people who have no idea what the little yellow lines on the highway center are for. Congested urban areas demand closer conformance to regulations.

Yeah. Small footprint compared to the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cities_by_area

But the above link "proving" my point treats my comment too literally, as does your objection. NYC's city blocks are also smaller than those in many other cities. They have to be in order to allow access for those living there. That's not an insult to NYC... it's just an informal observation. Literalists need not get their shorts bunched over the comment.

Snowbird screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 06:33 AM
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #18798
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '14

Oddometer: 1,813
Snowbird, I think you missed his main point: he's glad you enjoyed your stay!

Footprint-wise Manhattan is 7% of NYC (33 sq miles of 468 sq miles). Sounds like that is all you saw. So forgive us if we take your suggestion that NYC has a small footprint as well kinda silly. Actually, land-wise, Manhattan is only 22 sq miles. So yeah, that's relatively tiny. I think if you had said, "Ya know, you hear so much about Manhattan but it is actually tinier than I thought!" everyone could have related/agreed.

Also you won't be saying the City's blocks are smaller than other cities after traversing Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn: it's 11 fucking miles long!

It is interesting that your list excluded water in footprints (which is a third of NYC). We're about 300 sq miles of land. With water, we are closer to 500 sq miles. Hell, we have one of the world's largest natural harbors but you probably didn't get to see that. You should: it's awesome!

Factor in the "rest" of NYC and we're moved "halfway up" your chart...to the top dozen. Not bad considering there at close to 20,000 cities in the US. Also not bad considering some of the "competition" are Alaskan 2,000+ sq mile cities that include glaciers!

When you coming back to see the rest? I know a spot in Brooklyn where the pasta con le sarde is so good you'll cry: it's basically Sicily on a plate!

Effervescent screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 07:21 AM
Effervescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #18799
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Brad, I think it's obvious here that these motorcyclists in NYC were out of control, and that there was LESS police involvement at the beginning then was needed. Laws often inconvenience the innocent in order to keep the sociopaths under control.

Perhaps your organization (http://www.nymstf.org) should focus on the clubs responsible? Do you visit with these clubs and explain the negative effect they have on the law-abiding motorcycle enthusiasts in the NYC area? Speak one-on-one with the officers of these clubs?

Ragging on the police at this point in time seems mis-directed, considering this recent event.
Well DUH, these guys were completely out of control. Geez, Doc.

And if anything the police deserve more ragging about this. When you start putting together the NYPD's statements and the evidence (i.e. the pathetically inadequate number of officers deployed when the NYPD knew damn well what was coming), it becomes clear that they could have stopped this event almost completely but instead let this event happen, and their big goal was merely to keep this mob out of Times Square.

So yeah, let 'em rape and pillage the whole city one boro at a time but heaven forbid they make it down 7th Avenue. Nice work Kelly!!!

Meanwhile please, please explain to me how pulling ME over, and then minutes later just watching as hundreds of conspicuous outlaws just whiz by unabated, accomplished anything at all in terms of keeping these sociopaths under control.

Let's see how creative you can get.

BTW I've spoken to a few of these boneheads and they have no interest in anything that smacks of being good citizens, nor do they give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of them or how their behavior affects others. But the good news is, at least they were nice enough to wait until I was gone to laugh about me/us. Only way to speak to them is through a set of hardened steel bars. But thanks so much for the inept and futile suggestion. We'll be sure to keep it on file for later...
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #18800
hurielg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I work in NYC and went to college in Newark...I've seen this type of behavior ALL OF THE TIME, whether it was related to motorcycles, street racing in cars, or a mob harassing innocent by-standers in the subway. I have tried to intervene before, trying to stop it from happening and have been caught in the middle.

All I can say is SH*T HAPPENS. If what I have been reading online is true, and the man ran over by the Rover was on the green Kawi, he did not have to do what he did. The Rover tapped the guy on the white bike, then they all stop and you can see the guy in the purple shirt (green Kawi) come over from the front, a few bikes ahead of the Rover, to go "do something". That something could have been to see what was going on, or to calm the situation, or to start a situation, or to join what was going to happen which someone else might have started. In doing that, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Mob mentality sets in and you are not yourself anymore.

From the driver's POV, I would not have stopped. I would have seen them coming from behind and I would have moved to the right lane to let them pass. It happens all of the time on Route 1, I-95 and I-295, all of which I travel daily. In any case, the driver was in the middle and was harassed. I have no idea what the guy in the white bike is doing. It seems he was trying to intimidate the driver. Maybe the driver gave him the finger, no one knows except for them. I don't blame the driver for what he did. HE felt threatened, and acted according to what he thought was best for him at the time. No one knows if he has ever faced such a stressful situation before.

Anyways, SH*T HAPPENS and someone said it here already, but I will repeat it, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. It's sad to see what happened here, from both sides. Hopefully the bikers do not retaliate further against the driver.
hurielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #18801
pgh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
hollywood block party

The Hollywood block party incident lead the Today show on NBC this morning. It was 3rd behind sequestration and something else I don't remember. The video and the fact that there was a baby in the car have made this a high profile story.
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #18802
hurielg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
The Hollywood block party incident lead the Today show on NBC this morning. It was 3rd behind sequestration and something else I don't remember. The video and the fact that there was a baby in the car have made this a high profile story.
That and some of the articles online stating "...a wealthy individual and his Range Rover..." have made it popular.
hurielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #18803
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 108
And the arrest...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...rtner=nbcnews&

Excerpt:
The motorcyclist charged Tuesday was the one who allegedly slowed down in front of the Range Rover carrying the dad, his wife and his toddler on the West Side Highway Sunday. The biker ended up being run over by the SUV trying to flee, and his leg was broken.

The man arrested is charged with reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #18804
Speedo66
Transient

Another article about the arrest and search for others:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1472419

Old 10-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #18805
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post

h Literalists need not get their shorts bunched over the comment.
No malice was intended, sorry if it came across that way. Should have added smilies.

Seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #18806
pgh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzl View Post

The man arrested is charged with reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.
For what it's worth, it would seem these are misdemeanors.
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #18807
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
For what it's worth, it would seem these are misdemeanors.
Depends on what degree he was charged with. Reck. End. 1 is a D Felony.

You can get up to a year in Rikers for an A Misd., which Reck. End. 2, and the child endangerment charge are.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #18808
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petzl View Post
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...rtner=nbcnews&

Excerpt:
The motorcyclist charged Tuesday was the one who allegedly slowed down in front of the Range Rover carrying the dad, his wife and his toddler on the West Side Highway Sunday. The biker ended up being run over by the SUV trying to flee, and his leg was broken.

Excellent news. He will learn that stupid actions have consequences. These asshats terrorizing and intimidating everyone on the roads is disgusting.

The driver should have recognized the danger around him earlier and tried to slow down / pull over and get off the highway. But if faced with the same situation where my family was in the car and being threatened by mob lynching, I would have done the same thing and mowed through the crowd. I feel sorry for the driver and the overall riding community.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #18809
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
Broken leg?

http://instagram.com/p/e5uuWsCSx3/

That's the victim that was run over on the highway- not the guy that was hit initially, but run over when everyone stopped. Paralyzed from the waist down. Thanks NYPD for not reporting this during the press conference, which is why none of the news outlets picked it up.

Jay is on the green kawi in the video.
Guess he shouldn't have tried to box in an SUV while his thug buddies in helmets and armor try to beat down a guy with his wife and kid. Fuck him. You make bad decisions; you live with the easily foreseeable consequences.

The Jerk screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 09:19 AM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #18810
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Guess he shouldn't have tried to box in an SUV while his thug buddies in helmets and armor try to beat down a guy with his wife and kid. Fuck him. You make bad decisions; you live with the easily foreseeable consequences.
Guarantee some ambulance chasers are already beating a path to his hospital room. "It's not your fault. You need to sue to right this injustice."