ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #19111
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Does anyone know a place I can take this to get repaired--if it is even worth it...

It seems to run fine, and I bent the hood back down--The fenders aren't really damaged--and neither is the bumper. It seems like the headlight and grill retaining panel took the brunt of the impact-- How much does this sort of thing cost? $600? $3000?

I want to fix it with a rope and a Jeep to pull out the bent metal, but the girlfriend says NO!
What do you do? Sideswipe the shit out of the asshole that fucked with your bike ya moran.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #19112
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Walk on the hood to straighten it, a couple of bungies to hold it down, throw a couple of motorcycle headlights on the bumper, and run it till it dies.

Perfect "I don't give a shit" city car.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #19113
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
I told her I'd pull out the steel with a rope and then put foglight in...

Okay, car is gone I guess. Should we just pop the thing up on eBay and have someone come get it?
Depends on what it's worth to you.

Any decent used car to replace it's gonna be more than that repair (unless you get real lucky)....

Why not just get junk yard hood etc, and ebay lens parts and keep it as a city beater?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #19114
rutard
Magnanimous Madcap

Oddometer: 326
Pulled Over Today...

Riding North on Broadway by Columbia Univ.
NYPD unmarked unit appears in mirror.
It's gaining quickly.
Pull from right to center lane.
He slows down next to me.
Tells me to give him my license.
He won't let me pull out of traffic first?
Pull wallet out.
Gloves are a bitch.
Slide ID out.
Ordered to pull out of traffic.

Why?
"Improper Eyewear"
What?? Look here...these are stamped ANSI Z87.1
"No, I've studied the code. There needs to be foam around the edges."
Foam?
"Yeah, foam. They don't teach it in the DMV courses. But it's the law."

Back to his car for 10mins.
Comes out w. ticket.
I push back hard.
But, either my phone or the NYS DMV site isn't credible.

I thank him
for wasting my time
in French.

His offer to continue to waste my time is accepted.
We check my blinkers, brake lights, and helmet.
He misses the non-functioning horn,
and that I was using two headphones buds.

But, at least he was able to ticket me for the glasses.

Uckf You Foam.

I <3 NYC.
rutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #19115
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,333
I had the same a few years back. I was wearing a Roof Boxer without a DOT sticker and they looked over it and shook their heads for a minute, but couldn't find anything wrong so they gave me a ticket for having the visor up.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #19116
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 466
Yesterday

I was splitting lanes downtown Baltimore, next to the downtown precinct with cops everywhere carrying lunch and walking about. Illegal turn gets me pass couple of cops, onto one way, I stop at the light in a lane that stops because there are cars parked next block over blocking the path. Cops are slowly walking by me and I started questioning whether I mounted the license plate on the bike since I worked on it last or not. Even if I had, it's really just a half of the plate that didn't break while doing stupid shit.

Light turns green and I cut in front of the speeding truck only to be pulled over by one of those cops that walked by me. My thoughts "wow, I'm getting pulled over?! In the city?! Must be no plate thing".

Cop ' this ain't your play ground, you just pulled up front left turning lane in front of that truck.'

Me ' oh, I guess..hold on, that's not a turning lane, it's a one way there, you can't turn..'

Cop 'oh yeah. License and registration. Don't mouth back to me'

Other cop ' he is right Ryan, it's a one way, that's usually open off traffic hours.'

Cop one 'alright, whatever, you can go'

I pop my earphones in, off road helmet on, and by that time they have walked half a block ahead of me...I rode by them and cop one waved a friendly wave at me; I waved back.

I guess they saw I was just minding my own business. Up there is a like a different world. Sounds like it's just gonna be more of it, too.
Toon bad riding was really easy way to get around the big city.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #19117
hitmanlol
Cotor Myclist

Oddometer: 868
was pulled over again today, this time by two cops that flanked me on motorcycles. cop said my license plate was bent up. It wasn't. checked my papers. let me go. no ticket.

hitmanlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #19118
msb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
was pulled over again today, this time by two cops that flanked me on motorcycles. cop said my license plate was bent up. It wasn't. checked my papers. let me go. no ticket.

wtf?
msb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #19119
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanlol View Post
Guess I better not come into the city with my street bike anymore. The police officers might not like the license plate, or the lack of turn signals (I only ride it during the day, and use hand signals in NJ, which is totally legal)....

Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #19120
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutard View Post
"Improper Eyewear"
What?? Look here...these are stamped ANSI Z87.1
"No, I've studied the code. There needs to be foam around the edges."
Foam?
"Yeah, foam. They don't teach it in the DMV courses. But it's the law."
I read stuff like this and it makes me so angry I actually feel dizzy.

Cop is full of shit.

I suggest - no, wait, I INSIST, that you call or write the CCRB (Civilian Complaint Review Board) pronto while everything is still fresh in your memory.

Good grief...

If they want war then we need to give them a fucking war.

Seriously folks, every little bullshit lie they use, file a complaint. No mercy. No matter what the finding, that complaint stays in their file. Rack 'em up.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #19121
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 595
I pick up the 2 stroke this weekend, I wonder what all the smoke will get me.

By the way, if anyone is interested in taking over our lease on a Pearl White Fiat 500 Pop 5-Speed for the city, 1.5yrs left on it. Comes with a hitch. New addition to the family so need a bigger vehicle.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #19122
GSXF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
I read stuff like this and it makes me so angry I actually feel dizzy.

Cop is full of shit.

I suggest - no, wait, I INSIST, that you call or write the CCRB (Civilian Complaint Review Board) pronto while everything is still fresh in your memory.

Good grief...

If they want war then we need to give them a fucking war.

Seriously folks, every little bullshit lie they use, file a complaint. No mercy. No matter what the finding, that complaint stays in their file. Rack 'em up.
I second, third and forth that, please file the compliant, especially when they start to write their own law, which they do all the time.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #19123
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,589
around 11:pm went to top off the oil on one of the bikes last night. opposite side of the street i see two guys trying to load a harley onto the bed of a tacoma. i walk back to the light to cross over. (yes i use crosswalks and even wait for the light) watching the mean while the somewhat comical couple of attempts to get the bike up in the bed. they are using 2 fold up ramps. i get over by them and stand there on the sidewalk a couple minutes staring at them. thinking how best to word my question. i wind up just asking if this was there bike. the one guy says yes. they back the bike up some more to get another running start. i'm thinking that doesn't really prove anything. then one guy goes and adjusts the ramps while the other reaches in his pocket and puts the key in the ignition and tries to start the bike. cranks but does not start. i'm thinking thats good enough proof. then they are taking another attempt at getting up the ramp. they make it about 3/4 of the way. i set down the oil in my hand and step over to give that extra push to get it on the truck. they thank me and i say that i was trying to think of how to word asking for proof that it was theirs and when he had pulled the key that it was good enough in my mind. the guy who had said it was his said i could have asked for his registration and he would have showed it to me. he says thanks for looking out. i mentioned that i have a couple bikes currently on the street and have had one previously stolen right on that corner. getting the bike up and that bit of conversation takes only about a minute. right on cue a patrol car comes speeding around the corner and parks in the middle of the street by us. four officers get out and walk over to us. the one says we got a report that someone was stealing a bike. the three of us look at each other and smile. another one says no really. while i tell the first one that i live in the neighborhood and had literally just came over and asked them for proof that it was their bike to make sure they weren't stealing it. the guy who had claimed it was his bike was reaching in his wallet for proof that he showed the second officer. after the officers were satisfied i cracked a comment that the difference between them asking and me was that i had given a hand loading the bike after. one of the others replied we are civil servants and we see the job is already done properly. smiles all around. the four get back in their car and leave.

so even with all that is going on thanks NYPD and my neighbors . glad to know you are looking out for us.

added the oil to the bike and then drove it over to where they were still tying down the bike. as i backed into the spot his bike i was in i say oh look a parking spot just opened up. more smiles all around.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #19124
hitmike
sucio debutante

Oddometer: 305
NPR is taking calls from motorcyclists right now. Rights and responsibilities are being discussed in light of recent events.
03 450 EXC
hitmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #19125
GY1616
New Inmate

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
...thanks NYPD and my neighbors ... glad to know you are looking out for us.
Good on you! I also keep an eye on pesky parallel parking bozos who try to fit in next to a bike. If it gets too close, the camera comes out!
GY1616 is offline   Reply With Quote