ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #19546
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
What makes you think these "illegals" even want to see dirt?

And seriously, you think they own vans, and all the required gear?

Lol
Screw the illegal riders. This is for US.
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #19547
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 10,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
What makes you think these "illegals" even want to see dirt?

And seriously, you think they own vans, and all the required gear?

Lol
In between LOLz you might want to consider that if they never have a chance to ride dirtbikes legally, we'll never know if they're interested in doing so legally or not.

Gear is easy. And actually so are vans. My initial vision actually includes vans with trailers that could pick up folks and bring them to the track. It's not as outlandish as some might think. The DOT had vans set up like this some years ago to ferry pedestrians and bicyclists back and forth across the 59th Street Bridge during construction closures.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #19548
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Umm, I dunno, the fact that it's a whole lot harder to kill oneself at a skateboard park than it is a motocross park?

Or the fact that the environmentalists will be up in arms over the noise, the perceived pollution, the use of combustion engines as recreation, etc etc etc...

Or that avg Joe Public and his wife hate all things motorcycle, that they're perceived as a dangerous subculture, that it would draw the "wrong element" i.e. inner city thug gangs who would end up ruining it for everyone else....

Or, that the city would have to enforce full protective gear which probably 1/2 the people pulling up to it would be missing...

Or, that 1/2 of all the people who own dirt bikes here in the city would most likely ride them illegally to the park since they don't own transport vans....?

You are spot-on with your identification of the issues!

Here's the only thing you need to figure out, however: Do you personally want a place to ride your trail bike or dual sport on dirt in NYC?

If you DO, then the hard work is to come up with arguments to defeat or defuse all the likely points you've identified above. That's what I'm working on, and I could use some help!
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #19549
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 10,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
You are spot-on with your identification of the issues!

Here's the only thing you need to figure out, however: Do you personally want a place to ride your trail bike or dual sport on dirt in NYC?

If you DO, then the hard work is to come up with arguments to defeat or defuse all the likely points you've identified above. That's what I'm working on, and I could use some help!
If he did want a place to ride a dirtbike and he actually got it, he'd have one less thing to whine about, and then WTF would he do?!
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #19550
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Horseback riding. Golf. Explain to me how your argument ^^^ doesn't apply to those activities?

NYC makes room. We figure it out, and we make it possible. Why would you be opposed to that?
I'm not opposed to that at all, but I just know it's a futile argument.

I think we should kill and eat the horses and golfers too. Fuck em all!

NYC Makes room for them because those who utilize those areas HAVE MONEY!!!

When was the last time you saw a sideways hat, wifebeater, pants around their ass wearing hood rat riding a fucking horse ?

People who own horses are rich, filthy rich (those who own and keep them in the city anyway). And they usually give money to their politicians of choice. Those politicians then give them horse parks and golf courses.

When dirtbike riding becomes the "sport of gentlemen" like polo or something then you can bet your ass we'll see some dirt bike parks.

If you want a dirt bike park, we should start motorcycle polo.

Or better yet, get rid of golf carts and have golfers ride from hole to hole on a KTM and have Touratech build some aluminum golf club panniers.

You know how you can hop on a bus for $2 to Atlantic City?

Start a charter service up to CT or the pine barrens. Riders and gear in a bus, bike on a few large flat bed trailers hauled by some pickups. Charge $50 a head for transport and a day of riding.

I think that would actually work. Hell, we could rent out safety gear also kinda like when you go skiing sans gear.

Who wants to fund my brilliant idea?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #19551
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 10,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
NYC Makes room for them because those who utilize those areas HAVE MONEY!!!
Does that count for the skateboard parks too?

Blah blah money blah blah whine whine whine blah blah blah.

That van for the 59th Street Bridge? Did all those walkers and bicyclists have money too? No, that van was deployed because people screamed bloody fucking murder.

As long as folks are constantly thinking negative, nothing positive will ever even have a chance.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #19552
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
You are spot-on with your identification of the issues!

Here's the only thing you need to figure out, however: Do you personally want a place to ride your trail bike or dual sport on dirt in NYC?

If you DO, then the hard work is to come up with arguments to defeat or defuse all the likely points you've identified above. That's what I'm working on, and I could use some help!
Thanks. My answer would be no. NYC is no place for a trail bike park, nor is it a place for an artificial downhill ski mountain, etc etc (see where I'm going with this).

If you want to do things like that, you leave the city. Hell there's too many people here anyway, anything that gets people to leave for a wknd, I'm down with.

Bless you man, I know you're heart is in the right place, and we do all appreciate you fighting city hall, the good fight. But common sense tells me, it's a losing battle.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #19553
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Does that count for the skateboard parks too?

Blah blah money blah blah whine whine whine blah blah blah.

That van for the 59th Street Bridge? Did all those walkers and bicyclists have money too? No, that van was deployed because people screamed bloody fucking murder.

As long as folks are constantly thinking negative, nothing positive will ever even have a chance.
Aren't they required to provide alternative transport if they stop the use of the the roadway or subway due to construction ? When the subways were down they provided alternative bus service.

Also, there are 1000 bicyclists for every motorcycle rider in NYC. That's a bigger voice. And Im sure the skate boarders are closer to 100 to 1.

We should kill them to I think.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #19554
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I'm not opposed to that at all, but I just know it's a futile argument.

I think we should kill and eat the horses and golfers too. Fuck em all!

NYC Makes room for them because those who utilize those areas HAVE MONEY!!!

When was the last time you saw a sideways hat, wifebeater, pants around their ass wearing hood rat riding a fucking horse ?

People who own horses are rich, filthy rich (those who own and keep them in the city anyway). And they usually give money to their politicians of choice. Those politicians then give them horse parks and golf courses.

When dirtbike riding becomes the "sport of gentlemen" like polo or something then you can bet your ass we'll see some dirt bike parks.

If you want a dirt bike park, we should start motorcycle polo.

Or better yet, get rid of golf carts and have golfers ride from hole to hole on a KTM and have Touratech build some aluminum golf club panniers.

You know how you can hop on a bus for $2 to Atlantic City?

Start a charter service up to CT or the pine barrens. Riders and gear in a bus, bike on a few large flat bed trailers hauled by some pickups. Charge $50 a head for transport and a day of riding.

I think that would actually work. Hell, we could rent out safety gear also kinda like when you go skiing sans gear.

Who wants to fund my brilliant idea?
In the words of the Talking Heads....

"stop making sense"
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #19555
racermx66
Husqvarna
 
racermx66's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: New Jersey
Oddometer: 417
People have to remember that dirt bikes aren't a socially accepted activity for a majority of the population. I don't have any statistics, but I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of all politicians (local, state, federal) play golf. And everyone likes horseys! About ten years ago the county want to build a new golf course. Towns were heavily lobbying to get it put in their borders. When it comes to ORV parks, townships fight like hell to keep them out. Wasn't it the great philosopher George Carlin who said the two biggest waste of land are golf courses and cemeteries!
__________________
'11 Suzuki GSXR-750
racermx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #19556
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Bless you man, I know you're heart is in the right place, and we do all appreciate you fighting city hall, the good fight. But common sense tells me, it's a losing battle.
That it may be a losing battle does not dissuade me at all. Nothing worth having is easy.

And, I think it would be awesome! Imagine being able to ride my dual-sport 20 min to some trail, and tear it up?

And, damn... My 8 year old asked last week if he could take his 50cc out and ride around a little. Fuck.

Plus this: We need to fight a lot of losing battles to win some. NYC DOT does not have ONE person assigned to motorcycle issues. Not one, in a staff of 1,400+. If we start enough "losing battles" then maybe they have to actually hire someone for the purpose of fighting us -- and DAMN if that's not a WIN in my book!
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!

wiseblood screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 02:24 PM
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #19557
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I'm not opposed to that at all, but I just know it's a futile argument.
As I said to Chris... futility isn't a reason NOT to do something. Everything which is worth having was futile at some point. And, I say this knowing full well what my sig says below... ...You gotta work hard if you want nice things!


Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
When was the last time you saw a sideways hat, wifebeater, pants around their ass wearing hood rat riding a fucking horse ?
Funny you mention that....

http://nycfederationofblackcowboys.com/



Linden Boulevard represent!


Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
People who own horses are rich, filthy rich (those who own and keep them in the city anyway). And they usually give money to their politicians of choice. Those politicians then give them horse parks and golf courses.
Not to get in the way of a good rant, but I know three people who ride horses. None of them are "rich." One of them who lives in NYC and actually uses the horse riding trail near my house (Forest Park) rents a horse from the local stables. She's a librarian who works at the main branch of the NYPL.

How many motorcycles do you have? I'll bet you could afford to regularly ride a horse if you reallocated your motorcycle money to that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
When dirtbike riding becomes the "sport of gentlemen" like polo or something then you can bet your ass we'll see some dirt bike parks.
I think you're half wrong on this. Yes, we need to have a better image of motorcyclists. But, I don't think it has to be "polo." Here's an image for you: Me, my wife, and two kids riding the trails. Here's another image: Three friends from ADV doing a quick dirt loop, on legal bikes, wearing full gear.

What we need is to make that image more prominent.
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #19558
BERZERKOWITZ
.
 
BERZERKOWITZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 479
This is what "country houses" are for.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #19559
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 12,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
This is what "country houses" are for.
Yes. I like to have the helicopter pick me up and fly me out to my country home.
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #19560
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
As I said to Chris... futility isn't a reason NOT to do something. Everything which is worth having was futile at some point. And, I say this knowing full well what my sig says below... ...You gotta work hard if you want nice things!




Funny you mention that....

http://nycfederationofblackcowboys.com/

I said hoodrats, not black people. There are hoodrats in every race, creed and religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Not to get in the way of a good rant, but I know three people who ride horses. None of them are "rich." One of them who lives in NYC and actually uses the horse riding trail near my house (Forest Park) rents a horse from the local stables. She's a librarian who works at the main branch of the NYPL.
I said own, not rent. Owning is for rich people, renting is for poor people. That's the way the powers that be like it.

As to your librarian friend, the question to ask is, is she hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
How many motorcycles do you have? I'll bet you could afford to regularly ride a horse if you reallocated your motorcycle money to that.
That's crazy talk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
I think you're half wrong on this. Yes, we need to have a better image of motorcyclists. But, I don't think it has to be "polo." Here's an image for you: Me, my wife, and two kids riding the trails. Here's another image: Three friends from ADV doing a quick dirt loop, on legal bikes, wearing full gear.

What we need is to make that image more prominent.
What you mean is I'm half right, you pessimist.

I stand by my motorcycle polo idea, I'd much rather ride around with a hockey stick and punt midgets and chihuahuas into an open manhole. I think it should be a national sport. Screw baseball!

But that other stuff would be ok too....I guess.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014