ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #19576
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
You are spot-on with your identification of the issues!

Here's the only thing you need to figure out, however: Do you personally want a place to ride your trail bike or dual sport on dirt in NYC?

If you DO, then the hard work is to come up with arguments to defeat or defuse all the likely points you've identified above. That's what I'm working on, and I could use some help!
If he did want a place to ride a dirtbike and he actually got it, he'd have one less thing to whine about, and then WTF would he do?!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #19577
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Horseback riding. Golf. Explain to me how your argument ^^^ doesn't apply to those activities?

NYC makes room. We figure it out, and we make it possible. Why would you be opposed to that?
I'm not opposed to that at all, but I just know it's a futile argument.

I think we should kill and eat the horses and golfers too. Fuck em all!

NYC Makes room for them because those who utilize those areas HAVE MONEY!!!

When was the last time you saw a sideways hat, wifebeater, pants around their ass wearing hood rat riding a fucking horse ?

People who own horses are rich, filthy rich (those who own and keep them in the city anyway). And they usually give money to their politicians of choice. Those politicians then give them horse parks and golf courses.

When dirtbike riding becomes the "sport of gentlemen" like polo or something then you can bet your ass we'll see some dirt bike parks.

If you want a dirt bike park, we should start motorcycle polo.

Or better yet, get rid of golf carts and have golfers ride from hole to hole on a KTM and have Touratech build some aluminum golf club panniers.

You know how you can hop on a bus for $2 to Atlantic City?

Start a charter service up to CT or the pine barrens. Riders and gear in a bus, bike on a few large flat bed trailers hauled by some pickups. Charge $50 a head for transport and a day of riding.

I think that would actually work. Hell, we could rent out safety gear also kinda like when you go skiing sans gear.

Who wants to fund my brilliant idea?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #19578
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Does that count for the skateboard parks too?

Blah blah money blah blah whine whine whine blah blah blah.

That van for the 59th Street Bridge? Did all those walkers and bicyclists have money too? No, that van was deployed because people screamed bloody fucking murder.

As long as folks are constantly thinking negative, nothing positive will ever even have a chance.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #19579
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,640
Quote:
You are spot-on with your identification of the issues!

Here's the only thing you need to figure out, however: Do you personally want a place to ride your trail bike or dual sport on dirt in NYC?

If you DO, then the hard work is to come up with arguments to defeat or defuse all the likely points you've identified above. That's what I'm working on, and I could use some help!
Thanks. My answer would be no. NYC is no place for a trail bike park, nor is it a place for an artificial downhill ski mountain, etc etc (see where I'm going with this).

If you want to do things like that, you leave the city. Hell there's too many people here anyway, anything that gets people to leave for a wknd, I'm down with.

Bless you man, I know you're heart is in the right place, and we do all appreciate you fighting city hall, the good fight. But common sense tells me, it's a losing battle.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #19580
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Does that count for the skateboard parks too?

Blah blah money blah blah whine whine whine blah blah blah.

That van for the 59th Street Bridge? Did all those walkers and bicyclists have money too? No, that van was deployed because people screamed bloody fucking murder.

As long as folks are constantly thinking negative, nothing positive will ever even have a chance.
Aren't they required to provide alternative transport if they stop the use of the the roadway or subway due to construction ? When the subways were down they provided alternative bus service.

Also, there are 1000 bicyclists for every motorcycle rider in NYC. That's a bigger voice. And Im sure the skate boarders are closer to 100 to 1.

We should kill them to I think.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #19581
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:

I think we should kill and eat the horses and golfers too. Fuck em all!

When was the last time you saw a sideways hat, wifebeater, pants around their ass wearing hood rat riding a fucking horse ?

People who own horses are rich, filthy rich (those who own and keep them in the city anyway). And they usually give money to their politicians of choice. Those politicians then give them horse parks and golf courses.

When dirtbike riding becomes the "sport of gentlemen" like polo or something then you can bet your ass we'll see some dirt bike parks.

If you want a dirt bike park, we should start motorcycle polo.

Or better yet, get rid of golf carts and have golfers ride from hole to hole on a KTM and have Touratech build some aluminum golf club panniers.

You know how you can hop on a bus for $2 to Atlantic City?

Start a charter service up to CT or the pine barrens. Riders and gear in a bus, bike on a few large flat bed trailers hauled by some pickups. Charge $50 a head for transport and a day of riding.

I think that would actually work. Hell, we could rent out safety gear also kinda like when you go skiing sans gear.

Who wants to fund my brilliant idea?
In the words of the Talking Heads....

"stop making sense"
Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #19582
racermx66
Husqvarna

Oddometer: 347
People have to remember that dirt bikes aren't a socially accepted activity for a majority of the population. I don't have any statistics, but I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of all politicians (local, state, federal) play golf. And everyone likes horseys! About ten years ago the county want to build a new golf course. Towns were heavily lobbying to get it put in their borders. When it comes to ORV parks, townships fight like hell to keep them out. Wasn't it the great philosopher George Carlin who said the two biggest waste of land are golf courses and cemeteries!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #19583
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Bless you man, I know you're heart is in the right place, and we do all appreciate you fighting city hall, the good fight. But common sense tells me, it's a losing battle.
That it may be a losing battle does not dissuade me at all. Nothing worth having is easy.

And, I think it would be awesome! Imagine being able to ride my dual-sport 20 min to some trail, and tear it up?

And, damn... My 8 year old asked last week if he could take his 50cc out and ride around a little. Fuck.

Plus this: We need to fight a lot of losing battles to win some. NYC DOT does not have ONE person assigned to motorcycle issues. Not one, in a staff of 1,400+. If we start enough "losing battles" then maybe they have to actually hire someone for the purpose of fighting us -- and DAMN if that's not a WIN in my book!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!

wiseblood screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 01:24 PM
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #19584
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
As I said to Chris... futility isn't a reason NOT to do something. Everything which is worth having was futile at some point. And, I say this knowing full well what my sig says below... ...You gotta work hard if you want nice things!

Quote:
Funny you mention that....

http://nycfederationofblackcowboys.com/

Linden Boulevard represent!

Quote:
Not to get in the way of a good rant, but I know three people who ride horses. None of them are "rich." One of them who lives in NYC and actually uses the horse riding trail near my house (Forest Park) rents a horse from the local stables. She's a librarian who works at the main branch of the NYPL.

How many motorcycles do you have? I'll bet you could afford to regularly ride a horse if you reallocated your motorcycle money to that.

Quote:
I think you're half wrong on this. Yes, we need to have a better image of motorcyclists. But, I don't think it has to be "polo." Here's an image for you: Me, my wife, and two kids riding the trails. Here's another image: Three friends from ADV doing a quick dirt loop, on legal bikes, wearing full gear.

What we need is to make that image more prominent.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #19585
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 476
This is what "country houses" are for.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #19586
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
This is what "country houses" are for.
Yes. I like to have the helicopter pick me up and fly me out to my country home.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #19587
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
As I said to Chris... futility isn't a reason NOT to do something. Everything which is worth having was futile at some point. And, I say this knowing full well what my sig says below... ...You gotta work hard if you want nice things!

Funny you mention that....

http://nycfederationofblackcowboys.com/

I said hoodrats, not black people. There are hoodrats in every race, creed and religion.

Quote:
Not to get in the way of a good rant, but I know three people who ride horses. None of them are "rich." One of them who lives in NYC and actually uses the horse riding trail near my house (Forest Park) rents a horse from the local stables. She's a librarian who works at the main branch of the NYPL.
I said own, not rent. Owning is for rich people, renting is for poor people. That's the way the powers that be like it.

As to your librarian friend, the question to ask is, is she hot?

Quote:
How many motorcycles do you have? I'll bet you could afford to regularly ride a horse if you reallocated your motorcycle money to that.
That's crazy talk.

Quote:
I think you're half wrong on this. Yes, we need to have a better image of motorcyclists. But, I don't think it has to be "polo." Here's an image for you: Me, my wife, and two kids riding the trails. Here's another image: Three friends from ADV doing a quick dirt loop, on legal bikes, wearing full gear.

What we need is to make that image more prominent.
What you mean is I'm half right, you pessimist.

I stand by my motorcycle polo idea, I'd much rather ride around with a hockey stick and punt midgets and chihuahuas into an open manhole. I think it should be a national sport. Screw baseball!

But that other stuff would be ok too....I guess.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #19588
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Yes. I like to have the helicopter pick me up and fly me out to my country home.
Can ya pick me up?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #19589
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I would equate family dirt bike riding about 3 tiers higher on the expense list than family skiing.

Between gear (that they would outgrow every 2 years), bike maintenance, van maintenance, gas for both vehicles, etc etc.... you're talking about a pretty damn expensive family pastime.

So if that's what you're choosing, more power to you - But I see no correlation with having city/state dirt trail (moto) parks beckoning the inner city stunter/illegal/thug crowds off the city streets. Nor do I see why the city or state would ever foot the bill for a tiny subculture that the public generally dislikes, and could potentially be pretty litigious.

If you can afford to take the family dirt biking, you should be able to afford the transport far and away from the city limits. If you can't, it's probably the wrong sport/pastime for that said family.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #19590
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:

Plus this: We need to fight a lot of losing battles to win some. NYC DOT does not have ONE person assigned to motorcycle issues. Not one, in a staff of 1,400+.
Welcome to NYC America, remember what Frank said; "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere"

Well what he meant was- shit's impossibly hard here, and that was 50 years ago and we know it's only gotten worse.

So I won't hold my breath for the city government of NYC to start giving a rat's ass about our tiny disliked subculture of recreational vehicles...

Signed, Carl the Truth Willams....