ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #19681
psychopompos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I left my bike on the street in front of my apartment for 5 hours. Result: license plate gone. Seems like the report/case number will be ready on Wednesday (oh how I look forward to the trip to the 114th) so I'll be able to go to the DMV for a new plate afterwards.

Any advice on fasteners which can be easily obtained in the city? They took those as well, and I'm planning on having something that can't be undone with fingers anymore. Seems like there's no law that requires the fasteners to be reflective, but has anyone been hassled for that?
psychopompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #19682
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
I left my bike on the street in front of my apartment for 5 hours. Result: license plate gone. Seems like the report/case number will be ready on Wednesday (oh how I look forward to the trip to the 114th) so I'll be able to go to the DMV for a new plate afterwards.

Any advice on fasteners which can be easily obtained in the city? They took those as well, and I'm planning on having something that can't be undone with fingers anymore. Seems like there's no law that requires the fasteners to be reflective, but has anyone been hassled for that?
Truthfully just some 1/4-20 bolts with nylon locking bolts will help. Take too long to remove since you need to turn a wrench or a socket the entire time. There are other solutions, but that should be enough of a PITA to stop the casual plate thief.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #19683
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
Go to any hardware store and buy bolts that take an Allen wrench. Not something the average crook has in his pocket.

No reflector bolts are required, although I did once have a stealership on Queens Blvd. inspecting my bike tell me I had to buy some to pass. We quickly straightened that out.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #19684
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
loc-tite
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #19685
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,112
Quote:

Damn... I heard about people stealing plates, but I didn't think it really happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Truthfully just some 1/4-20 bolts with nylon locking bolts will help. Take too long to remove since you need to turn a wrench or a socket the entire time. There are other solutions, but that should be enough of a PITA to stop the casual plate thief.
+1 to that! I got a couple nylock nuts, washers, and bolts from Home Depot. This was after having my plate fall off while riding. Now, if someone wants to spend five minutes stealing my plate, have fun.

SOME HELPFUL ADVICE given to me when I lost my plate: Report it to the police, and get a report! When you go to the DMV, they will ask you for it. Unless you want to pay another reg fee, have the police report in hand! (I had to sweet talk them, and it was a major pain in the ass.)

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #19686
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:

I had a multitude of plates stolen, from all over the place.

I'd use rivets, you're usually not likely to ever need or want to remove your plates anyway, might as well rivet them on.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #19687
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Fffffffffffffuckingcold!

Damn... looks like after the snow tomorrow we're gonna get a deep freeze until Saturday at least. Temps will not exceed 32F until then.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #19688
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Damn... looks like after the snow tomorrow we're gonna get a deep freeze until Saturday at least. Temps will not exceed 32F until then.

TodayDec 10

64°F
42°F
Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
NE at 6 mph
Details

WedDec 11

71°
49°
Mostly Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
NE at 6 mph
Details

ThuDec 12

70°
46°
Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
10%
Wind:
E at 8 mph
Details

FriDec 13

66°
45°
Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
SE at 6 mph
Details

SatDec 14

68°
44°
Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NNE at 6 mph
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #19689
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,890
I'll send you a reminder when it is a 120F
Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #19690
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
Quote:
I'll still be here suffering with the rest of you. Just showing Jesse an alternative that fixes his winter weather problems as well as where to ride with his kids. Just in case he hadn't heard of Arizona.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #19691
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post

TodayDec 10

64°F

Quote:

Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #19692
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Steve View Post
I'll still be here suffering with the rest of you. Just showing Jesse an alternative that fixes his winter weather problems as well as where to ride with his kids. Just in case he hadn't heard of Arizona.

Yeah, yeah..

And, I just got a disappointing letter from the Freshkills park administrator.

Still... as long as the weather is bad, I might as well write letters.

The purpose of bureaucracy is to wear you down and make you give up (and possibly move to Arizona). There is no way to conceive of the complexity of getting anything done in government. I think I could spend a lifetime and still not fully understand the rules.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #19693
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,891
So now the governor wants to hang out with Billy Joel, and ride bikes with him. In the linked article, Cuomo has his bike painted with the NYS seal, seems a little douchey to me. Hopefully, it's not a state police bike he's riding at public expense. Shockingly, he's a Harley guy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/ny...iend.html?_r=0

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #19694
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Pissed ..... fuck

From page 44 of this document:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/fkl/dmp.pdf

I'm just speechless with rage. Looks at that fucking beautiful park. Nobody gives a fuck unless it's a pretty horsey. Neverfuckingmind that horses kill more people per mile than motorcycles.

Anyway... if you feel like replying in order to further tell me that my efforts are futile, please don't. Not today.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #19695
TipsyMcStagger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
What the hell is wrong with me? I'm leaving behind 84 and freakin gorgeous in Tampa to spend the next 10 days in NYC? At least I can get some good food, if I don't freeze along the way :)

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote