ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #19801
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 142
Hey all- I have to rant a bit.
I was riding on Saturday, sitting in traffic on Steinway St. in Astoria when 4 squids came up from behind filtering and some crossed the double yellow into oncoming traffic to get up to the light. Chrome nazi helmets and whatnot, I was like..'here we go'. They did this for a couple of blocks and came back down on the other side- anyway, I got outta there before a cop assumed I was with them.
Even in my squidiest of days in the early 90's I wouldn't do the stupid shit that these guys do.

It's fine if you guys want to justify hitting an old lady on Qns Blvd, but I can tell you right now that they're a just another group of squids riding like jerks.
Jaywalking my ass- if you can't avoid a pedestrian on Queens blvd then there's something wrong with you and shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle.

I'm getting tired of hearing about real riders getting stuff thrown at them, pulled over, told to get rid of their bikes, etc.
Sorry but when I start getting pooled in with these morons I get annoyed- we have enough to deal with out on the roads.

phew. :)

Happy Holidays!

Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Yamaha TW200
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #19802
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmags View Post
filtering and some crossed the double yellow into oncoming traffic to get up to the light. They did this for a couple of blocks and came back down on the other side-

Everyone does this all the time in france and it works fine. Except they are on scooters or maxi-scooters so it doesn't seem rebellious.

nick2ny screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 07:21 AM
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #19803
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
points don't transfer and my insurance has never budged after a NY ticket while living in PA
but.... they charge a yearly fee if your NY points are above x amount

This happened to me after a bullshit ticket on the Harlem River Drive and they were sending the bill for 3 years to my mother's address in Wurtsboro, NY which I haven't lived at since 1993. The bills were getting thrown out until the 3rd year when my brother saw one and told me.
Got it resolved but technically my right to drive in NY had been taken away after the 2nd year and who knows what what have happened if I were pulled over for even a light out in that time.

Fuckers
Ooh, ooh, ask me!!!! I eventually changed my license from Michigan to NY as a result (just before the court date). Bastards indeed.

BACKSTORY:
My motorcycle’s license plate had been stolen in July. I had jumped through plenty of NYC DMV hoops (twice to the police station, twice to the DMV. The police made errors each time and didn’t give me enough information to replace my plate). When I finally had all my ducks in a row, I took the morning off work and arrived at the DMV to find that their system was down. It didn’t really matter that I didn’t have a plate, since I have a scooter and bicycle.
Finally, in August, I needed to ride to the airport to pick up a rental car for a wedding. I wrote the accurate plate number for my registered and insured motorcycle on cardboard with a thick Sharpee marker, attached it to the back of my motorcycle.

INCIDENT:
An eagle-eyed Westchester Co. Police officer pulled me over because of the cardboard “plate” on my 40-mile trip to the airport. I handed him my current license, current registation, and current insurance, and documents supporting that I had reported the plate stolen and had tried to replace it.
He took my license, and said it had been suspended. He threatened to arrest me. Now, the suspension was news to me. It turns out the NY DMV—despite having my accurate address on file (as shown in my attached full driving history)—had, in 2006, sent a $100 fine to an outdated address from 2001 (the fine was from getting six points in 18 months, so it’s not like I ever had a chance to know about it in person) I never received the notice, and they tacked on $100 each year until they suspended my license in 2009. This whole time I was registering and titling vehicles in NYC. They never notified me.

The officer impounded my motorcycle, wrote me tickets for driving on a suspended license, driving without a plate, and failing to update the DMV about my address. I was forced to take a $60 cab to the DMV, and had my license reinstated.

Reinstated license in hand, I headed to the Police Department to try to retrieve my bike immediately. The same officer was there, and he refused to release the bike from the pound until I had a New York license (I had a Michigan license at the time. Now I have an NY license). That went against what it said on the Police Dept.’s own forms, but he became very, very, angry when I questioned it, and I feared for my security. I asked to see the law that said I needed a NY license to pick up the bike and he said "ARE YOU QUESTIONING ME? IT'S MY JOB TO KNOW THE LAW" It was awful, especially with my new girlfriend sitting there next to me.

From the Police’s documentation (attached). It says nothing about having an in-state license:

Vehicle owner who claims his vehicle must have each of the following: a. Valid registration for the vehicle being claimed b. Valid insurance indentification card for the vehicle being claimed c. Valid drivers license (for class of vehicle being claimed).

The tow fee was $137.50.

AFTERMATH:
I had to go to the wedding, and I couldn’t very well get a NY license immediately (requires an SS card, a passport, etc.), and since the officer went against the rules in not releasing my motorbike, I had to leave it in impound over the weekend, accruing an additional three days of storage at $45 per day. When it came time to pick it up, I had to bring a motorcycle-riding friend the 40 miles BACK to the police department on the following Monday.
In court, the judge reduced the charges and I had to pay a fine of $180.

TOTAL COSTS:
$300 for DMV fees ($100 I'm willing to take responsibility for, since it was the original fine) $60 for cab fees $295.32 for towing and impound storage fees $180 for court costs (paid in cash and cannot dispute) Lots of travel and headache Missed rehearsal dinner
That’s a total of $835.32!

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DISPUTE:
$200 of the $300 DMV fines.
Reason: If they use an out-of-date address to send me a fine, there is no way I will be able to pay it!
$295.32 of the $295.32 towing fee.

Reason: The officer called this tow-truck immediately. Were they in cahoots? Why did the officer not release my motorcycle? Something smells fishy. If it is not possible to dispute everything I would like to dispute the 3 days at $45 a day, for a total of $135.

WHAT I HAVE DONE ALREADY:
I talked to the lady at the DMV and explained my situation. She said that I should get a full driving history and dispute the charge. That’s what I’m doing.
The guy at the towing company wasn’t in the loop. He said that it would have just been the towing fee--$135 plus tax—if I had picked the bike up that day. I’d have to take it up with the CC company, since the towing company acts on what the police documents say. It’s hard to believe that the cop would care what license I had, and his very own documents showed that the bike must be released to me.

My life sucks.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #19804
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,112
Quote:
I was riding on Saturday, sitting in traffic on Steinway St. in Astoria when 4 squids came up from behind filtering and some crossed the double yellow into oncoming traffic to get up to the light. Chrome nazi helmets and whatnot, I was like..'here we go'. They did this for a couple of blocks and came back down on the other side- anyway, I got outta there before a cop assumed I was with them.
Even in my squidiest of days in the early 90's I wouldn't do the stupid shit that these guys do.

It's fine if you guys want to justify hitting an old lady on Qns Blvd, but I can tell you right now that they're a just another group of squids riding like jerks.
Jaywalking my ass- if you can't avoid a pedestrian on Queens blvd then there's something wrong with you and shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle.

I'm getting tired of hearing about real riders getting stuff thrown at them, pulled over, told to get rid of their bikes, etc.
Sorry but when I start getting pooled in with these morons I get annoyed- we have enough to deal with out on the roads.

Happy Holidays!

Just to be clear: Nobody here is justifying or excusing "hitting an old lady on Qns Blvd." I'm only saying, "old ladies on Queens Blvd" get hit by CARS all the damn time, and you don't see the press trying to jump down the throats of SUV drivers.

Fuck the Squids. Fuck them up their stupid asses, for all the shit they bring down on us. The assholes with the chrome helmets are not my "brothers" and never will be. (And, FFS, do they even know there are plenty of nice roads just over the bridge? )

Nonetheless, I know prejudice when I see it. And, this news coverage haz it.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #19805
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Ooh, ooh, ask me!!!! I eventually changed my license from Michigan to NY as a result (just before the court date). Bastards indeed.

BACKSTORY:
My motorcycle’s license plate had been stolen in July. I had jumped through plenty of NYC DMV hoops (twice to the police station, twice to the DMV. The police made errors each time and didn’t give me enough information to replace my plate). When I finally had all my ducks in a row, I took the morning off work and arrived at the DMV to find that their system was down. It didn’t really matter that I didn’t have a plate, since I have a scooter and bicycle.
Finally, in August, I needed to ride to the airport to pick up a rental car for a wedding. I wrote the accurate plate number for my registered and insured motorcycle on cardboard with a thick Sharpee marker, attached it to the back of my motorcycle.

INCIDENT:
An eagle-eyed Westchester Co. Police officer pulled me over because of the cardboard “plate” on my 40-mile trip to the airport. I handed him my current license, current registation, and current insurance, and documents supporting that I had reported the plate stolen and had tried to replace it.
He took my license, and said it had been suspended. He threatened to arrest me. Now, the suspension was news to me. It turns out the NY DMV—despite having my accurate address on file (as shown in my attached full driving history)—had, in 2006, sent a $100 fine to an outdated address from 2001 (the fine was from getting six points in 18 months, so it’s not like I ever had a chance to know about it in person) I never received the notice, and they tacked on $100 each year until they suspended my license in 2009. This whole time I was registering and titling vehicles in NYC. They never notified me.

The officer impounded my motorcycle, wrote me tickets for driving on a suspended license, driving without a plate, and failing to update the DMV about my address. I was forced to take a $60 cab to the DMV, and had my license reinstated.

Reinstated license in hand, I headed to the Police Department to try to retrieve my bike immediately. The same officer was there, and he refused to release the bike from the pound until I had a New York license (I had a Michigan license at the time. Now I have an NY license). That went against what it said on the Police Dept.’s own forms, but he became very, very, angry when I questioned it, and I feared for my security. I asked to see the law that said I needed a NY license to pick up the bike and he said "ARE YOU QUESTIONING ME? IT'S MY JOB TO KNOW THE LAW" It was awful, especially with my new girlfriend sitting there next to me.

From the Police’s documentation (attached). It says nothing about having an in-state license:

Vehicle owner who claims his vehicle must have each of the following: a. Valid registration for the vehicle being claimed b. Valid insurance indentification card for the vehicle being claimed c. Valid drivers license (for class of vehicle being claimed).

The tow fee was $137.50.

AFTERMATH:
I had to go to the wedding, and I couldn’t very well get a NY license immediately (requires an SS card, a passport, etc.), and since the officer went against the rules in not releasing my motorbike, I had to leave it in impound over the weekend, accruing an additional three days of storage at $45 per day. When it came time to pick it up, I had to bring a motorcycle-riding friend the 40 miles BACK to the police department on the following Monday.

TOTAL COSTS:
$300 for DMV fees ($100 I'm willing to take responsibility for, since it was the original fine) $60 for cab fees $295.32 for towing and impound storage fees $180 for court costs (paid in cash and cannot dispute) Lots of travel and headache Missed rehearsal dinner

Reason: If they use an out-of-date address to send me a fine, there is no way I will be able to pay it!

Reason: The officer called this tow-truck immediately. Were they in cahoots? Why did the officer not release my motorcycle? Something smells fishy. If it is not possible to dispute everything I would like to dispute the 3 days at $45 a day, for a total of $135.

I talked to the lady at the DMV and explained my situation. She said that I should get a full driving history and dispute the charge. That’s what I’m doing.
The guy at the towing company wasn’t in the loop. He said that it would have just been the towing fee--$135 plus tax—if I had picked the bike up that day. I’d have to take it up with the CC company, since the towing company acts on what the police documents say. It’s hard to believe that the cop would care what license I had, and his very own documents showed that the bike must be released to me.

My life sucks.

Just taking a guess...

You were technically unlicensed because you are a NY resident who did not get a NY drivers license within the required amount of time (90 days I think) after the time period your out of state license became invalid in NY, hence you couldn't legally operate your bike until you got the NY license.

Operating with a suspened license is misdemeanor you usually get handcuffed and dragged off to the precint sounds like tho cop did you a favor by letting you take a taxi from the scene

sounds like your life could have sucked even more
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #19806
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #19807
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
The assholes with the chrome helmets are not my "brothers" and never will be.

I agree with you 100%
Old 12-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #19808
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post

I agree with you 100%

I will throw another 100%.
Only because you ride a motorcycle doesn't mean you are my brother...
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #19809
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post
I will throw another 100%.
Only because you ride a motorcycle doesn't mean you are my brother...

You know what riding on two wheels gets you from me?

1. A wave (or )
  2. If I see you broken down on the side of the road, I will stop and help if I can.

Any more than that, and I need some additional proof of character.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #19810
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,061
shit I'm screwed!

Quote:
Any more than that, and I need some additional proof of character.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #19811
billmags
Scoot Jockey

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Just to be clear: Nobody here is justifying or excusing "hitting an old lady on Qns Blvd." I'm only saying, "old ladies on Queens Blvd" get hit by CARS all the damn time, and you don't see the press trying to jump down the throats of SUV drivers.

Fuck the Squids. Fuck them up their stupid asses, for all the shit they bring down on us. The assholes with the chrome helmets are not my "brothers" and never will be. (And, FFS, do they even know there are plenty of nice roads just over the bridge? )

Nonetheless, I know prejudice when I see it. And, this news coverage haz it.
Well said. You're right, I shouldn't have used the word 'justify'. I was full of caffeine & holiday stress.
As for the CARS hitting peds we know that it's 90% cabbies (the squids of the car world.) Regardless-the news will jump on any chance to hype a story. Or a snowstorm.

Anyhow, maybe we can produce a public service announcement- "Fuck the squids" sounds good to me.
:)

Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Yamaha TW200
billmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #19812
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
shit I'm screwed!
Well, you've got beard character, and that goes a long way.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #19813
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Add in various extra stupid factors like the bonehead who stepped out in front of me a few years ago after carefully looking for oncoming traffic... IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.
Must have been a Brit or someone from a country that drives on the other side. I've found myself doing the same thing in London.
Nah. White guy, twenties, North American accent. Just an idiot that somehow escaped natural selection for a couple of decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Another halfwit group are the new crop of 14 and 15 year old mothers every year, pushing baby carriages across the Concourse. They'll run halfway across against the light, and stop at an island, but have the carriage in the roadway, with predicable results.
I like the ones who push their carriages out from behind parked vehicles in the middle of the block or against the light. Carriage first of course. Doesn't matter if the vehicle they're behind happens to be a van or a truck and they can't see what's approaching.

Quote:
Brilliant logic. I'm sure that all jaywalkers assume that if a motorist can't avoid them they should not be operating motor vehicles. Tell that to the relatives of the deceased. In your black and white little world that might be true. In reality, every foot traveled in the city has dozens of potential distractions (jaywalkers, nearby motor vehicles and bicycles, road defects, etc.) and all a pedestrian has to do is be where they don't belong at just the right time. Thump!

Nobody is justifying hitting old ladies but we have a concept here called contributory negligence. If someone can't be bothered to wait for a light or look before waltzing into traffic, they have earned whatever harm comes their way and I in turn can't be bothered to give a shit about their well-being.

As a motorcycle rider the problem with the jaywalkers is that they present a more tangible threat than they would to a car or truck operator. This year there are two dead motorcycle riders proving that point and I personally know at least two motorcyclist riders in the area who have been injured due to their efforts to avoid jaywalkers. In addition, while I'm busy trying not to mow down stupid or belligerent jaywalkers, that distracts me from the attention I need to pay to not getting creamed myself by a car or a truck.

So frankly, fuck jaywalkers. They're selfish pricks and are a threat to my own well-being.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #19814
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post

BACKSTORY:

INCIDENT:

The tow fee was $137.50.

AFTERMATH:

TOTAL COSTS:

My life sucks.
glad I got lucky and caught it.

Although every day I escape the city unscathed I count myself as lucky.
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #19815
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 5,890
In 27 years of riding I have ever only once dropped/crashed a bike on the road. It was a jay walking pedestrian walking against the traffic cops and the red lights direction. He played Frogger and my brake lever caught his ribs. I lost as I went flying, he had some bruised ribs and didn't fall.
So yeah I hate jaywalkers and I drive across QB every day and every day there are jaywalkers, almost caught on tonight in my van. Waiting to make a u-turn at the green arrow, (legal) arrow turns greens I go to make my u-turn and some jackass decides to run across the road with the no walk sign into the path of my van. This one wouldn't have involved me going to the ER as my van is at last 10 times heavier than my bike and I together.