ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #21496
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
have seen them and now i could use one.

who has a smug mug code?
W61uG6J129SrI
Old 06-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #21497
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Commuted into City yesterday, no worries made great time, though I will repeat that riding a moto on a Hiway sucks - no fun. Anyway the ride out on a Summer time Friday @ 5, sucks donkey dick.
But I resorted to the ole times & lane split the FDR. Fcuking hell it was a parking lot from 34th St to the GWB. 30 minutes of splitting sucks, but no way in hell I was waiting in that mess. After the bridge, I was sipping a beer in Piermont with my buddy
Enjoy the weekend
The Friday afternoon rush is awful, yeah. Starts early too. If you think the northbound exodus is bad, try heading east. Even at 3PM every major eastbound route was FUBAR.

And the motorcycle checkpoint shit here is ramping up again. Three of those fucking checkpoints reported to the Checkpoint Alert System just yesterday. I was thinking "WTF" but then I found out this is the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day parade, which historically is the single biggest weekend for motorcycle -only checkpoints all year. So I would expect more of the same today.

If you see 'em, report 'em!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #21498
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
The Friday afternoon rush is awful, yeah. Starts early too. If you think the northbound exodus is bad, try heading east. Even at 3PM every major eastbound route was FUBAR.

And the motorcycle checkpoint shit here is ramping up again. Three of those fucking checkpoints reported to the Checkpoint Alert System just yesterday. I was thinking "WTF" but then I found out this is the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day parade, which historically is the single biggest weekend for motorcycle -only checkpoints all year. So I would expect more of the same today.

Giddyup

Let me see, U have one road for access, but still haven't figured out how to get the fcuk off dat Island?
LIers are true masochist.

I know it's nice out there but only if I worked 10 minutes from where I lived, would I ever live in that environment.

God Bless ya.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #21499
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Let me see, U have one road for access, but still haven't figured out how to get the fcuk off dat Island?
One road?? Maybe out by Riverhead. Otherwise:

Long Island "Expressway"
Northern State
Southern State

And for the more patient:

Northern Boulevard
Jericho Turnpike
Sunrise Highway
Merrick Road
Old 06-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #21500
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I'm going to be doing a reverse commute from Queens to Newark Airport in the morning and back to queens in the evening for the next few days. How bad is the rush hour traffic between the airport and the Holland tunnel with the NB Pulaski closed now? Should I just avoid that area completely and go north to the GWB? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #21501
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 865
So I've been hanging a "No Dog Peeing" sign on my bike cover while parked at home for the past couple weeks. As soon as I started, there were zero piddle puddles on my rear tire, rim and mud guard. I had the sign in one of those flimsy, 3-ring clear folders. It got soaked during the last storm, so I printed a better version and got it laminated at work yesterday.

I took this photo at work this morning:

When I was locking up my bike at home this evening, I suddenly realized that I didn't have the sign, but the clips were still on the cover, which means I didn't take it off the cover, which means someone stole it.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #21502
bobbyp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
So I've been hanging a "No Dog Peeing" sign on my bike cover while parked at home for the past couple weeks. As soon as I started, there were zero piddle puddles on my rear tire, rim and mud guard. I had the sign in one of those flimsy, 3-ring clear folders. It got soaked during the last storm, so I printed a better version and got it laminated at work yesterday.

Brilliant solution to a real problem.
My light blue fabric chain cover turned green last year.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #21503
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 865
If anyone wants the file, PM me your email and I'll send it to ya.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #21504
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Nice, who wouldn't want the chance to play James Dean, minus the ending of course?

Tell NYS DMV it's a homebuilt, they have a special inspection unit for that. http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf

The problem is that I don't want/can't do a NYS reg. I need the VIN inspection in order to get my Utah title sent to me. Local LEOs/DMV won't inspect and endorse the Utah inspection form.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #21505
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
What's the downside of posting photos online of your license plate?
Why are people so concerned to blur it out?
I know I'm missing something. That's why I ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #21506
Petzl
Hmmmm...

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post

I took this photo at work this morning:

When I was locking up my bike at home this evening, I suddenly realized that I didn't have the sign, but the clips were still on the cover, which means I didn't take it off the cover, which means someone stole it.
New Sign...
"DOG OWNERS BEWARE!!!
Motorcycle is Electrostatically Charged for theft prevention.
Pets can be shocked/injured if they come into contact.
No Touching/urination. Caution
Petzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #21507
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
The problem is that I don't want/can't do a NYS reg. I need the VIN inspection in order to get my Utah title sent to me. Local LEOs/DMV won't inspect and endorse the Utah inspection form.
Take a ride upstate a little and talk to a few small depts. or sheriffs offices where cops still believe in actually serving the people. Major plus if you find an officer who's a car buff.

Always liked Beck's products, should have bought/built one instead of the Cobra replica I built some 15 or so years ago.

At that time I dealt with a titling company in AL, Titles Unlimited. I "sold" it to them, and they had it titled and registered there as a '66 Ford. They then "sold" it back to me, registered it in my name, sent me the title, registration, and plates, and I was able to get it titled in NY. All transactions were done through the mail.

Didn't cost a lot, I think $200 for everything, and it was worth every penny. I remember at the time standing at the NYS DMV window with a weird VIN consisting of 2 letters and 5 numbers, which no '66 Ford ever had, and feeling paranoid that a couple of DMV inspectors would be pouncing on me at the window. But all went smooth, and I walked out with plates and a huge grin on my face.

Luckily, it was before this:

Attorney General Lockyer Obtains Conviction in Massive Vehicle Registration Fraud Case
False Title and Registration Scam Costs State Millions in Lost Tax Revenues, Fees

April 7, 2004

04-042
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(916) 324-5500

(SACRAMENTO) – Attorney General Bill Lockyer today announced an Alabama man was convicted on Friday of felony charges for issuing false vehicle titles in a scam that has cost the State of California millions of dollars in lost tax revenues and license fees.

"This illegal operation provided false information regarding the purchase of expensive vehicles to hundreds of Californians, which allowed them to avoid smog requirements and pay reduced sales taxes and vehicle registration fees," Lockyer said. "At a time when California and its residents are forced to confront painful budget choices, these scam artists defrauded the state and all law-abiding taxpayers who have done their part to get through our economic slump. We will continue to investigate to ensure these tax cheats are brought to justice."

Richard Clark Weaver, 56, of Birmingham, Alabama, was convicted of providing fraudulent vehicle purchase agreements to California residents. The agreements, which were obtained for a $200 fee by mail, falsely indicated the year the vehicle was manufactured and that it had been purchased from Weaver at a low price. With these false documents, Californians were then able to avoid smog regulations and register their vehicles at a lower value, resulting in the loss of millions of tax dollars and registration fees. Weaver's company, Titles Unlimited, is believed to have provided false documents to Californians that cost the state more than $1 million in tax revenues and license fees over the past two years, and as much as $14 million since 1975, when the company began operating.

Weaver was convicted by Sacramento Superior Court Judge James Morris on April 2 on felony charges of offering false registration documents. He is scheduled to be sentenced May 7, and faces up to three years in California prison. In addition to his prison sentence, he may also be required to forfeit the profits he made from issuing false documents for 613 vehicles in California.

Of the 613 vehicles identified as having been licensed in California with documents from Titles Unlimited since 1999, more than 150 were Cobra "kit" or "replica" cars. These specially constructed vehicles typically are built out of components from several manufacturers and do not have a vehicle identification number assigned to the whole vehicle. The "kit cars" were purchased for $40,000-$60,000, yet were usually registered as older Fords in California with a value of $500. In one incident, a Cobra was purchased for $120,000, but was registered as a $70,000 1964 Ford to avoid state fees and smog requirements. The Attorney General's Office conservatively estimates that the loss to the state in taxes and license fees for just those 150 "kit cars" is at least $500,000.

The investigation began in October 2001 when the Yolo County District Attorney's Office began looking into the fraudulent registration of a 2000 Superperformance Cobra that had been titled in Alabama. Former Woodland police officer Terry Brown purchased the vehicle without an engine or transmission for $37,480. He installed a new Ford MotorSprot 351/392 CID 430-horsepower engine, bringing the value of the completed vehicle to $51,358.

For a $200 fee, Brown purchased an application for a bill of sale with Titles Unlimited, which registered his vehicle in Alabama as a 1965 Ford Cobra convertible valued at $13,500, and then reconveyed the title to Brown. Brown then used that document to fraudulently register his vehicle in California. The Attorney General's Office prosecuted Brown, who pled guilty in April 2002 to making a false statement to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Brown was required to perform 80 hours of community service, correctly register his vehicle and pay $655 in registration fees and $2,375 in taxes.

The Attorney General's Office continued investigating Titles Unlimited, enlisting the help of the Sacramento Valley Hi-Tech Crimes Task Force, which includes attorneys and agents from the Attorney General's Office and deputies the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office. The California Highway Patrol assisted in the investigation, helping to serve 20 search warrants on Californians who had registered their cars with documents from Titles Unlimited.

On Friday, Judge Morris also issued arrest warrants for four Californians who sold replicas and helped their customers avoid smog requirements and fraudulently register their cars in California using false documents and forged vehicle identification numbers. Warrants were issued for Lance Stander and Kimberly Marie Calder, both of Tustin, owner and employee, respectively, of Hilbank Motor Corp. in Costa Mesa; Dean Alan Woodruff of Alta Loma, owner of Woodruff's House of Cobras in Anaheim; and Craig Hill of Livermore, owner of Top of the Hill Performance Center in Livermore.

To date, the on-going investigation has identified at least five other out-of-state companies that have provided fraudulent vehicle purchase agreements and titles to California vehicle owners. The companies are in Alabama, Nevada, New York and Florida. The Attorney General's Office believes as many as 70,000 vehicles have been illegally registered in California through these scam operations.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles is in the process of canceling registrations that involve documents obtained from Titles Unlimited. The Attorney General's Office also has notified law enforcement officials in more than 20 counties regarding residents who titled their cars through the company for possible prosecution.

link to article.

Speedo66 screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 04:41 AM
Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #21508
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
What's the downside of posting photos online of your license plate?
Why are people so concerned to blur it out?
I know I'm missing something. That's why I ask.
I've asked the same thing, but don't recall any decent answers. I don't care who knows my plate numbers.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #21509
dominican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post

I was also stuck in that traffic. I couldn't even lane split my way to freedom it was so bad!
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #21510
banditthecat
n00b

Oddometer: 7
NYPD Motorcycle Checkpoints

As someone mentioned before - this was the big weekend for checkpoints...

"A truck load of confiscated dirt bikes."
https://twitter.com/CommissBratton/s...42127855771648

Anybody know the criteria for getting impounded? I've heard all it takes is a missing inspecting sticker or aftermarket exhaust (regardless of volume) at one of these checkpoints.
banditthecat is offline   Reply With Quote