ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #21541
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
So my sign has returned! Someone found it in a flower bed around the corner and gave it back to me at work this morning. It either blew off and flopped around the corner, or someone stole it then decided they didn't want it and dropped it. Either way, it made my day.
I suggest hanging another sign asking not to steal any of your signs?

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #21542
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
The loan is not paid off already. Do I pay the lender directly or the private owner?

Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
Has he paid off the loan already? if so he should have a loan payoff letter from the lending institution. If not, and he is doing it after the sale, then you will not be able to register the bike until he provides you with the payoff letter. This will take at least 5-7 working days, even with overnighting of bank check to lien holder.
Once you have the lein payoff letter, you present that to the DMV along with the signed over title, the DTF-802, MV-81, and your insurance card and your good to go.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #21543
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Am I a bad motorcyclist if I don't like loud pipes ... especially when they're buzzing my 'hood?
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #21544
Ravyn
nubblies need to die!

Oddometer: 640
That is a personal preference.
I have always paid the owner directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
The loan is not paid off already. Do I pay the lender directly or the private owner?

Many thanks
Aprilia Tuono, Aprilia Futura, BMW S1000RR, BMW K1200R, BMW K1200S, BMW R1100S, BMW R1100RS, BMW R1100GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200s, Ducati MTS 1000, Ducati M900s, Honda CBR600RR, Honda RC51, Honda VFR, Husqvarna SM610, KTM 990 Super Duke, KTM 950 ADV, KTM 450 EXC, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V Tenni, Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, Triumph Speed Triple 955, Yamaha WR250X
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #21545
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Am I a bad motorcyclist if I don't like loud pipes ... especially when they're buzzing my 'hood?
It's a total loss of energy to choose NYC as your home, and let street noise get to you.

When it does it's time to move.

I spent a good few years in the UES, and found it deafening between construction, idling buses, and 2nd, 3rd and Lexington traffic avenues.

Downtown was about 25% better but suffered from late night drunk noise.

Finally settled in a quieter part of brklyn, and it's about 85% quieter than manhattan.

All and all, it got to me.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #21546
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post

Many thanks
This can be a little tricky. In New York, the owner receives the title from DMV but the lien is noted on the title (in some states, the lender holds the title until the loan is satisfied). The loan needs to be paid off in full and then the lender will provide a lien release letter which you take with the signed-over title to DMV to get a new title in your name.

This presents the problem of you needing to hand over the full price of the bike up front and trust that the seller isn't just going to take the money and run. If the loan is with a local bank or credit union, maybe you can go in together, pay it off, and get the lien release letter on the spot.

If the loan is with a larger entity, this will have to be done via FedEx and will take a few days at best to get everything turned around.

For an extra bit of insurance, you can have the seller contact the lender to get a payoff quote, then get a cashier's check in that amount made out to the lender as opposed to just getting a check made to the seller or cash.

At the end of the day, though, seller could just say thanks for paying off my loan and then tell you to fuck off. Unlikely, but could happen. I'd suggest drawing up and executing a bill of sale with the terms BEFORE handing over payment so at least you have some sort of written documentation of the deal (contract) so you have some proof that the deal existed in case something goes bad.

This is all presuming of course that the seller doesn't have the cash laying around to pay off the loan. Ideally seller would just pay it off himself and get the lien release letter, THEN put the bike on sale expecting to recoup the money on that end.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #21547
dominican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
What parameters New York City's jackbooted thugs in blue use to impound a motorcycle right now, is anyone's guess. From what I can tell, the cops at these checkpoints have no fucking idea what the laws really are. They're inclined to write tickets for what they think is illegal and force you to defend yourself later.

As for actual laws...

There is a NYC law passed in 2007 which states you can be ticketed if the bike is "plainly audible" at over 200'. I don't know if it has ever been enforced. I do know that cops whine about it requiring too much coordination to enforce.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/ADC/24/2/6/24-236

There are NYS equipment laws which prohibit cut-outs, removable baffles, lack of baffles, etc. Fairly easy to enforce using a flashlight and a stick.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/III/9/381

There are also NYS laws which govern the noise amplitude, which are essentially impossible to enforce in an urban setting.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/III/10/386

And there are federal laws which govern noise, labeling, etc. at the time of manufacture, sale and import but they are not locally enforceable to end users, at least not in NY. A few localities around the country (and the state of California) do have laws in place which incorporate parts of the CFR as they pertain to labeling but they are largely unenforced due to threats of law suits (i.e. Boston) or can be superseded by an actual noise test (i.e. Denver).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/part-205

So what this all means is, no, an "aftermarket exhaust" is not by itself a cause for a ticket here. If on the other hand that aftermarket exhaust is too loud and/or lacks proper baffling, that IS a cause for a ticket here.
If I remove the muffler from my bike, it still sounds quieter than all harleys and sport bikes, but because I technically do not have a baffle, I can get a ticket in NYC, or worse, I can get it impounded!
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #21548
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
If I remove the muffler from my bike, it still sounds quieter than all harleys and sport bikes, but because I technically do not have a baffle, I can get a ticket in NYC, or worse, I can get it impounded!
Looks like it's time for a reality check.

1. If you remove the muffler(s) from your bike it will not sound quieter than all Harleys and sport bikes. If, however, you are riding a scooter or some other small-displacement machine, it will likely sound quieter than all the other douches with Harleys or sport bikes who are operating their bikes illegally by not having the proper baffles in place. That is not "all harleys and sport bikes". The majority of motorcycle owners are sufficiently comfortable with their sexuality and riding ability to stick with OEM exhaust equipment.

2. You can get ticketed and impounded for riding without proper baffles anywhere in the state of New York, not just New York City. You can also get ticketed and in some cases impounded in every other state in the union, all of which have laws requiring proper baffling not just on motorcycles but on all motor vehicles.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #21549
garbagekid0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
garbagekid0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #21550
Chickenstrip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
You could send it out. I believe they have a quick turn around time.
http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

Thanks for the link Ravyn. I was hoping to find someone local (in a city of millions, you'd think ...) but this may be the ticket. Looks they have a fast turnaround for work ... it's the shipping to UT and back. I guess I'd be lookin' at a week and half.

Did I get a lemon, or does Suzuki simply make an inferior product? I'm tired of working on my bike. :(
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #21551
Brutalguyracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Thanks for the link Ravyn. I was hoping to find someone local (in a city of millions, you'd think ...) but this may be the ticket. Looks they have a fast turnaround for work ... it's the shipping to UT and back. I guess I'd be lookin' at a week and half.

Did I get a lemon, or does Suzuki simply make an inferior product? I'm tired of working on my bike. :(

Hey just saw this post
I have a slightly bent up oil cooler
You are welcome to use it whenever you want
It held oil just fine
It did come off my bike that did have a 3rd gear implosion
I would flush it a few times first
But its here if you decide
I am in queens a few days this week in the astoria area
Brutalguyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #21552
dominican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Looks like it's time for a reality check.

1. If you remove the muffler(s) from your bike it will not sound quieter than all Harleys and sport bikes. If, however, you are riding a scooter or some other small-displacement machine, it will likely sound quieter than all the other douches with Harleys or sport bikes who are operating their bikes illegally by not having the proper baffles in place. That is not "all harleys and sport bikes". The majority of motorcycle owners are sufficiently comfortable with their sexuality and riding ability to stick with OEM exhaust equipment.

2. You can get ticketed and impounded for riding without proper baffles anywhere in the state of New York, not just New York City. You can also get ticketed and in some cases impounded in every other state in the union, all of which have laws requiring proper baffling not just on motorcycles but on all motor vehicles.
I guess it's a good thing I have my OEM "lipstick" exhaust on my bike still. I have such animosity towards it mostly because my girlfriend burned herself on it, and it left a mark (she learned her lesson there though).

On another note, the NC700X without exhaust is fairly tamed and quiet. I can't say if it actually is as quiet as I claim, but as is , you hear the engine movement way more than the exhaust. Regardless, it's not worth the hassle from the oppressors (er, I mean the law).

Oh well, carry on!
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #21553
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thanks Jerk!

This was very informative. I emailed the seller and he indeed in the process of paying off the loan and receiving a title lien release form. If I still like the bike after the test drive, is it safe to put a deposit down before he has the title in his name?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
This can be a little tricky. In New York, the owner receives the title from DMV but the lien is noted on the title (in some states, the lender holds the title until the loan is satisfied). The loan needs to be paid off in full and then the lender will provide a lien release letter which you take with the signed-over title to DMV to get a new title in your name.

This presents the problem of you needing to hand over the full price of the bike up front and trust that the seller isn't just going to take the money and run. If the loan is with a local bank or credit union, maybe you can go in together, pay it off, and get the lien release letter on the spot.

If the loan is with a larger entity, this will have to be done via FedEx and will take a few days at best to get everything turned around.

For an extra bit of insurance, you can have the seller contact the lender to get a payoff quote, then get a cashier's check in that amount made out to the lender as opposed to just getting a check made to the seller or cash.

At the end of the day, though, seller could just say thanks for paying off my loan and then tell you to fuck off. Unlikely, but could happen. I'd suggest drawing up and executing a bill of sale with the terms BEFORE handing over payment so at least you have some sort of written documentation of the deal (contract) so you have some proof that the deal existed in case something goes bad.

This is all presuming of course that the seller doesn't have the cash laying around to pay off the loan. Ideally seller would just pay it off himself and get the lien release letter, THEN put the bike on sale expecting to recoup the money on that end.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #21554
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik View Post
I suggest hanging another sign asking not to steal any of your signs?
In my experience that's just .

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #21555
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,307
My son had a BMW Rockster, which is basically an R1150R with fancy paint and some performance equipment off the S model. We had read you could remove the muffler exposing the beautiful single sided swing arm, and the cat. converter would muffle on it's own. It's a bolt on, so we figured we'd try it.

There was almost zero difference in the sound of the bike either with or without the muffler on it. We left it off, put a SS exhaust tip on it, and he rode it like that until he sold it, at which point we re-installed the muffler.

Obviously, most bikes are not like that. But that particular bike, and probably other Beemers with a cat, are pretty quiet without the heavy factory can.

Re: liens on vehicles. My son was buying a car with a lien, I advised him to make the deal so he paid the lien directly to the lien holder after putting all the aspects of the deal on a bill of sale. Fortunately, the owner was able to pay the lien off himself. As much as you trust people, remember a good con artist makes his living when he is able to convince you he's not a con artist.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote