ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #21586
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,026
I can do it myself and have everything I need. But I am all for paying someone with a pneumatic machine to do street tires if it is a reasonable price. Though I always do my own dirt tires. Last time I used a pneumatic machine I popped two tubes. I can't remember the last time I had popped a tube doing it by hand.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #21587
motorock
Explorer

Oddometer: 108
Thanks for the inputs for the garages. If I had the space, I would probably do it but I also don't mind paying once a year for a tire change...just needed to know my options and if I was being scammed. The dealer is, in effect, charging less than $100 for install of both tires after I told them the price of the tires that I was getting online- so they decided to give me a "deal".

I guess Cycle gear wont fix tires not bought from them? I will be calling them, Vax Moto and some others today to be sure- but the dealer is close by and I know them so that's the advantage with them. NYC gov site says that motorcycle tires are not subject to tire disposal fee- any ideas on that? Otherwise, I will just carry the old tires to the tire disposal center and skip the fees the dealer is trying to charge.

As for drivers giving way, I have some nice guys pull aside or turn in their mirrors and signal me to pass- to let me pass esp at lights. But then, there are those who (maybe not on purpose) do not leave enough space to filter besides them. Often cabbies will pull out in front of me. Once, a guy in a Lexus pulled from the center lane to the right in front of me (in 20 mph traffic on Flatbush Ave) but I had seen him coming so I had braked in time- He thought he had hit me. He quickly rolled down the window and started apologizing and said it his fault! And slowly pulled aside to stop and see if I was okay. Was going to work, was not hit so just rode along after telling him to just look before turning. I wonder how many NYC drivers would do that if that happened.
motorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #21588
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 929
its today!

Also, remember this isn't for everyone. On my way in to work this morning, I came upon a big heavy harley full bagger with the speakers blaring, and the equally roundly shaped rider leaning against a cab, trapped and unable to lift his bike with his own strength.

I, along with several non-riders, helped him right the bike while he was sitting on, and tried to make sure he was ok. No damage that I could see, to either vehicle, and from the looks of the scene, the rider was to blame. Simply could not control his lumbering 600lbs of bike, and on top of that, he looked as if he probably enough difficulty getting his own body around, due to weight, old age, whatever it was.

So, ride to work! but don't let today be the only day. A muscle that gets no excerise will not respond to the call when its needed, and your skills at riding are the same.

Also, fucking fat ass harldly.
www.TeslaLEDS.com
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #21589
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Does anyone in this thread commute on a cruiser / Harley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #21590
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Performance Cycle on 48th & BQE? No personal experience, but I pass them all the time going to visit the family. I thought I heard them mentioned a couple of times here favorably.

Yup, that's the shop I linked. Jimmy & Greg are nice guys, friendly shop cat, too. Definitely call first, but they've always been accommodating to me and my BMW.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #21591
martinnyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
Does anyone in this thread commute on a cruiser / Harley?
I do 60 miles every day on a v-star 650 (cruiser) but not in the city, I'm going from Riverhead to Hauppauge. Living in the city i was commuting on a goldwing for a little while, but that got to be annoying, and I got a slightly narrower R1100GS. Why do you ask?
martinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #21592
dominican
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post

Also, remember this isn't for everyone. On my way in to work this morning, I came upon a big heavy harley full bagger with the speakers blaring, and the equally roundly shaped rider leaning against a cab, trapped and unable to lift his bike with his own strength.

I, along with several non-riders, helped him right the bike while he was sitting on, and tried to make sure he was ok. No damage that I could see, to either vehicle, and from the looks of the scene, the rider was to blame. Simply could not control his lumbering 600lbs of bike, and on top of that, he looked as if he probably enough difficulty getting his own body around, due to weight, old age, whatever it was.

So, ride to work! but don't let today be the only day. A muscle that gets no excerise will not respond to the call when its needed, and your skills at riding are the same.

Also, fucking fat ass harldly.
I commuted today, as I do every day. I saw more bikes out today, which is good I guess.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #21593
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnyc View Post
I do 60 miles every day on a v-star 650 (cruiser) but not in the city, I'm going from Riverhead to Hauppauge. Living in the city i was commuting on a goldwing for a little while, but that got to be annoying, and I got a slightly narrower R1100GS. Why do you ask?

Just curious. I know it's more difficult to commute with a big heavy cruiser and I wanted to see if anyone commutes to city daily on it. Mostly related to the posts above about the dude dropping his bike on a taxi cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #21594
martinnyc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosey.levy View Post
Just curious. I know it's more difficult to commute with a big heavy cruiser and I wanted to see if anyone commutes to city daily on it. Mostly related to the posts above about the dude dropping his bike on a taxi cab.
yeah, I never did manage to drop my goldwing. I did "lay her down" a few times when the topic of picking up a bike that heavy on your own came up, just to show that it can be done. I will say this: a big heavy bike is a dream commuting on the highway, I would NOT want to do it in the city ever again.
martinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #21595
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutalguyracing View Post
Anyone on grand central pky today
Black dr around 9.10 am
I beeped at ya
I was but not at that time. I am usually east bound by 7-8am.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #21596
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Pothole damage

Anyone here had a positive experience with filing a claim with the city for pothole damage to their bike?
I came across this link that even lets you file electronically. Wondering if it's worth the trouble.
Please share your experience.

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #21597
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnotik View Post
Anyone here had a positive experience with filing a claim with the city for pothole damage to their bike?
I came across this link that even lets you file electronically. Wondering if it's worth the trouble.
Please share your experience.
I damaged both my rims at once just a few weeks before my coast to coast trip in March. It was cheaper and less of a headache to get used rims from Ebay than trying to get the city to pay up.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #21598
Brutalguyracing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
I was but not at that time. I am usually east bound by 7-8am.

I will wave tomm
Brutalguyracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #21599
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I see a guy park almost every morning same time as me at our garage on West 43rd and 6th Ave riding a Honda FB6 with speakers blasting usually Guns and Roses. How he commutes every day in the city with that bike, I hope to one day learn.
kcieslicki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #21600
motorock
Explorer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
Yup, that's the shop I linked. Jimmy & Greg are nice guys, friendly shop cat, too. Definitely call first, but they've always been accommodating to me and my BMW.
What's the exact address? Any phone number? Cannot seem to find them!
motorock is offline   Reply With Quote