ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #2251
teeedubya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Wow, just tried sentry and they quoted me for the same policy at around $360. Sweet! I'm gonna be picking this bike up out of state and will ride it home. So far all I have is the insurance for this new bike. Since the title is out of state will I have any trouble at the DMV?

teeedubya screwed with this post 02-06-2008 at 11:24 AM
teeedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #2252
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeedubya
...will I have any trouble at the DMV?
it goes without saying.

...the horror, the horror....

Study the info here first.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #2253
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,075
Last three bikes I registered had out-of-state titles. No problems, no worries. Now if I could only finish my work and go to Rocks tonight? Can't see it happening, and definitely not if I am on CRACKRider.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #2254
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Last three bikes I registered had out-of-state titles. No problems, no worries. Now if I could only finish my work and go to Rocks tonight? Can't see it happening, and definitely not if I am on CRACKRider.
hey rich while you're procrastinating, did you see the WSJ article last friday about the pro football player who is almost vegan?
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #2255
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,826
Yeah, you definitely want to have any forms necessary with you when you pick up the bike. The last 2 bikes I picked up were out of state and I had 2 different problems....

The first was the previous owner inadvertently checked the "exceeds mechanical limits" box on the title. The bike was on 05 and had less than 2k miles. Making *any* type of correction on a title is a no-no so I had to wait until he got me a duplicate title so I could have the correct info when the title was tranferred to me. Luckily the Virginia DMV was able to print him a duplicte title right there at the office instead of waiting for it in the mail.

The second was in PA. The PA title needed to be notarized so that was another problem since I realized that after trying to register it here.

Read the title carefully and have the forms you're going to need for the NY registration process with you so they can be filled out while both parties are present. It would suck to have to take 2 trips or wait for weeks for something in the mail while we're all posting rides here in this forum that you may be wishing you could attend with that bike you cant ride
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #2256
teeedubya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Last time I bought a bike it was from someone local and we just both signed the back of the title and the bill of sale, it wasn't notarized. I'm picking this bike up from RI. I have to check the RI DMV laws concerning the title right? If the RI needs to be notarized we both have to go together to a notary and both sign it correct?
teeedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #2257
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I just picked a bike up from a RI dealer I am looking at the title no notary spot and nothing was notarized when I closed the deal.

I know for sure in PA you need the notary.

JD
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #2258
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
From our daily union update:

Parking Tickets Are a Cost of Doing Business for UPS

It’s the cost of doing business; in 2005, UPS reportedly paid $18.7 million in parking violations in New York City alone. According to MSNBC, Big Brown gets about 15,000 tickets a month in the Big Apple. One of our crewmembers snapped this photo on Jan. 31 of a UPS package delivery car getting ticketed at the South Street Seaport in NYC. Dealing with all the parking violations turned into such a bureaucratic nightmare for the city that it created a program that reduces or dismisses the tickets in exchange for a company waiving its right to contest them.

The program has eliminated 770,000 ticket hearings and saved $1 million in administrative costs per year since in its first two years of operation. Under the program, the type of violation determines the ticket’s outcome. For example, double-parking in some parts of the city is a violation that can be erased completely for commercial vehicles. Violations for blocking a crosswalk or a bike lane can only be reduced by about 15 percent. Fines for blocking a driveway can be knocked down by 75 percent.

That doesn’t mean that drivers have a nonchalant attitude when it comes to parking tickets. One driver said that when officers start writing tickets, he tries to persuade them otherwise. If UPS wasn’t getting reams of tickets every day, the driver said, “maybe I’d get a bonus instead of a turkey.”

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #2259
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
If the RI needs to be notarized we both have to go together to a notary and both sign it correct?
I bought my first bike (Honda ct90) in PA and the title was not notorized. I had no problem getting through DMV, but I did the work in Port Jervis, NY (I was so excited to get it registered, I stopped at the first DMV I could find in NY).

Probably because it was a smaller office and because the DMV worker (as in "one person for the whole office") rode a Harley, I didn't have any issues. She was so busy teasing me about how much better her Harley is than my Honda, she must not have paid any attention to the notary. Maybe you can register the bike as you get over the border in NYS. It seems that the rules are subject to change depending on the DMV worker involved. Besides, you'll only wait in line for 3 minutes to get everything done.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #2260
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
this was either very random or i do not normally pay close attention to tickets placed on my bike.
had moved the bike last night to the correct side of the street. on the way to drop the kids off at school this morning looked to make sure the bike was still there, which it was but i could see the bright orangeness of the paper stuck in the handle bars.
later in the day i stopped to collect the ticket and move the bike to the other side. i was expecting a parked in the crosswalk by some rookie pep or cop who didn't know a limit line from a crosswalk. turns out it was for no inspection sticker. which i do have but it is high and on the inside of the forks so as not to get rubbed off while off roading.
i take a picture of the sticker and head upstairs, planning on sending the ticket with the picture to fight it. the thought crossed my mind to see who the issuing person was and if it was a new local pep i would point out my sticker so as to avoid more tickets. went through this last summer with one of the new guys. once i showed him where it was the tickets stopped.
anyways looking at the ticket i see it was from a traffic cop, dated the 27th. reading upwards i next notice that the location was on greenwich. the bike is on albany in battery park. puzzled i look further up and see that it was issued for a 4 door gray hyundai??? funny i have a no door green kawasaki.

basically someone put there ticket on my bike. is this common and have i paid other peoples tickets for them without even thinking twice about it?
i must admit that it is a sly little trick which one could probably get away with if they took the time to match the type of vehicle just a little closer.

don't forget i'm not from around here and it's prolly more common than i think, but if not make sure those tickets are yours
Good thing you noticed, there is an idiot cop around here who keeps giving me inspection tickets, even though there is a big inspection sticker on the damn bike!!!! Not only that but most come off the bike by the time I get on and go for a ride. I looked it up earlier this week, I have 10 outstanding inspection sticker tickets!!!!! I went to the DMV yesterday with the receipts and pics of the stickers but they told me I have to go to downtown brooklyn to the parking violations bureu.

I have had some bad luck in the past few weeks with cops, the dmv and insurance, I changed my insurance policy a few months back but the geico morons thought I wanted to cancel, so I get a letter from the DMV that shows a gap in insurance coverage, I call geico and sure enough its canceled, so I said FU and got AIG ($1000 less to boot) The gap is only a month, hopefully I don't have to pay this ticket which is $340

To top it all off I missed my court date for an operating out of class ticket from the summer, I lost my class M license and showed my class D and the occifers fancy computer said I was not licensed for class M but according to the DMV I am. Another classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Quote:
I just got quoted for an 06 KLR for $800 through progressive. This is for liability and comp. Are you guys living in NYC paying the same rates?
I'm also paying $800 through Progressive, but thats for 3 bikes, 2 are full coverage and one is a tad higher than just liability. Call Geico, they quoted me higher than Progressive but it might be reversed for you.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #2261
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,741
brake bleeder for borrow?!?

tween last night and just now i put 1 1/2 hour of time trying to fill my new front brake setup with fluid. does anyone have a brake bleeder they can loan out overnight or a few hours?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #2262
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Bad accident on 9W by exit 4.

Looks like a Leo lost his leg. A bunch of Leo's were coming back from a funeral on their bikes, tractor trailer crossed the yellow line and hit a few. For those familair with the area it's that downhill with the curve on 9W N after exit 4.

Poor dude.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #2263
NYP797
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Buell Blast for Commuting

Hope I'm not posting in the wrong place, but here goes.... I'm a freelance news photog, for outlets like AP, Bloomberg News (I got no muscle at all and have all the gripes about the administration you folks have) and have commuted on a 50cc Zuma, a Bajaj 150 cc geared scooter and my old '80 XL500s. I'm currently looking at the Buell Blast, and having sat on a new one like the fit and ergos. I'm sure it's got the beans and seems very nimble for someone who goes to different NYC locals all the time. Is there anyone here on this board that's commuted on a Blast? I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences. Thanks for any views.
NYP797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #2264
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYP797
Hope I'm not posting in the wrong place, but here goes.... I'm a freelance news photog, for outlets like AP, Bloomberg News (I got no muscle at all and have all the gripes about the administration you folks have) and have commuted on a 50cc Zuma, a Bajaj 150 cc geared scooter and my old '80 XL500s. I'm currently looking at the Buell Blast, and having sat on a new one like the fit and ergos. I'm sure it's got the beans and seems very nimble for someone who goes to different NYC locals all the time. Is there anyone here on this board that's commuted on a Blast? I'd be very interested in hearing your experiences. Thanks for any views.

Welcome!

What are you looking for that the scooters didn't have? I would think the Zuma would have been pretty good. I was riding an XT225 around the city and that was great, tough, low maintenance, super maneuverable, good suspension travel for all the shit roads, and just fast enough for the highway. A DRZ supermoto would be pretty cool, a bit taller though. Don't know anything about the Buell.

Karl

Old 02-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #2265
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey
tween last night and just now i put 1 1/2 hour of time trying to fill my new front brake setup with fluid. does anyone have a brake bleeder they can loan out overnight or a few hours?
Hey Roy

PM'd you
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote