ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #31
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
hey yarrai,

no that's not mine on east 23rd. could be elchulopadre's friend, tim, if it has a ballast strapped in front.

i'm curious to know about those nypd cars in the lane, too. someone suggested to me that it's to keep an emergency lane clear but that doesn 't make any sense because it's going to take a lot of extra time for an emergency vehicle just to approach the bridge.

i've also been noticing that sometimes in the middle of the day the nypd has been blocking off the bridge in one direction for up to twenty minutes. i wonder about that, too.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #32
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

despite all the hazards i still like riding around the city--it's still riding. i'm very new to riding so maybe that will wear off but it keeps me alert, i can practice slow speed riding, it's fast, and it beats sitting on a subway.

sometimes i won't hesitate to ride into the city as many as three times a day. i couldn't do that on the train and i wouldn't pay to do that in a taxi.

and if i can get an opportunity with some space in between cars to go through that tunnel at the tip of the island and blast up to the brooklyn bridge entrance then that's a bonus.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 AM   #33
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
hey yarrai,

no that's not mine on east 23rd. could be elchulopadre's friend, tim, if it has a ballast strapped in front.

i'm curious to know about those nypd cars in the lane, too. someone suggested to me that it's to keep an emergency lane clear but that doesn 't make any sense because it's going to take a lot of extra time for an emergency vehicle just to approach the bridge.

i've also been noticing that sometimes in the middle of the day the nypd has been blocking off the bridge in one direction for up to twenty minutes. i wonder about that, too.

If it's got out of state plates, it's prolly his (pennsylvania maybe).

They've been doing that since 9/11, off and on on all the eastern bridges right. Might have something to do with what head of state might be in the city at that time, or threat levels. (?)
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #34
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
They've been doing that since 9/11, off and on on all the eastern bridges right. Might have something to do with what head of state might be in the city at that time, or threat levels. (?)
no, this is something else. there's been a cop stationed at the entrance since 9/11 but a two cops in the lane is more recent.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #35
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
The 59th Street bridge seems to have a pretty regular schedule. With one of the upper lanes switching to an inbound HOV only lane till about 9:30am. Motorcycles allowed.
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #36
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Well since we're all here, any of you FF's ridin this wknd?

My girls away for wknd so I'm psyched to live like a bachelor (I already eat like one).

Maybe upstate saturday, maybe ride sunday too.......(gotta find out if my dogwalker's around
Old 03-16-2006, 07:07 AM   #37
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
despite all the hazards i still like riding around the city--it's still riding.
so true. i may be bitching about city riding but then when day in subway happens i am broken.

troopers on brkln bridge don't seem to be much 9/11 related. iirc, they appeared couple of months ago and are specific to brkln bridge. nothing on manhattan bridge nor on wiliamsburg that i noticed.

today riding north on fdr, i was passed by a guy wearing bluish jacket on red r12gs. he took a ramp by 14th street.

no serious riding for me in coming weekend.
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:07 AM   #38
abenormal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I commute in from Brooklyn to Manhattan every weekday unless it's snowing or the roads are icy. I'm not on a DS though... I've been riding an 87 VFR in Candy Wave Blue until about two weeks ago when I got an 88 Hawk, grey. I park in Tudor City.

I'm pretty sure I saw Dlew riding up Union Street a week or two ago.

Quote:
despite all the hazards i still like riding around the city--it's still riding.
I hear ya, man. Between a film crew taking over all the Tudor City parking today and a commitment I made to drinking heavily this afternoon, I took the subway in. Miserable. I don't see how people do it every day.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #39
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It definitely is riding. I think of it like an enduro where the trees are trying to kill you. Cut down bars and reinforced hand guards are very handy, just like in the woods. Yellow paint and pinesap on mine I actually had some asshole in a towncar hit me with his mirror while I was waiting to turn left off of 57th. I hate being in that situation, so I now try and avoid making a left off a two way street in traffic.

I hear ya, man. Between a film crew taking over all the Tudor City parking today and a commitment I made to drinking heavily this afternoon, I took the subway in. Miserable. I don't see how people do it every day.[/QUOTE]
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #40
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal

I'm pretty sure I saw Dlew riding up Union Street a week or two ago.

-clip-

I took the subway in. Miserable. I don't see how people do it every day.
guilty as charged. prolly going to get tacos on fifth avenue. next time give me the salute.

werd. i couldn't do it every day on the subway.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #41
KTMMMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hey guys, this is my first post and I couldn't think of a better thread to post in! I commute on my all black '05 SMC whenever I can or need to. Cabs suck, black town cars suck, peds suck, and buses suck! I drive, what I call, aggressively defensive anytime I'm in the city. I rode a bicycle in the city alot when I was younger and it taught me how to not get killed in traffic. I swapped out my stock cans for twin Akras and I can't tell you how much I love the sound of these when you really get on it! Scares the fuckin shit outta sleepwalkin/cellphone using peds!

"Between a film crew taking over all the Tudor City parking today and a commitment I made to drinking heavily this afternoon, I took the subway in"

Allow me to appologize on behalf of the film crew, it's my profession and even though I'm not on that particular job, I know it's frustrating for neighborhoods to have to deal with.
KTMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #42
Green Lantern
Bikeshopping

Oddometer: 282
Stay awake and overtake!
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:46 AM   #43
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Riding here is like white water canoeing, as long as you're going faster than the current, you're in control, not letting the water current control you.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #44
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Riding here is like white water canoeing, as long as you're going faster than the current, you're in control, not letting the water current control you.
Awesome analogy about city riding. I have also come to the same conclusion that you need to keep moving. If I find myself getting bogged down in stagnant traffic instead of stopping and waiting Ill try and slither around the cars to look for a way out (pretty easy on the XT225) I have even jumped off the bike and pushed it on the sidewalk to get passed a jam. Its a small victory when you can pick your way though a big clog on the street and find it wide open on the other end, at least till the end of the block

I will cruise along in the flow if things are moving along at the speed limit or if it feels like the safer thing to do.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #45
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,809
I used to commute from Crown Heights BKLYN! to Manhattan, then from NJ but now I have a no hassle, no traffic commute within NJ.

NYC is one of my favorite places to ride but not during the day (sunday is ok too). I love the northbound FDR at night checking out the views of the bridges and city lit up. Polaski Skyway into NYC is cool too.

peds, if you see them jay walking hit the gas and watch them run!!! Just be careful of the oblivous ones that just step write out without warning. I can't tell you how many lives I've saved by stopping someone from walking mindlessly out into traffic.

Don't expect those towncars to stop if they hit you. One hit me when I was on my mountain bike and took off. Luckily, I wasn't hurt.

Where's the good free bike parking spots around town now? I used to park on 46 and Lex near Grand Central but it's all gone to metered parking.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote