ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #4861
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 10,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood
There's a video of a couple guys staging similar thefts of a bicycle all over the city
Jacking into the city's electricity was a nice touch.

And as a photographer I especially liked the cop who passed by the staged theft to tell the camera man he had to move.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #4862
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler
 
urbancowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Laughing at Jerks in NYC
Oddometer: 1,743
bicycle video

re bicycle video, i was laughing my ass off.

IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING

remind me about this at the ear and i'll share some stories...
__________________
bmw makes motorcycles now?
smugmug link: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=fMX8CMi5nSlps will save you $5 at the best photo hosting site on the internets. you can almost buy a beer in nyc with that. your welcome.
[/B]
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #4863
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler
 
urbancowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Laughing at Jerks in NYC
Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
Jacking into the city's electricity was a nice touch.

And as a photographer I especially liked the cop who passed by the staged theft to tell the camera man he had to move.
take another look at the "police" vehicle. you might be making an assumption there.

looks like a port authority police vehicle, but notice no emergency lights. who knows what they use those vans for (building maintenance, etc).
__________________
bmw makes motorcycles now?
smugmug link: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=fMX8CMi5nSlps will save you $5 at the best photo hosting site on the internets. you can almost buy a beer in nyc with that. your welcome.
[/B]
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4864
dlew
Daypass Adventurer
 
dlew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 2,142
I have had a ticket at a muni meter spot, and it was in the columbus circle area. Just FYI.
__________________
2005 R1200GS
1993 R100GS PD
1986 R80 G/S PD
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #4865
Spook 013
f.k.a. j0hn0tt0
 
Spook 013's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
Not the first generation Muni Meters. Check out the ones behind Time Warner and you'll see that they only accept coins and parking cards. Parking cards have to be purchased (60 John Street, 2nd Floor, NY NY 10038).

You need 4 quarters for 15 mins in some areas.... don't think you can park anywhere in NYC for 25 cents anymore (I might be wrong).
By my school, St. John's University, it's 25 cents for a half an hour. This is in Jamaica, NY (this is in the ritzy, Jamaica estates area, not in the 'hood where fiddy cent was gettin' mad caps popped in his ass). I've been to places where a quarter yielded an hour. Can't remember where, though. It's supply and demand, what else is new.

If you want to be legit and get a muni-meter ticket for your bike, contact the DoT and they will provide you with a pouch to attach to your bike so that you can display the ticket. Otherwise, just buy a muni-meter ticket and keep it on your person. If you get a parking ticket, fight it with the muni-meter ticket that you already purchased. This info came straight from the DoT.
Spook 013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #4866
mimo523
Adventurer
 
mimo523's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 75
Kryptonite makes the New York lock and chain that the guy would still be working on and never break with any of those tools. I had a bicycle tied up every day with it for 5 yrs and i still have the bike.
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #4867
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 10,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
take another look at the "police" vehicle. you might be making an assumption there. looks like a port authority police vehicle, but notice no emergency lights. who knows what they use those vans for (building maintenance, etc).
You're correct E, I may indeed be making an assumption. OTOH whoever it was, the person seemed to think he had they authority to issue directives to the camera man. After ignoring the would-be thief.
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #4868
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler
 
urbancowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Laughing at Jerks in NYC
Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
You're correct E, I may indeed be making an assumption. OTOH whoever it was, the person seemed to think he had they authority to issue directives to the camera man. After ignoring the would-be thief.
we may have also hit on a brilliant scheme for thieves: bring a cameraman or two. no one will suspect you are a real criminal if you have a camera crew filming the crime.

i've heard stories from cop friends about people getting grabbed pretty aggressively while attempting to steal bikes or take property from cars.

i suspect there are two schools of thought, two ways to watch that bike video:
some people watch it and say (as you and the neistat brothers said) "how come the cops (cops in general, not that specific PAPD van) didn't see the crime being committed and stop it???!!!"

then there are those who say "i don't expect there to be enough cops around to see every crime in progress. but if there are hundreds of civilians walking around and watching, how come none of them called the police or did anything?"

i would be really interested in recreating that scenario in different towns, etc. to see if people would be more aware/concerned elsewhere.
__________________
bmw makes motorcycles now?
smugmug link: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=fMX8CMi5nSlps will save you $5 at the best photo hosting site on the internets. you can almost buy a beer in nyc with that. your welcome.
[/B]
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #4869
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher
 
Rectaltronics's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: New York F'ing City
Oddometer: 10,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo523
Kryptonite makes the New York lock and chain that the guy would still be working on and never break with any of those tools. I had a bicycle tied up every day with it for 5 yrs and i still have the bike.
A grinder/cutter with one or two of those aluminum oxide wheels will go through any of those in minutes. I've heard that liquid nitrogen and a hammer is also effective. A moment in Google turned up this article from 2007:

Cycling Plus' top rated:
U-lock is the Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit Mini (passed test one; Test 2: cut open in 2 min 59 sec),
best designed U-Lock was the Abus Granit X Plus (passed test one; Test 2: cut open in 2 min 34 sec but had to cut both sides),
the best cable was the Abus Granit Steeloflex 1000 (passed test one; Test 2: cut open in 1 min 42 sec),
and the best Chain was the Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit (passed test one; Test 2: cut open in 1 min 19 sec).

Even the best locks and chains available were cut open in less than 3 minutes.
Also worth noting: Masterlock Street Fortum: opened in 8.1 sec, Masterlock Street Quantum 10 mm cable: cut in 2.8 sec, Masterlock Quantum Armoured Cable cut in 4.6 sec.

YMMV...
__________________
New Yorkers: Join the NYMSTF now for a motorcycle -friendly NY!
Rectaltronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #4870
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer
 
jdaniele's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Now residing in Queens
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
There is no substitute for a pager alarm and a hunting rifle pointed out your window.
That's called a YOJACK system
__________________
JD (K2ADV)

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #4871
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois
 
eastbloc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics
A grinder/cutter with one or two of those aluminum oxide wheels will go through any of those in minutes.
It really only takes a few seconds with a 5" grinder. For some reason, the hardened steel used in the Kryptonite locks grinds much more easily than regular steel.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #4872
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider
 
Ginzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Oddometer: 697
I once had an old yellow bicycle that I got from the basement of a house my Mom moved into. I lived in the East Village at the time and figured it would be perfect to ride to work. The plan was, when the bike died, I'd leave it where it died.

On the way to work one day, at about 7:30 in the morning, the pedals broke while I was riding through Tomkins Square Park. I pushed the bike to Ave. A and left it against the railing outside Sidewalk Cafe were the outside tables were. It was about 1996 in Alphabet City, I figured that some junkie would take it and sell it to buy one of the many brands of heroin available at the time.

When I was walking back home around 3pm, I noticed that the bike was still there. It was leaning against the railing of Sidewalk Cafe. People were eating outside and the bike was just sitting there. I went back out around 5, same thing. Walking back home around 7pm I saw that the bike was still sitting there. How many people walked by that thing and no one took it? By 9pm, I walked by and finally, it was gone.

Two days later, I saw a guy pushing the bike through Tomkins Square. "Hey, my bike!" I yelled happily. I was so glad that someone finally took it. "No man, I bought this from a guy on Avenue A. I didn't know..."

I told the guy the story and he was pretty happy. He then proceded to show me all the farkling he'd done to it.

I guess sometimes it works the other way, I can't believe it took over 12 hours for someone to steel an unlocked bicycle in NYC.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #4873
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer
 
DiscoDino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Lebanon/NYC
Oddometer: 1,820
Hey guys,

I was going through my tools to prepare for tomorrow's plan on changing my rear tire/tube...can't find my ziplock with my bead goo, rim protectors, or valve stem puller...can replace everything but the rim protectors...anyone know where I can get some inthe city tomorrow during the day?

Feel like a putz for not checking earlier and ordering while I got new tubes/stuff from RM-ATV :(
__________________
Adventurer transitioning from 4x4 to 2x1
'07 G650Xch - Under Mod-struction
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #4874
SPEEZ
Confused Adventurer
 
SPEEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Look Out Your Window...
Oddometer: 46
Stolen Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzer
I once had an old yellow bicycle that I got from the basement of a house my Mom moved into. I lived in the East Village at the time and figured it would be perfect to ride to work. The plan was, when the bike died, I'd leave it where it died.

On the way to work one day, at about 7:30 in the morning, the pedals broke while I was riding through Tomkins Square Park. I pushed the bike to Ave. A and left it against the railing outside Sidewalk Cafe were the outside tables were. It was about 1996 in Alphabet City, I figured that some junkie would take it and sell it to buy one of the many brands of heroin available at the time.

When I was walking back home around 3pm, I noticed that the bike was still there. It was leaning against the railing of Sidewalk Cafe. People were eating outside and the bike was just sitting there. I went back out around 5, same thing. Walking back home around 7pm I saw that the bike was still sitting there. How many people walked by that thing and no one took it? By 9pm, I walked by and finally, it was gone.

Two days later, I saw a guy pushing the bike through Tomkins Square. "Hey, my bike!" I yelled happily. I was so glad that someone finally took it. "No man, I bought this from a guy on Avenue A. I didn't know..."

I told the guy the story and he was pretty happy. He then proceded to show me all the farkling he'd done to it.

I guess sometimes it works the other way, I can't believe it took over 12 hours for someone to steel an unlocked bicycle in NYC.
How about this, I locked my bicycle up at 1221 6th Ave., McGraw Hill building on 48th and 6th. When I came down at 2;30pm to go home it was gone. I looked at my friend Joe and explained that it was my wifes favorite bike and Im going to hear much crap about it. I got on the R train going downtown, got off at 23rd Street, walked up the stairs. As I was lighting a cig, I turned around the corner and there was the guy sitting on the bike waiting at the light. Obviously a law abiding citizen, didn't want a traffic infringment. I walked over and said "get the f**k off. He was so shocked that he did. I told him to walk away and I went home. You belive this sh*t, he cost me $2 for the train ride. Should've gone to Atlantic City with all that luck. Funny, I was right below him on the train the whole time. This happened about 7 years ago.
__________________
'09 R12GS
My bikes nicer than Crazy Tim's...

9 months trying to get out, the rest of your life trying to get back in. - George Carlin
SPEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #4875
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider
 
Ginzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: South of Heaven
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEZ
"get the f**k off. He was so shocked that he did. I told him to walk away and I went home.
I love this part. You're like the Brooklyn Charles Bronson. You didn't even need a sock with a roll of quarters in it!
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014