ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #46
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
Where's the good free bike parking spots around town now? I used to park on 46 and Lex near Grand Central but it's all gone to metered parking.

City's gotten PROGRESSIVELY anti motorcycle since Bloombitch took over.

I think it's his own personal vendetta to remove all bikes off manhattan's streets.

Remember, there used to be common areas, corners, etc, dead zones, where dozens of bikes would park together (used to be one right in front of J&R music right off the Brook-bridge).......
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #47
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
yep, I remember that spot. I used to park there when I went to Pace.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #48
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
It is getting a lot harder to park in the city, just make sure you lock her down to something and take the plate off. They "usually" don't mess you than. As far as a city bike goes, have any of you guys ever considered a supermoto. They are real nimble and can take any bump the city throws at you.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:23 PM   #49
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705
It is getting a lot harder to park in the city, just make sure you lock her down to something and take the plate off. They "usually" don't mess you than. As far as a city bike goes, have any of you guys ever considered a supermoto. They are real nimble and can take any bump the city throws at you.

I commuted on my DRZ400 for about a yr, great commuter, not a supermoto though.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #50
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
i remember orion telling about stolen plate. i am not bothered much in place where i use to park so taking plate off for this purpose is not a must (got four parking tickets in four years, anyway). but have any of you ever got a plate stolen?

supermotards... i wish i could effort two bikes... if only 950sm/990sm had luggage option plus exchangable fairing, i wouldn't wonder for a second. seat wouldn't matter.
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #51
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:

NowI always remove plate and so far so good. I got one ticket with my KLR parked on the sidewalk but left the plate on. It was on 11th av with no pedestrian traffic but I guess they couldn’t resist. At home I park on the street usually at the end of the block taking advantage of the gap the cage drives leave by the crosswalk. And chaining the bike to a post or something.

One time I parked mid block and chained up to a sign post between two cars. when I came out in the morning I found that some creative thinker moved my bike parallel to the curb and then double parked next to me. No harm done but that’s some balls man. The little XT is just not menacing enough. .

But it sure is a great commuter. No extra power but it does nicely and is real easy to maneuver . It actually works ok on the freeway too, cruising at 70 for a couple hrs is not too bad.

LusterBroil screwed with this post 01-22-2008 at 02:56 PM
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #52
KTMMMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I've yet to get a ticket, park on the sidewalk lock and bag it all the time everywhere. Uptown, Downtown, Midtown, Anywhere if I can't see it it isn't safe. I either read or was told, I can't remember, that if you remove the plate it can be towed by any tow truck and dropped off at the pound where they'll pay the tow truck a fee. Then it's up to you to get it out which involves much more costly fee's/fines. Also, if it's covered the police can't, by law, remove the cover to see the plate. Anyone know if either of these/both is/are true??? NYC should encourage not discourage more motorcycles! Oh and Happy St. Patricks day!
KTMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #53
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMMMM
I've yet to get a ticket, park on the sidewalk lock and bag it all the time everywhere. Uptown, Downtown, Midtown, Anywhere if I can't see it it isn't safe. I either read or was told, I can't remember, that if you remove the plate it can be towed by any tow truck and dropped off at the pound where they'll pay the tow truck a fee. Then it's up to you to get it out which involves much more costly fee's/fines. Also, if it's covered the police can't, by law, remove the cover to see the plate. Anyone know if either of these/both is/are true??? NYC should encourage not discourage more motorcycles! Oh and Happy St. Patricks day!

Then you've gotten real lucky. I've gotten around 4 tickets on sidewalks this yr, all without a plate and all with a cover.

All listed by my VIN # and not the tag. I even went so far as to remove my VIN plate....then they actually ticketed me with the engine serial#...

From what I understand, as of yet a ticket with a vin or a serial# will not be forced unless it's part of a larger crime than parking....but most people who get them pay it anyway since they're not sure about it.

And yes, the police aren't supposed to remove the cover, but they do, I've watched them do it. Something to do with new terrorism laws, gives them that right (bombs, etc..?)

All they do is yank up the ass end of the cover anyway.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #54
KTMMMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Wow, I guess locking the cover on has paid off! I was only trying to stop homeless dudes from stealing it. I can't believe that cops would go through that kinda trouble. I asked a cop about parking on the sidewalk, off the record, and he said he didn't know any cops that gave tickets to bikes parked on the sidewalk, unless the owner of the property you're parked in front of complained. He also recommended that I cover it, I didn't ask why. I wonder what percentage of cops ride? I bet more than a few.
KTMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #55
tribeless

Oddometer: 1,522
Hiya fellas...

I come in from just outside of Princeton, although not as much as I used as the man is paying for the train

When I do ride in I'm usually on 29th btw 8th and 9th

tribeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #56
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeless
Hiya fellas...

I come in from just outside of Princeton, although not as much as I used as the man is paying for the train

the bike's looking better than ever, tribeless. new helmet i see?
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #57
Big77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
if any of you are coming in the Lincoln, I can hook you up with the bus lane secret that saves hours
Big77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #58
tribeless

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
the bike's looking better than ever, tribeless. new helmet i see?

Hi Darren

naw, just an older pic; the crash bar and headlight guard era...
tribeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:55 PM   #59
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Laugh

[QUOTE=tribeless] Hiya fellas...

I’ve seen that bike before, usually closer to 8th av? There is also a KTM and a bunch of other bikes in the area. I see a VFR parked on the sidewalk on 28th all the time, no plate, no tickets.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #60
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
but have any of you ever got a plate stolen?
I think pulling the plate is about tickets, not theft.

I got ticketed for being on the sidewalk in GREENPOINT, on a huge wide sidewalk on a largely industrial block in the middle of a pouring miserable rainstorm. With a cover that *was* locked down. $180 IIRC. Asshole actually gave me two tickets on two consecutive days (it rained like hell so I didn't move the bike). After that I only park on the sidewalk if I pull the plate, and I don't let the KLR out of my site in the city unless it's chained. Yeah, they could take a cutoff tool to my krypto chain, or cut my frame in half, or take a chainsaw to the telephone pole, but I'm willing to gamble on no one being that ambitious. knock knock. So far I haven't gotten a VIN ticket, but I admit to purposely leaving the neck of the bike nasty to further discourage it... I know someone who got the VIN ticket even with Ohio plates... I'm hoping my Michigan tags won't connect if they run it.

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote