ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #61
tribeless
_________________________
 
tribeless's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: advrider.com
Oddometer: 1,522
[QUOTE=LusterBroil]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeless
Hiya fellas...

I come in from just outside of Princeton, although not as much as I used as the man is paying for the train

When I do ride in I'm usually on 29th btw 8th and 9th

Ive seen that bike before, usually closer to 8th av? There is also a KTM and a bunch of other bikes in the area. I see a VFR parked on the sidewalk on 28th all the time, no plate, no tickets.
.
.
.
Hiya LusterBroil ...closer to 8th, that's mine

Haven't commuted much this winter for a whole bunch of reasons. Hopefully the reasons change and I'm back in the groove by this summer, at least part time.
tribeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #62
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: subject to change
Oddometer: 2,997


I ride in the city about 3-4 times a week. Perry, nice analogy with the white-water canoeing - makes a lot of sense.

Yellow cabs I have figured out - they're just looking for exposed armpits when they're empty, or gaps when they're full. Look for those too, and they're predictable. Rule #1: Never get between an empty cab and the sidewalk.

Bike messengers used to freak me out at first - but I've come to realize that these guys are so unbelievably aware of what's going on around them, and so used to everyone ignoring them, that they count on you not responding to them - at first, when I gave them extra space, etc. they always seemed uncomfortable and second-guessing the situation. Now I just ignore 'em and it's all good.

Pedestrians are insane. Newspapers, iPods, cellphones, etc. One of my favorite sports is to turn jaywalkers into jaysprinters... although the other day some dude looked like a deer in headlights, standing smack in the middle of the cross-walk. In general, though, I'm probably one of the most courteous pedestrians out there when I'm on my two feet, as a result of having to deal with the dronebots.

BTW, the yellow R12GS on 23rd by the FDR is, in fact, Tim's.

Cheers
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #63
FehdEx
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NY
Oddometer: 72
Hello my fellow hardcore NYC riders.

First, I'd like to point out what a unique (insane) group of people we are for riding where we do, nearly, everyday. To that, I agree with, nearly, everything that's been said thus far. Every morning when I'm leaving the home in Brooklyn I say to myself "well today's as good a day to die as any" and off I go into all the obstacles we all know about. Better than coffee everytime.
I'll meet you at The Ear on some Tuesday.

Parking....this is something that I think few outside of metro NYC understand. Yes, we are at war with other vehicles and the police in a vain attempt to obtain safe and legal parking. At the end of last summer I came upon the carnage that was the triangle at 36th Street and 9th Avenue after it was cleared by police tow trucks in the middle of night. Locks, chains and bodywork strewn upon the concrete with no regard to legality or care. I also started working with an organization I feel you should all know about.
http://www.parkingnow.org/home/
It's a couple of guys and a bynch of Vespa riders, but it's going to take every rider in NYC to force improvement. I'll do my best to post updates when they get more active with the season. Check it out.

Finally, to those KLR riders out there, I'm sensing a security problem with this bike in the city? I recognized it's a favorite of the yo boy gangs of whellie riding terror. I just bought a 2000 KLR 650 a month ago and tricked it for adventure travel, but it's also go to be my commuter bike. I'm gathering suggestions for security such as lock to a post, cover, disk lock. Anyone know of any ignition key protection system? Electrifying the bike? Any others are appreciated. It's such a PIA for a daily commute, but will do if necessary.

Love this thread. See you in the river.

FehdEx
__________________
FehdEx
2000 KLR 650

1995 BMW R100 GSPD Classic "Bridgit"
1975 BMW R90/6 "Antje"

I do have an amazing skill to be totally correct about things I know nothing about
FehdEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #64
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by FehdEx
Hello my fellow hardcore NYC riders.

First, I'd like to point out what a unique (insane) group of people we are for riding where we do, nearly, everyday. To that, I agree with, nearly, everything that's been said thus far. Every morning when I'm leaving the home in Brooklyn I say to myself "well today's as good a day to die as any" and off I go into all the obstacles we all know about. Better than coffee everytime.
I'll meet you at The Ear on some Tuesday.

Parking....this is something that I think few outside of metro NYC understand. Yes, we are at war with other vehicles and the police in a vain attempt to obtain safe and legal parking. At the end of last summer I came upon the carnage that was the triangle at 36th Street and 9th Avenue after it was cleared by police tow trucks in the middle of night. Locks, chains and bodywork strewn upon the concrete with no regard to legality or care. I also started working with an organization I feel you should all know about.
http://www.parkingnow.org/home/
It's a couple of guys and a bynch of Vespa riders, but it's going to take every rider in NYC to force improvement. I'll do my best to post updates when they get more active with the season. Check it out.

Finally, to those KLR riders out there, I'm sensing a security problem with this bike in the city? I recognized it's a favorite of the yo boy gangs of whellie riding terror. I just bought a 2000 KLR 650 a month ago and tricked it for adventure travel, but it's also go to be my commuter bike. I'm gathering suggestions for security such as lock to a post, cover, disk lock. Anyone know of any ignition key protection system? Electrifying the bike? Any others are appreciated. It's such a PIA for a daily commute, but will do if necessary.

Love this thread. See you in the river.

FehdEx

Smart post Fedhex, I've reserched that link, back last yr when they had the parking demonstration around city hall.

I used to say the same thing to myself when I would commute from NYC, to Brooklyn to SI, and back.

If I was you I would double chain that KLR, becoming super popular here the last few yrs.

see ya at the EAR.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #65
abenormal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
abenormal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Jersey City
Oddometer: 126
Bleeping peds just ignore the horn... if you're honking, it means you see 'em and you won't hit 'em. I've been mashing the rear brake and making the tire shriek instead, that lights a fire under their ass!
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #66
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal
Bleeping peds just ignore the horn... if you're honking, it means you see 'em and you won't hit 'em. I've been mashing the rear brake and making the tire shriek instead, that lights a fire under their ass!

Never understimate the power of a loud pipe...

to induce a ped to shit their own pants or skirt...

which adds lubrication...

which aids in a faster crossing of the street.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #67
dakarboy
ugly and stupid
 
dakarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: kinda orangish
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre

BTW, the yellow R12GS on 23rd by the FDR is, in fact, Tim's.

Cheers
shit, i keyed the wrong bike....
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #68
dakarboy
ugly and stupid
 
dakarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: kinda orangish
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
see ya at the EAR.
when are you ever at the ear?


isnt brooklyn like two states over to you manhattan folk?
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #69
dakarboy
ugly and stupid
 
dakarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: kinda orangish
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Never understimate the power of a loud pipe...

to induce a ped to shit their own pants or skirt...

which adds lubrication...

which aids in a faster crossing of the street.
i find that pulling the front end up and showing them your ugly under-carriage gets em motivated.


peds are by far and away my worst fear. i was literally knocked off my scoot at a light by a ped!!! he was running against the light and it was just about to turn green. i was letting the clutch out and was between the row of parked cars and idling cars. he tried to cut the turn and hit me like a line backer. down i went. he put his foot on my engine case to keep from falling on me. looked down and apolagized and kept on going.
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #70
abenormal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
abenormal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Jersey City
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Smart post Fedhex, I've reserched that link, back last yr when they had the parking demonstration around city hall.
I went to a ParkingNow rally at City Hall last year. It was kind of disappointing. There were maybe 3 or 4 motorcycles and a dozen or so scooters. We gathered on some steps and some people talked. The mayor didn't show.

The myth about cops not lifting covers is just that. I don't know if it was ever true, but since it's illegal to cover a motorcycle (!) in NYC I doubt it.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #71
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
when are you ever at the ear?


isnt brooklyn like two states over to you manhattan folk?
Once a month...


And I used to live in Crooklyn..
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #72
dakarboy
ugly and stupid
 
dakarboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: kinda orangish
Oddometer: 1,408
remembering your roots are you?
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #73
Zodiac
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarboy
remembering your roots are you?






possibly.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #74
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LusterBroil's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal
Bleeping peds just ignore the horn... if you're honking, it means you see 'em and you won't hit 'em. I've been mashing the rear brake and making the tire shriek instead, that lights a fire under their ass!
I'll try that, I do believe the horn is next to useless. Theyll only move if they think you will really hit them. But most of the time they are not even looking. Its scary how many venture off the curb without looking at all, as if they are daring you to hit them. I make every effort to let them cross safely, but most of time you have a cab coming up fast behind you and cannot dally too much waiting for the fucks to get out of the way. How many times has this happened?
you are sitting at a red light waiting next to a car or two that are both going straight through the intersection. The light turns green you need to scoot so you can get in front of the cars to insure a safe crossing through the intersection. But just as the light turns green you get a ped at the far crosswalk, that turns, looks at traffic coming, and then walks out into the crosswalk against the light right into you path.
.
.
.
__________________
"I like Cilantro, but you don't have to."
-- Todd Barry, on his tolerant view of cilantro
LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:13 PM   #75
abenormal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
abenormal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Jersey City
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
But most of the time they are not even looking. Its scary how many venture off the curb without looking at all
It's 10 times worse on a bicycle. They step out into the bicycle "lane" before they even bother to look, often from between parked cars or in front of a van or bus. So you're mixing it up with traffic, hauling 25 or 30 mph pedaling your ass off, a cab or delivery truck just off your left side, and some retard _looking the other direction_ steps out in front of you. Not just off the curb, mind you, but EIGHT FEET into traffic, without looking! One night some guy carrying a big bouquet of flowers out in front of himself did this exact thing to me. I picked my hand up off the handlebar to keep the flowers out of my face... OK, I slapped at them a little... and the bouquet just exploded petals all around me. It smelled nice. Of course he screamed "ASSHOLE!" at me. Yea, it's my fault, I'm the a-hole.
abenormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014