ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #76
KTMMMM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
From the sound of it I've been a VERY lucky sonofabitch! I lock the cover on with a little luggage lock on the middle grommet and two cable ties on the front and rear grommets. Like I said originally it was for the homeless dudes and wind, but a cop actually told me that the cops he knows won't lift a cover mostly because they don't want to, and second because their are more than enough cages to ticket. Just one cops opinion. It's funny because I've even parked downtown almost on the steps of the courthouse while I was working down there. As far as KLR being lifted, I'm paranoid about parking my KTM anywhere because Motards, and KTM in particular, are starting to attract ALOT of attention! another reason for covering it. I think I said this before but maybe I'm getting my forums mixed up, if you guys aren't aware LOJACK is now available in NY. I'm not saying it's the answer to all these security problems, but it's definitely another form of protection. I've been to the EAR also and we've all got to get together some night, if for nothing else, to be able to put a face with a bike! I'm of the opinion that all things two wheels are good, so whatever ya ride BMW, KTM, HONDA, YAMAHA, Dare I say HARLEY It's all good to me!

Be safe, and if ya can't at least take pics and post em!

John...
KTMMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #77
Sitnon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Those little ticket fuck*rs are the reason that I'm hesistant to wake my bike up for the season. Last year was the worst for insane and unreasonable tickets. I got one for having a cover on my bike. That's right, $65 for covering my bike and obstructing the view of my plate. The second one, which still amazes me, was for an apparently absent inspection sticker. I don't know where you guys keep yours, but up on the front fork is where the folks at the shop have placed mine. Anyway, this yahoo couldn't see past his little pad that he carries around with him and wrote me a ticket for not having it. The kicker is that I appealed it TWICE providing photographic proof that I had it and they still denied me. They do have it out for us.
I've kept my white GS up on the 88 and CPW and more recently in mid-town on 10th. I'll keep my eyes open for my fellow riders. I agree, it would be nice to find a place to hook up and put faces with names, preferably early in the season.
Sitnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 AM   #78
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
morning folks,
can anybody advice me, what is a 'blue zone'? no speculations, please. the zone is supposed to be settled downtown manhattan. i'll tell you later why i'm asking.
kamil
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:56 AM   #79
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenormal
It's 10 times worse on a bicycle.
I agree. I think commuting on a bicycle is much worse than on a moto although I think riding a bicycle is good training for city moto riding.

You get NO respect from peds when you're on a bike. Although I do have people crossing in front of me absentmindedly, when I'm coming through an intersection with the PIAAs and hibeam on I blast the horn few short times and stand on the pegs the peds step back onto the curb.

You think deer are bad? Try riding a bicycle on the Brooklyn Bridge with camera-toting tourists and peds wandering into the bike path. Fuggedaboutit.

For twenty years I've ridden a bicycle all over the city but mostly stopped since I bought a motorcycle. Yesterday I had the gas tank off the GS so I took out a bicycle to run an errand and I felt really vulnerable--not only to the peds but also to the potholes.

At least they can't ticket your bicycle....
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #80
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew

Oh yes they can, supposedly the cops where pulling over cyclists recently on 6th av and ticketing for not having a bell. Did you know you had to have a bell on your bicycle? I too feel very vulnerable when on my mountain bike, not much protective gear other then helmet and gloves. But you do get to use the ped lanes on the bridges and arrive at work all sweaty
Old 03-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #81
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil
Oh yes they can, supposedly the cops where pulling over cyclists recently on 6th av and ticketing for not having a bell. Did you know you had to have a bell on your bicycle? I too feel very vulnerable when on my mountain bike, not much protective gear other then helmet and gloves. But you do get to use the ped lanes on the bridges and arrive at work all sweaty

Think that's bad..... they gave out tickets to motorcyclist who had their face shields up , while riding. Turns out you need to prove you have shatter resistant sunglasses, or your visor down, while moving on the bike.
(Guy tried to fight it by saying he had sunglasses on)

BTW had two friends last summer get tickets on bicylces, one I belive was because he rode up onto a sidewalk to park his bike.
Sergi over at BMWManhattan told me about this one.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #82
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil

yes, you're right they certainly can ticket bicycle riders. hell, you can even get arrested doing one of the critical mass rides.

what i meant was at least they don't ticket the bikes for parking.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #83
dakarboy
ugly and stupid

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
yet....
dakarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #84
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
yes, you're right they certainly can ticket bicycle riders. hell, you can even get arrested doing one of the critical mass rides.

I wonder if they could ticket a parked bike for not having a bell, equipment violation? Of course tracing the serial number to the current owner would be tough

I’ve done the crit mass thing a couple of times, it was pretty fun. Didn’t get arrested, that would not be fun.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #85
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Any of you NYC commuters park a GS by the TV studios on 26th and 7th?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #86
priller
-

talking tickets. i could have been two years ago. i parked my dakar in ann street by j&r. i knew the street was highly restricted but saw a pole with temporarily removed sign and decided to give it a shot. 30 min in j&r and there was a ticket behind a saddle simply stating 'parking in blue zone'. 'wtf?' i thought. even though was humble expat working like a slave i took few hours off and went to financial department. 3 hours of waiting and i seated at the front of judge. rise your left hand, do you swear to tell truth... etc etc. i had a pictures of the street without any sign, i walked around to find out, if there was any indication of 'the blue zone'. not a single sign. red zone yes but not a blue one. guys like me are screwed. really bad english is what makes me a looser. i wish i could discuss a blue zone issue, yet i wasn't aggressive enough to argue with him. i had no choice but accept his statement that signage is everywhere. day after that i was looking for signs on my usual route: brooklyn bridge entry, right into centre, left into chambers, left into b'way, left into ann street. plenty of 'red zone' signs, not a single one for 'blue zone'. this is why i am asking about blue zone. i am requested to swear to tell nothing but the truth and then i am being lied by a judge?
love this flyin' circus of mickey bloomthon.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #87
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Yarrai
I have been riding my bike in and out of the city for several years now. I use to be a union worker so I worked all over the place. I live in the city now and only go from point A to B but either way I have never seen a sign or even heard of this "Blue Zone". Exactlywhat are does it cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
talking tickets. i could have been two years ago. i parked my dakar in ann street by j&r. i knew the street was highly restricted but saw a pole with temporarily removed sign and decided to give it a shot. 30 min in j&r and there was a ticket behind a saddle simply stating 'parking in blue zone'. 'wtf?' i thought. even though was humble expat working like a slave i took few hours off and went to financial department. 3 hours of waiting and i seated at the front of judge. rise your left hand, do you swear to tell truth... etc etc. i had a pictures of the street without any sign, i walked around to find out, if there was any indication of 'the blue zone'. not a single sign. red zone yes but not a blue one. guys like me are screwed. really bad english is what makes me a looser. i wish i could discuss a blue zone issue, yet i wasn't aggressive enough to argue with him. i had no choice but accept his statement that signage is everywhere. day after that i was looking for signs on my usual route: brooklyn bridge entry, right into centre, left into chambers, left into b'way, left into ann street. plenty of 'red zone' signs, not a single one for 'blue zone'. this is why i am asking about blue zone. i am requested to swear to tell nothing but the truth and then i am being lied by a judge?
love this flyin' circus of mickey bloomthon.
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #88
priller
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705
I have never seen a sign or even heard of this "Blue Zone".
neither have i. that's why i am asking. well, my dakar was bluish. that might be a tip.

btw, how are you? how's recovery?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #89
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
I am moving around a bit but it will be 2-3 months before i am back on a bike. It is going to be a slow recovery. I def. feel better, thanks for asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrai
btw, how are you? how's recovery?
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #90
LusterBroil OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705
I am moving around a bit but it will be 2-3 months before i am back on a bike. It is going to be a slow recovery. I def. feel better, thanks for asking.
Hey Jolly, I 'm glad you are getting better.

Should just be getting warm by the time you can ride again Any word on what happened to your bike?

Karl