ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #931
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Have a beer or three for me!

Wait…on second thought, I’ll have a beer for me by the pool here in the Philippines.

Damn…work is tough! ;)

Tipsy
Grab some pictures and bring me a cute philipino lolita, make sure she's of carry on size. ;)
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #932
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
thanks Rock for the head's up...

yesterday was beautiful riding around town but i had two disappointments:

1. despite a brownie telling me that only NYPD tickets bikes on sidewalks i still had another brownie attempt to write me (30th at park ave.) tag wasn't mounted thankfully...guess i'll hafta get some velcro.

2. my EZpass failed twice on the BBTunnel, leaving me open to being rear-ended (BBT has those "arms" that block the lane until toll is paid.) very unsafe...why don't they just take a picture and charge my accouint?????!?!?! are nonfunctioning EZpass tags the norm on bikes????
for me it works half the time...always in my tankbag map pocket.

had my first earburger...very nice. lots more gixxers there this week than last

finally...what's with all the at the ear? i have a no-drink rule and thought it was more or less universal...strange to see so many people drink so much beer while riding. for me, drinking is about the buzz...which is precisely why it's a bad idea to mix the two wonderful activities. oh well...

take care, until next time.

abe
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #933
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Worked too late. Too tired for The Ear. Wife and I really want to make Matchless this Monday. Anyone up for it, or is it too early to tell. Have to take the old bike the G/S is pumping out too much oil to trust and the timing chain is making slapping noises. This can not be a good thing. Time to do the motor swap. Any chance of getting a Flatbush group together to do the ride out. Brooklyn get back to me.
Alfred
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #934
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Grab some pictures and bring me a cute philipino lolita, make sure she's of carry on size. ;)
They're all of carry on size :)

Looking forward to the Ear when I get back.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #935
bostonsr
Just weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy
Worked too late. Too tired for The Ear. Wife and I really want to make Matchless this Monday. Anyone up for it, or is it too early to tell. Have to take the old bike the G/S is pumping out too much oil to trust and the timing chain is making slapping noises. This can not be a good thing. Time to do the motor swap. Any chance of getting a Flatbush group together to do the ride out. Brooklyn get back to me.
Alfred
if you swing by my way we can two-ship it up there. bed stuy home depot meetup?

abe
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #936
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
thanks
2. my EZpass failed twice on the BBTunnel, leaving me open to being rear-ended (BBT has those "arms" that block the lane until toll is paid.) very unsafe...why don't they just take a picture and charge my accouint?????!?!?! are nonfunctioning EZpass tags the norm on bikes????

Not uncommon...happens to me all the time at the Tri-Borough. Never felt unsafe...just inconvenienced. I always anticipate the gate failing to lift so I'm approaching slow enough to mitigate the likelihood of getting rear-ended. EZ-Pass in jacket chest pocket.

Quote:
finally...what's with all the at the ear? i have a no-drink rule and thought it was more or less universal...strange to see so many people drink so much beer while riding. for me, drinking is about the buzz...which is precisely why it's a bad idea to mix the two wonderful activities. oh well...
Everyone has their own personal tolerance. We can always see if there's a Baskin Robbins that's willing to start a bike night. Thirty-one flavors for 100 Dicks!

Sorry Rob, couldn't resist :)

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #937
rtrider
Lost

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:

abe
had this problem as well when in tank bag - and it never worked for me in breast pocket of darien jacket. I just 3-m velco-ed it to the screen of my duc and to the gps mount on my rt and it hasn't failed once since.
I'm not interested in turning all men into super sensitive, politically correct and gender neutral pansies. They're men for jeebus sakes. If I wanted to live in a gender neutral world, I'd vote for getting everyone, men and women alike, fixed. - Wings
rtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #938
bostonsr
Just weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrider
had this problem as well when in tank bag - and it never worked for me in breast pocket of darien jacket. I just 3-m velco-ed it to the screen of my duc and to the gps mount on my rt and it hasn't failed once since.
u know, i just might try to ziptie it somewhere on the bike. it's probably sensitive to semi-fixed mounting or line of sight issues. might just be missing the sweetspot wich may be lower/higher/left/right of my current mount. i think as high as possible and as centered as possible are best bets tho i wonder then how those tag-mounted external ones work. the clue for me was when the officer took my tag and plopped it down on the silver 3"x4"x4" magic box mounted on the top of the actuator for the "arm." didn't work the first time, flipped it over, and bang it worked.

does anyone know how the ezpass transmitters work? do they recieve an activation signal which prompts a response/IDENT signal from the unit? or do they always broadcast 24/7?

this might just be a low battery issue...

abe
Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #939
bostonsr
Just weight

who was the hot redhead on the monster without much gear?

yum.

abe
Old 05-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #940
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
I used to have some EZ-Pass issues at BBT as well. I mounted mine to the inside of the left handguard with the heavy-duty velcro that they supply with the tag. I found that when I approach the tollbooth I have to make sure the left handguard is centered under the detector for it to reliably work. This involves riding in the right wheel track, which is fine as it allows me to avoid that grease strip in the middle of the lane.

I lost my original EZ-Pass which I had had for a few years. Haven't had any detection problems with the new one, so perhaps a bad battery shared part of the blame. Those tags do have a battery inside and if you start to notice a lot of problems with the detector not reading it, send it back to EZ-Pass and exchange it for a new one. You can request a new one, then send back your old one after receiving the new one so you are never without a tag.

Sorry I missed you guys at Matchless and the Ear this week. Been workin' late.
The Jerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #941
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Thirty-one flavors for 100 Dicks!

Sorry Rob, couldn't resist :)
Nice.

BTW, I think HaChayalBoded is an expert on EZ pass.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #942
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,739
ez pass

after much experimentation, i finally found an ez pass solution that works all the time, even on the henry hudson and triboro bridges (the worst two in my experience):

small map holder that velcroes onto handlebars. there's just enough room for a garage opener in addition to my ezpass. or some directions.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #943
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
New ezpass. Still have trouble at the BBT. Usually need a PA Cop to bang it on the box.

Do not trust the velcro, lost a pass on the willis ave bridge at the start of a long trip.

Can do a bed sty swing by. will get back to you. what time is good for you.

I thought that HaChayalBoded was the inventor of the toll gate limbo.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #944
WhitsEnd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
NYC apt success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeikis
Hey Whit--
...One more place to look would be Carroll Gardens--it's a little further south but is definitely a great neighborhood for an active late 20 something--great bars and restaurants without being obnoxiously hip. Slightly longer commute, but it's a reliable quick train.

As far as bike advice--finding a garage is like finding a million dollars. Most of us use a big lock and a cover. Bar Matchless in Greenpoint on Mondays and the Ear Inn in the city on Tuesdays are two gathering spots. What do you ride?

Luke
Wanted to give a quick thanks Luke, TengaiJohn and Road Dog for their housing advice back in mid April. Found a place down in Carroll Gardens for the summer and am scouting some fenced parking next door for my drz. Looking forward to some NYC / LI / NJ adventures this summer and will make a stop into the Matchless and the Ear Inn before too long.

Thanks again,

Whit
WhitsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #945
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
So what's the deal on parking on sidewalks? I keep seeing a yellow 1150GS parked on a sidewalk next to my office, but I hesitate to do the same (43rd between 3rd and Lexington)...

What's the beef? I asked a traffic cop and all he did was "park in the designated are" preach me...