ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #961
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
dude, settle, I read it.

All I know is they gave me a ticket twice from reading my VIN # and once from reading my inspection sticker.

I never paid the one from the inspection sticker because I traded the bike in a month later (and rule of thumb in NYC is never just pay it, check the NYC ticket website where you punch in your tag#), and it never materialized.

I know when I got my new reg renewal in the mail last week for 08 stciker (on plate) via mail from DMV, it had a paper to fill out with the #NUMBER on your inspection sticker and the date it expires.
It's cool I just think the thing is super immature. Not directed at you, but in general.
VIN's are how they fuck you. Want to know the inspection sticker trick in terms of your registration so they can't tie it in? There are actually two, one is have your inspections expire in May, write the old sticker number when you mail in your registration and get it reinspected on May 1st. The easier trick is throw out the renewal notice and do it online, they do not ask for an inspection sticker if you renew online.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #962
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
It's cool I just think the thing is super immature. Not directed at you, but in general.
VIN's are how they fuck you. Want to know the inspection sticker trick in terms of your registration so they can't tie it in? There are actually two, one is have your inspections expire in May, write the old sticker number when you mail in your registration and get it reinspected on May 1st. The easier trick is throw out the renewal notice and do it online, they do not ask for an inspection sticker if you renew online.
I hear ya, NYC sucks for bikes (and only getting worse).

I'll try the online thing next yr
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #963
TipsyMcStagger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I know when I got my new reg renewal in the mail last week for 08 stciker (on plate) via mail from DMV, it had a paper to fill out with the #NUMBER on your inspection sticker and the date it expires.
I renewed online.

When you do it this way, there is a box you have to check acknowledging that you have a current NYS inspection. No need to enter a specific sticker number.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 PM   #964
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Hi Perry,
I think Richbebe is right. My inspector only writes down my info in his " Composit" note book. There is no real cross check with DMV but I can check on that.
In Midtown I worry more about doormen than Brownies.
The vin # tickets are your fault. If you keep the bike clean they can read your stuff. A healty petroleum based eco-system growing on the bike can prevent these unwarranted searches and siezures.
Grunge on Brother. Hope to see you at Matchless.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:36 PM   #965
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
it appears that the answer to the sidewalk parking issue is:

on a number of issues, not least of which is how lazy/mean a parking attendant wants to be.

"at your own risk" is the only univeral advice. i just donno where i'll post the Muni-Meter ticket on a bike, someone can steal it easily, or it can blow away...so i park on the sidewalk.

abe
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #966
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsr
i just donno where i'll post the Muni-Meter ticket on a bike, someone can steal it easily, or it can blow away...so i park on the sidewalk.
I've always wondered about those things. Very easy for a cager to grab it and put it in his/her windshield. I asked a brownie about it and their response was that they don't ticket bikes. (This was last year. We all know this is the year of NYC moto revenue). In fact, I even called 311 and they sort of sputtered about it. Couldn't give me a real answer about where to put the ticket on the bike. So, I figure you have to just hold on to the receipt. If you get a ticket, you can mail the ticket and the receipt to get out of it. But I've been ignoring the muni-meters altogether. I figure, if I get 2 parking tickets a year, I got a great deal on parking in NYC. So far, I haven't gotten any.

I'm sure I just jinxed myself and will get a ticket this weekend...
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #967
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

I do not buy them, I just park and walk away. I was told by a parking judge that they will automatically dismiss any ticket written to a motorcycle for failure to display a receipt. I was also told that "brownies" are told not to ticket motorcycles for not having receipts. I park on heavily ticketed Austin St. in Forest Hills a few times a week and never got a ticket.
If you do get a ticket, calim you had the receipt and it was taken via the internet. Do not waste your time going to fight it, do it online.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 AM   #968
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy
Hi Perry,
I think Richbebe is right. My inspector only writes down my info in his " Composit" note book. There is no real cross check with DMV but I can check on that.
In Midtown I worry more about doormen than Brownies.
The vin # tickets are your fault. If you keep the bike clean they can read your stuff. A healty petroleum based eco-system growing on the bike can prevent these unwarranted searches and siezures.
Grunge on Brother. Hope to see you at Matchless.
Hey OBB, I guess it's not clear exactly what they can and can't do. I have seen the bar code readers, but the ticket may be bogus, either way if I sent my inspec # in with my new reg then I'm sure there's a way to connect them inside the DMV, at least till I get another inspection.

I used to cover my VIN with heavy chrome tape, then cover it in flat black, but they eventually pulled it off. So I removed the rivets to the VIN and that settled that...

I also think there's a difference in the amount of tickets people who only commute into manhattan will receive compared to people who park them here 24/7.

I never seem to get them during work/normal hours, it's usually at night or at odd wknds, etc.

See ya at Matchless!
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #969
old brooklyn boy
Talking Dog

Oddometer: 459
Hey Perry,
I was not kidding when I said let it get dirty,
Read the following section from the Penal law. A prosecution is unlikely. The real problem is that during the summer riding season. Yes some people have a riding season. When bike thefts are very high (or like two years ago when there was a ring stealing bikes on order for the local and international market) The Auto crime unit will check or have checked by trafic enforcement, street cops, neighborhood watch etc to see if there are matching numbers or signs of missing or tampered with numbers. I have had clients bikes towed and impounded as evidence pending an ongoing investigation. They all got the bikes back but it was a royal pain in the ass. Put the vin back on put on a protective coat of grease and let nature take its course. If they clean it eat the ticket.
I also had a problem with a client who bought a bike at a police auction fixed it up and was latter arrested for possesion of a stolen vehicle. They sold it and gave him title but never removed it from the original stolen vehicle hot sheet. Got the bike back sued for false arrest but spent the night in lockup,
got the tour of central booking and got to meet the Judge and if he wasn't a riding buddy would have gotten to pay a lawyer for the priviledge.
Aint life grand
See you at matchless
Section 170.70 Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number.

A person is guilty of illegal possession of a vehicle identification number when:

(1) He knowingly possesses a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate which has been removed from the vehicle or vehicle part to which such label, sticker or plate was affixed by the manufacturer in accordance with the provisions of the federal motor vehicle and information cost savings act (15 U.S.C. section 1901, et seq.) and regulations promulgated thereunder or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law; or

(2) He knowingly possesses a vehicle or vehicle part to which is attached a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate or on which is stamped or embossed a vehicle identification number which has been destroyed, covered, defaced, altered or otherwise changed, or a vehicle or vehicle part from which a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate has been removed, which label, sticker or plate was affixed in accordance with the provisions of the federal motor vehicle and information cost savings act (15 U.S.C. section 1901, et seq.) or regulations promulgated thereunder, except when he has complied with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(3) He knowingly possesses a vehicle, or part of a vehicle to which by law or regulation must be attached a vehicle identification number, either (a) with a vehicle identification number label, sticker, or plate which was not affixed by the manufacturer in accordance with the provisions of the federal motor vehicle and information cost savings act (15 U.S.C. section 1901, et seq.) or regulations promulgated thereunder, or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or regulations promulgated thereunder, or (b) on which is affixed, stamped or embossed a vehicle identification number which was not affixed, stamped or embossed by the manufacturer, or in accordance with the provisions of the federal motor vehicle and information cost savings act (15 U.S.C. section 1901, et seq.) or regulations promulgated thereunder or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or regulations promulgated thereunder.

Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number is a class E felony
Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #970
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old brooklyn boy
Hey Perry,
I was not kidding when I said let it get dirty,
When I was younger and used to think, flashing red lights, meant down shift and gun it, I used to spray my license plate with chain lube. Ride around and it gets illegible but looks natural.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #971
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I do not buy them, I just park and walk away. I was told by a parking judge that they will automatically dismiss any ticket written to a motorcycle for failure to display a receipt. I was also told that "brownies" are told not to ticket motorcycles for not having receipts. I park on heavily ticketed Austin St. in Forest Hills a few times a week and never got a ticket.
If you do get a ticket, calim you had the receipt and it was taken via the internet. Do not waste your time going to fight it, do it online.
Austin St, I lived in that neighborhood for 12 years....

Rich, you available next week? I've been pretty busy this week and haven't had the time to play with the springs. let me know.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #972
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn
Austin St, I lived in that neighborhood for 12 years....

Rich, you available next week? I've been pretty busy this week and haven't had the time to play with the springs. let me know.
I think so, not sure which afternoons yet. Monday and Thursday are a definite no. I will PM you over the weekend.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #973
Extorris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
The easier trick is throw out the renewal notice and do it online, they do not ask for an inspection sticker if you renew online

Was using that trick for 3 years with my car but then got a notice with my last renewal saying how their computer shows my vehicle hadn't been inspected and I need to send it in by mail with a valid inspection sticker number. I don't think they care about bikes though.

BTW- Highway Patrol doing alot of enforcement for lane splitting on the GCP , both directions, near the gas station by the Clearview. Saw it during the afternoon rush hour, had about 20 bikes stopped.
Extorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #974
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,612
Quote:
BBT has those "arms" that block the lane until toll is paid.) very unsafe

abe
uhh yea............
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #975
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,612
Quote:
who was the hot redhead on the monster without much gear?

yum.

abe
could be suzzanna, just yell suzzanna if she answers you knows thats her name
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote